Disappointed

Thank you for the info. Those prices are not too bad vs what we Canadians pay up here. In my neck of the woods Walmart and Costco can't sell booze we have to buy it at the government owned Liquor Store or a few independent wine only stores. I wonder if the price of French or Australian wines will be going down since those countries currencies have weakened significantly to your U.S. dollar recently.;)

I know that I'm in the minority when it comes to complaining about RCCL drink prices, but.....when any of you go to any restaurant, what do you pay for a glass of wine? Around here, in CHAIN restaurants, we regularly pay $8.00 for a glass of 'house' wine. Kendall Jackson is usually a dollar or two more. In the last 20 years, how much have cruise prices increased? In reality, not all that much. Drinks have never been included on the three cruise lines I've been on, Carnival, Princess and RCCL. On our May 9th Adventure sailing, our bar bill at the end of the week was around $400. Now, that was a port intensive itinerary, but we had 3 bottles of wine during dinner. The other nights we just ordered glasses. We had a drink or two during the day before dinner and always one or two after dinner during shows or at the lounges.

It seems that no matter what RCCL does......there are complaints. For those of you who are the elite status travelers (and that seems to be so many of you), you're already getting free drinks, right? Don't you get 3 per day? The C & A pre loaded coupons gives you discounts......so, would you rather pay a higher price for the cruise and have drinks included? If that's the case, you know, there are cruise lines out there that would accommodate you nicely.

It just seems that all of the furor on these boards about "drink prices".......is a bit overblown. Think back to your first cruise and what you paid versus what you pay now. I still think you are getting a tremendous value, even IF you purchase a drink package.

It's just my two or three cents, but I didn't see the outrageous prices that so many claim exist.

Generally speak, everything is overpriced when you have a captive audience. Sporting events, theme parks, yadda, yadda, yadda. Cruise ships really are no different.

I'm not the candidate for the drink package, but, for those who do buy enough drinks on board it can be a decent value.

I have never done a drink package before, but I like mixed drinks. With the recent price increase- it was worth the money to do the premium package for us this time. I did not find that the markup on the wines was anywhere close to as terrible as I thought it would be. Plus, we got a 20% discount on the wines we purchased by the bottle on a couple of occasions. They were fairly reasonable.

I had looked up wine prices for glasses and bottles onboard before we left, and compared them with what I could buy for in a local restaurant OR in a grocery store/spirit store. I just didn't think the markup was all that bad.

I know that I'm in the minority when it comes to complaining about RCCL drink prices, but.....when any of you go to any restaurant, what do you pay for a glass of wine? Around here, in CHAIN restaurants, we regularly pay $8.00 for a glass of 'house' wine. Kendall Jackson is usually a dollar or two more. In the last 20 years, how much have cruise prices increased? In reality, not all that much. Drinks have never been included on the three cruise lines I've been on, Carnival, Princess and RCCL. On our May 9th Adventure sailing, our bar bill at the end of the week was around $400. Now, that was a port intensive itinerary, but we had 3 bottles of wine during dinner. The other nights we just ordered glasses. We had a drink or two during the day before dinner and always one or two after dinner during shows or at the lounges.

It seems that no matter what RCCL does......there are complaints. For those of you who are the elite status travelers (and that seems to be so many of you), you're already getting free drinks, right? Don't you get 3 per day? The C & A pre loaded coupons gives you discounts......so, would you rather pay a higher price for the cruise and have drinks included? If that's the case, you know, there are cruise lines out there that would accommodate you nicely.

It just seems that all of the furor on these boards about "drink prices".......is a bit overblown. Think back to your first cruise and what you paid versus what you pay now. I still think you are getting a tremendous value, even IF you purchase a drink package.

It's just my two or three cents, but I didn't see the outrageous prices that so many claim exist.

I completely agree. Like it or not, cruise lines are businesses. The bottom line COUNTS for sure. For many reasons, they have to pass costs along to their guests.

A decent glass of wine (house wines) in our area are $6.50-$7. Kendall Jackson probably about $8-9 a glass. I am okay up to about $14 a glass for a wine I really like. After that, I am likely to try to find someone to share a bottle with, as that usually ends up costing a little less in the end.

Anyhow I don't think the increase has been quite as horrible as some think.

I have never heard of this wine. Is it a regional thing?

If you are referring to Tilsdale, it is a two buck chuck house wine from California. Not fine wine but perfectly drinkable unless one is a wine snob.