Disappointed

We have the Select fare included in our Sep cruise as a promo. We knew what it included and I plan to upgrade and my OH plans to downgrade if possible as he doesnt drink alcohol. So for me having it included lessens the cost of the Premium package purchase and for my OH all his drinks will be covered.

What I do disagree with is Royal's advertising of this promo as an 'all inclusive' cruise when clearly its far from being 'all inclusive' and for those less informed this is likely to be a cause for complaint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wine & Beer package on Seranade of the Seas served us wine you can buy at Walmart for 2.99 a bottle. Paying 44.00 a day was truely not worth it.

Completely agree. Same on the Adventure. Before I got the package I was getting a very nice wine but then I purchased the package after the first day and was getting some nasty wine. I would actually ask them to NOT give me the cheap Tinsdale and give me the Kindall Jackson or Clos De Bois. They had to keep opening a new bottle but the only time a bartender gave me a hard time was in the ice rink place. He said no but another bartender tapped him and told him to do it. Both wines were included in the package but they want to give you the cheapest one.

Why don't you the name of the wine. I don't think it is the same that you can buy at Walmart for $2.99.

So, give the name of this cheap wine that they charge $44.00 a bottle.

I will follow up and ask the cruise line why they get there wine from Walmart.

Anyone want to guess if the OP gives us the wine name and year.

http://www.calibex.com/Tisdale-Wine-Review/shop-html?nxtg=185d0a500519-85C048250068E4E6

$4.99 a bottle for red $7.19 a bottle for white.

According to some here, they already have. Their ships have big whale tails on them :D:o:rolleyes:

Not nice having tried 3 different lines Carnival has a lot of great things that RC can learn from freindly attentive staff being one I can add quickly dont beat on what you dont know.

I believe it is only the Premium package that allows for the difference between the actual cost and package limit (it was this case when the packages were introduced, but might have changed). Are you certain that you were able to only pay the difference with the Select package?

The Select package has an allowance of $8 per glass of wine, and allows paying the difference for more expensive glasses. However, there is no allowance for beer or cocktails in the Select package.

Wine & Beer package on Seranade of the Seas served us wine you can buy at Walmart for 2.99 a bottle. Paying 44.00 a day was truely not worth it.

When you see a Walmart floating in the ocean then it might matter what Walmart sells wine for. Until then, comparing apples to steak. :rolleyes:

Having just returned from the cruise line to which you are referring, I disagree! Wine under the whale tail was better than what I was offered on the RCI cruise immediately before even with the Premium package. Funny isn't it that the $12 wines are not available, but the less expensive ones are:( Mind you then you had to find a bar where you could get served :eek:

I agree!

Yes, we all know Carnival is a great cruise line and that some are just envious of the cost savings. :D

Tisdale wine you can buy for as low as 3.49 a bottle. We happened to live close to Modesto where the winery is located. Wine is about taste, Tisdale is not my taste so for me its not worth the price.

LOOK AROUD! Let's face it you're not sailing on a Regent ship. ;)

People on the Seabourn forums complain the complimentary wine is in the $10-15 range. So it figures Royal's wine package bottles are in the $5-8 range.

I can't see what the problem is. I can buy a bottle of Lambrusco Rosado for 1.79€ in the supermarket over here but if I go to a restaurant that same wine would be on sale for 10€ a bottle. It is typical for a catering business to make approx 400% profit on alcohol, it doesn't matter whether you are in a restaurant on land or at sea.

You can't seriously expect to pay the same price in the MDR as you would in a cheap supermarket, after all they have to finance it, store it, chill it, serve it and dispose of the bottle.

You think that's bad we were on the Liberty, my wife woke up with a headache and had to pay $12.00 for 24 tablets of Tylenol:eek::eek::eek:

That's why I bring my own "medicine" cabin with me. From laxatives to Immodium AD. I remember one cruise I had to get eye drops and a small bottle (maybe 8 drops) cost me around $10:eek: - that was in 2002. I'd hate to see what they charge now.

I'm still on the fence regarding the drink package. I don't drink that much any more, but I can't see paying $14 for 1 drink. Then again, I can't see paying over $200 for a package and not being reimbursed for what I don't use. Decisions, decisions.

Happy sailing everyone and have a safe Memorial day holiday. For all of you Vets and current enlisted personnel, thank you for your service.

Edited by onyourtoes

No need to come here to tout Carnival. We all know our alternatives and catchy phrases. Water seeks its own level, one man's treasure is another man's trash, to each his own, etc., etc., etc.

And at the same time, no one needs to come here to trash another line either. ;)

If you are a wine drinker, the package is a bust. We purchased the "Premium" package on Jewel. I prefer pinot noir and the choices were an absolute joke. In some bars on the ship, there were no choices except for one brand and that was Two Buck Chuck quality, or possibly slightly below.

Even water is hit or miss, don't expect Evian or Pellegrino - you will get a small (only) bottle of Crystal Geyser or generic "club soda". And in the MDR for breakfast, I didn't think the package would exclude a glass of orange juice for breakfast, but it does and they charge $2.50 for that.

After 3 day, we cancelled the package and obtained a refund. For now, you can at least do that until the "all sales are final" clause is stated in your cruise contract.

If you are a wine drinker, the package is a bust. We purchased the "Premium" package on Jewel. I prefer pinot noir and the choices were an absolute joke. In some bars on the ship, there were no choices except for one brand and that was Two Buck Chuck quality, or possibly slightly below.

Even water is hit or miss, don't expect Evian or Pellegrino - you will get a small (only) bottle of Crystal Geyser or generic "club soda". And in the MDR for breakfast, I didn't think the package would exclude a glass of orange juice for breakfast, but it does and they charge $2.50 for that.

After 3 day, we cancelled the package and obtained a refund. For now, you can at least do that until the "all sales are final" clause is stated in your cruise contract.

:eek: I wish I had known that!!! I would have cancelled mine. That package is definitely NOT worth it.

Edited by BonnieSte

What does this have to do what my question?

Also, how much was the cost of the bottle of wine that you think was a rip off?

What do you think the normal markup is at a nice restaurant on wine? What is the markup at a top of the line restaurant?

I asked the OP what wine they could get at $2.99 at Walmart and the cruise was selling for $44.00. And, like I said they will not respond because it is a lie.

What do you think the normal markup is at a nice restaurant on wine? What is the markup at a top of the line restaurant?

I asked the OP what wine they could get at $2.99 at Walmart and the cruise was selling for $44.00. And, like I said they will not respond because it is a lie.

FWIW, the $44 price was the daily cost of package not the bottle price

There might have been a little exaggeration but I did see Tisdales in the $3.99-$4.19 price range and that is one of their current 'house wines'. I would assume that RC, buying in bulk, is probably paying less than that.

As another poster noted, the $44 is the drink package price per day.

They will typically mark up their cheapest wines X4 or x5. The more expensive bottles seem to have less of a markup.

op was disappointed to be drinking very cheap wines on his package. Maybe he was not expecting the wines to be so bad. Maybe his post will make others aware.

Why don't you the name of the wine. I don't think it is the same that you can buy at Walmart for $2.99.

So, give the name of this cheap wine that they charge $44.00 a bottle.

I will follow up and ask the cruise line why they get there wine from Walmart.

Anyone want to guess if the OP gives us the wine name and year.

Here's a list of the reds available on the Select Package:

724 Peter Lehman, South Australia, Shiraz

133 Blackstone, California, Syrah

536 Castle Rock, California, Pinot Noir

709 Estancia, California, Pinot Noir

275 Reserve St Martin, France, Merlot

668 Clos du Bois, California, Merlot

503 Terras de los Andes, Argentina, Malbec

675 Trumpeter by Rutini, Argenitina, Malbec

636 Clos du Bois, California, Cabernet Sauvignon

671 Castle Rock, Cloumbia Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon

687 Aussieres Rouge, France, Cabernet Sauvignon

405 Kendall Jackson, California, Cabernet Sauvignon

I had the Premium package on Oasis and drank Estancia Pinot Noir nightly. I consider that well above a "two buck chuck". It typically goes for about $15/bottle in the grocery stores here in ATL and $45/bottle in restaurants.