Whale hunting in Faroe Islands?

We've booked on HAL Veendam for Voyage of the Vikings, and have really been looking forward to it. But today, my wife got an email from a friend who warned her that we may be cruising there during their local whale hunting season. The details of the hunt that were shared in the email were quite gruesome.

Surely HAL would be sensitive to an issue that might be upsetting to some guests, wouldn't they?

Has anyone any experience to share?

Thank you.....

I've stopped in the Faroe Islands several times over the years (maybe 5? 6?). I've never seen anything that could be construed as "upsetting" or "gruesome".

If anything like that was going on, it was well away from the typical tourist areas.

Now, if one were to go out on a whaling boat---

Go and enjoy a place that is truly off the beaten path. I have never seen any other place that is both so desolate and lush at the same time.

I can't imagine they'd be anywhere near where we will be in the Faroes on the Vo of V. We've been to the Faroes before and there's a lot of water in and amongst the islands...doubt we'd see any problems that our captain wouldn't know about since it would be a hazard to navigation.

We've booked on HAL Veendam for Voyage of the Vikings, and have really been looking forward to it. But today, my wife got an email from a friend who warned her that we may be cruising there during their local whale hunting season. The details of the hunt that were shared in the email were quite gruesome.

Surely HAL would be sensitive to an issue that might be upsetting to some guests, wouldn't they?

Has anyone any experience to share?

Thank you.....

Don't worry 9 out of 10 times the ship won't make it in there because of heavy fog...

Thank you for opening my eyes to this "event." I was not aware of it and indeed, from researching "the Grind" as it's called, I'm abhorred, since it really does no good. It's not like our Alaska natives who use all the products of their whale kills.

Much as the Faroes are beautiful and I have a tour lined up for them, I agree with some other posters (Disney) that HAL should reconsider this port. Disney is boycotting the Faroes for this summer.

About 8 years ago we did a Voyage of the Vikings on HAL. As we sailed into the Faroe Islands, we could see red water in a area near our sail in. As we got closer, we could see hundreds of whales in the inlet. Men were stabbing them. There was much blood in the water. When we returned from our tour that day, all the whales were hanging around the docks. There really were a lot of them. They were smaller whales. I think we were told they were pilot whales. Our tour guide that day explained what we saw that day. They can only kill the whales by stabbing them. They can't use any modern methods. We were told the whales are used for food to sustain the people over the winter. The meat is given to the poor. I have pictures but have no idea how to post them.

Yeah, can't use modern methods because that would take away their fun. This is a community event , slaughtering whales as brutally as they can . It's disgusting . The locals rejoice in the kill, they literally turn it into a party. I hope Paul Watson and the Sea Shepard continue to disrupt the grind.

Did you read the Wikipedia article? It's against the law to cause the whales unnecessary pain and suffering. I'm not sure what modern methods would result in less suffering, they do use a modern killing tool that severs the spine and arteries leading to the brain resulting in death within 2 minutes (usually around 30 seconds). That's a lot less brutal than most hunts of wild animals.

This is sickening. I must say I'd really been looking forward to visiting the Faroe Islands. I don't expect everywhere I go to have the same cultural standards that I do......but had no idea people in a beautiful place like this would still embrace such a practice.

Maybe HAL should go back to the Shetland Islands stop and skip this one in the future.

Just knowing it's happening is going to make the Vestmanna Cliffs not so beautiful in my eyes.

Is it safe to assume that none of you visit areas that allow for hunting (deer, ducks, etc) in the US, or if you do the thought ruins your visit? (No, the initial shot frequently does NOT kill the deer/duck.) Now I am not in favor of what apparently is done to the whales, but before we cast stones ------ (oh the flames to follow!)

About 8 years ago we did a Voyage of the Vikings on HAL. As we sailed into the Faroe Islands, we could see red water in a area near our sail in. As we got closer, we could see hundreds of whales in the inlet. Men were stabbing them. There was much blood in the water. When we returned from our tour that day, all the whales were hanging around the docks. There really were a lot of them. They were smaller whales. I think we were told they were pilot whales. Our tour guide that day explained what we saw that day. They can only kill the whales by stabbing them. They can't use any modern methods. We were told the whales are used for food to sustain the people over the winter. The meat is given to the poor. I have pictures but have no idea how to post them.

If the whales are non-endangered species and I do not know if they are, what is the difference between killing them and killing cows, sheep, and other mammals as long as you eat the meat and do not throw it out.

Let me tell you a very short eating animals story. We stayed in a B&B in semi-rural Alaska outside of Seward once. The owner had a number of animals wandering around including 2 turkeys. Another guest who was from Anchorage by the way asked the owner if the turkeys had names. The owner responded that one was named Thanksgiving and one was named Christmas. The response in horror from the Anchorage Alaskan where turkeys come from supermarkets was "you mean you actually eat your turkeys".

DON

I have been to the Faroe Islands 3 times on HAL. Each time, I have made a personal decision to stay on the ship. I suppose that HAL leaves the stop on their itineraries because it is, as someone pointed out, "off the beaten path." I do not agree with the whaling methods used, but it's a personal choice - therefore I do not spend my time or money on shore. Unfortunately I can't take back the port charges/taxes that I pay for the ability to stop there, but it's something at least.

If the whales are non-endangered species and I do not know if they are, what is the difference between killing them and killing cows, sheep, and other mammals as long as you eat the meat and do not throw it out.

DON

Pilot whales are not endangered. I looked into this expecting horrors based on what was posted here, and found that the whale hunt is actually a lot more humane than what the cows your hamburger comes from go through. It is not gratuitous killing for fun, the meat is a vital part of the indigenous diet.

I'm not saying you have to like to be around when there is a hunt going down, but to say that these people have fun killing the whales as brutally as they can is simply an outright lie.

Thank you to all who posted useful information. I guess forewarned is forearmed. We will just plan to be careful.

Further, I understand that traveling exposes one to differences in culture. That is one of the attractions of seeing faraway places. I’m not anti-hunting. I just don’t care to witness it taking place.

Also, I appreciate that for a majority of people (myself included), meat is food. Nevertheless, I would be highly unlikely to schedule a vacation trip that included a tour of an abattoir.

We cruise for fun, and we will make sure that the upcoming trip meets that goal.

Regards to all....:)

Interesting discussion. I would like to visit the Faroe Islands. I agree with the OP - I respect cultural differences , but would not care to see the hunt.

After reading this discussion ,mInread several articles on the subject. It seems this practice is an important part of the community's culture and has been part of this isolated land for over a thousand years. While it is gruesome , if you look at the numbers and compare it to the pork and beef industry , or poultry industry , or duck or deer hunting , I think we shouldn't rush to judgement.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140911-faroe-island-pilot-whale-hunt-animals-ocean-science/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you research further you will find that the government has declared that they should only eat the whale meat once a month at most and most women and girls should never eat it due to the level of carcinogens in it. The meat is no longer any great part of any Faroese diet. Interesting.

When you research further you will find that the government has declared that they should only eat the whale meat once a month at most and most women and girls should never eat it due to the level of carcinogens in it. The meat is no longer any great part of any Faroese diet. Interesting.

Fantastic. Perhaps the Faroese government could give every other government around the world a lesson in how to get people to strictly follow government dietary advice.

That's why I find it disgusting. Killing the whales is not a necessity but a sport. I realize that the grind is part of their culture but that doesn't make it right.

I have no problem with someone killing an animal for food. Sport killings I do have an issue with whether it's a lion, duck or whale.

The Faroe citizens also use modern technology in their grind. Motorized boats, sonar etc make this an easy slaughter . If they care about their traditions so much go back to the beginning and use row boats and luck. At least give the whales a fighting chance.