Dolphin Encounters with Kids

LuCruise

When we travel next April our kids will be 10.5 and 6.5 years old.

Anyone done a dolphin excursion with young kids? I'm more concerned with my 6.5 year old....especially as she's just starting to learn to swim (yeah, we started late and she's been scared to put her head in the water until recently so she's slow at progressing).

I think my DS would love this, so if we were to do one, anything specific to look for? e.g. pool vs ocean

PS - We're doing Eastern and will be stopping at Bahamas, St Maarten and St Thomas...but the Bahamas Dolphin Excursions are the most expensive.

You will need to look up the specific dolphin encounter options at the sites you will visit. In Jamaica, there is a Dolphin touch program in which participants stand in very shallow water, and the dolphins come up and kiss you. There is no age restriction on this experience since parents can carry their children (the water came up to my knees), and we were able to do it with our 2 year old son. I'm not entirely certain if all dolphin centers offer this option, so your best bet would be to search their website or email them for this information. They should also be able to tell you the water level and swimming abilities required to participate in a dolphin swim experience.

Please also note that anytime I've done a dolphin swim, I was required to wear a life vest while in the water. Some swimming ability is helpful, but I don't think that you need to be a very good swimmer if you are wearing a life vest. Whether or not life vests are mandatory might be another good question to email the dolphin center.

You will need to look up the specific dolphin encounter options at the sites you will visit. In Jamaica, there is a Dolphin touch program in which participants stand in very shallow water, and the dolphins come up and kiss you. There is no age restriction on this experience since parents can carry their children (the water came up to my knees), and we were able to do it with our 2 year old son. I'm not entirely certain if all dolphin centers offer this option, so your best bet would be to search their website or email them for this information. They should also be able to tell you the water level and swimming abilities required to participate in a dolphin swim experience.

Please also note that anytime I've done a dolphin swim, I was required to wear a life vest while in the water. Some swimming ability is helpful, but I don't think that you need to be a very good swimmer if you are wearing a life vest. Whether or not life vests are mandatory might be another good question to email the dolphin center.

Thanks for the reply. The ones that seemed offered in St Maarten and St Thomas look like they are in the ocean, so that is a bit of a concern for a young one. Having said that, one of them does list an age of 3.

The exception to this is one offered in Bahamas that looks like it's in a pool and it does mention 'shallow water', but it's quite $$$ since its at The Atlantis.

Edited by LuCruise

We've done both the shallow water "kiss and hug" program, and the deeper water swim with dolphins. Our son is a pretty good swimmer, but he was completely intimidated by the deep water and the dolphin "push and pull" (you hold onto the fin and it pulls you, or you "stand" straight and it pushes your feet.)

We did both at different times in Cozumel, so I don't have experience with the places you are considering going. Where we did it, it was ocean water that was basically channeled into manmade smaller pools. You stood on a grate (a slimy, somewhat slippery grate) for your interactions.

I would definitely look for a "dolphin interaction" rather than a "dolphin swim." I loved the dolphin swim, but it would almost certainly be too much for a 6.5 year old who is not a strong swimmer. The person swimming with the dolphins had to swim by themselves into deep water for the swim portion. Stick with the interactions that are usually described as hug, kiss, dance, photo op.

Edited by GoldenRose

We've done both the shallow water "kiss and hug" program, and the deeper water swim with dolphins. Our son is a pretty good swimmer, but he was completely intimidated by the deep water and the dolphin "push and pull" (you hold onto the fin and it pulls you, or you "stand" straight and it pushes your feet.)

We did both at different times in Cozumel, so I don't have experience with the places you are considering going. Where we did it, it was ocean water that was basically channeled into manmade smaller pools. You stood on a grate (a slimy, somewhat slippery grate) for your interactions.

I would definitely look for a "dolphin interaction" rather than a "dolphin swim." I loved the dolphin swim, but it would almost certainly be too much for a 6.5 year old who is not a strong swimmer. The person swimming with the dolphins had to swim by themselves into deep water for the swim portion. Stick with the interactions that are usually described as hug, kiss, dance, photo op.

Thank you. I took a closer look and the ones listed as "Dolphin Encounter" state a minimum age of 3 whereas the ones as "Dolphin Swim" have a minimum age of 8. But both Encounter options look like they are at a beach...so maybe they are as you experienced in Cozumel.

Anyone done a dolphin excursion with young kids? I'm more concerned with my 6.5 year old....especially as she's just starting to learn to swim (yeah, we started late and she's been scared to put her head in the water until recently so she's slow at progressing).

This may not be an issue for your daughter but I'll mention it just in case. We just did a dolphin encounter with our almost-4 year old and it was almost over before it began. The first thing the trainer had the dolphin do was dramatically splash everyone and DS freaked out about getting so much water in his face.

Eventually we calmed him down and he had a great time petting and kissing the dolphin. And the trainer warned us the next time a splash was scheduled.

This may not be an issue for your daughter but I'll mention it just in case. We just did a dolphin encounter with our almost-4 year old and it was almost over before it began. The first thing the trainer had the dolphin do was dramatically splash everyone and DS freaked out about getting so much water in his face.

Eventually we calmed him down and he had a great time petting and kissing the dolphin. And the trainer warned us the next time a splash was scheduled.

Thank you for the warning. I think that would actually freak my DD out too. So sorry that your DS was scared and so cut back from the experience.

Do you remember which excursion this was (or where you were)?

I'm sorry - I should have mentioned it also - the splash might be more universal, since there was one at our son's dolphin encounter also. Thankfully, the splash happened last so even though he was a little unhappy, it was at the end of the excursion.

Thanks for the splash warnings. If we know about it, then we can prepare her for it and she'd be ok.

The Dolphin Encounters are pricey. Would you say they are worth it with young kids? Or better when they are a bit older?

Just a thought...I know you are not going here BUT if you cruise a lot (or have any other plans to cruise), the absolute best (IMO) and cheapest place we have found to do it is in Cozumel at Dolphin Discovery, which is located at their National Park (which is gorgeous with tons of other things to do there). We have checked out every dolphin swim place at all the other ports and the pricing is OUTRAGEOUS!!! At dolphin discovery, the prices are great and they have sales all the time for BOGO or BO and get the other for $1 all the time. It definitely is worth it.

Our daughter did her first swim (encounter) at the age of 3 and my other daughter (which was 24 at the time) did the swim where they boost you up from your feet and glide across the water. It was the best time ever.

We vowed that we would take our 3 year old (at the time) back to do the actual "swim" once she got old enough to do that (she is now 7) and we will head back to Cozumel to do it. So worth it. :)