"New"orwegian Epic ?s

delluser

We are a family of four (mom, dad, 2 teen girls) experienced cruisers all on Carnival. Considering the Epic to Western Med. Found great pricing deal for the time we want to go...caveat, we'd all be in same stateroom. We've never shared a stateroom before, but the only way we can afford this cruise is to share a room. Epic room layout looks terrible to me. Any suggestions as to best/better cabins in either inside or regular balcony category that are better/roomier than others? I'm pretty skilled at finding special cabins on Carnival ships, but haven't had such luck with NCL. Also, does the spa/gym area have nice roomy showers? We've found that to be helpful on Carnival when more than one of us needs to get ready at same time.

Thanks to all and happy cruising!

Coming from & transitioning from Carnival brand products to NCL, you are choosing - IMHO - the least popular ship from among the megaships in the fleet, with the see-thru/transparent shower/bath design (be sure to checkout those Youtube videos first, before making a deposit & final payment)

How's your budget as you will need to spend more for the extra space, generally speaking. One family's definition of a bargain cruise is another family's untouchable prices - and, I supposed you might be looking at some of the promotional perks (some of us do consider it to be misleading, YMMV)

Compared to CCL, yes, you are absolutely correct that the Epic's staterooms are small, smaller by about 1/3 or more - the design & layout is for efficiency, storage isn't the problem. Can you do 2 insides or OV and inside, if those rates are cheap enough for your sailing dates ??

Family of four inside we can do for $1400 (includes taxes) and we get some OBC. No OV available. 2 Insides would run $2500 (includes taxes). Four in a balcony is $2100. Gravitating to balcony for use of outdoor space. Bathroom thing is kind of big deal, but if we can get staterooms within a deck or so of spa, then we could pretty much solve that issue. Any thoughts on spa shower/restroom facilities?

Family of four inside we can do for $1400 (includes taxes) and we get some OBC. No OV available. 2 Insides would run $2500 (includes taxes). Four in a balcony is $2100. Gravitating to balcony for use of outdoor space. Bathroom thing is kind of big deal, but if we can get staterooms within a deck or so of spa, then we could pretty much solve that issue. Any thoughts on spa shower/restroom facilities?

Pulse Fitness Center on Deck 14 has lockers and showers specifically for the use of folks wanting to use the gym. These facilities are completely separate from the thermal suite and its facilities. I would think this might be a viable option for you. Also, re the shower situation in the cabin, there is a curtain in most cabins that gives you more privacy and flexibility.

As the itinerary is so port intensive, I would say go for the bargain and just realize at the outset that the cabin is a place to sleep and nothing more.

Thank, CruiserBruiser. That's what I was hoping for. Gym showers that we can expand to. I agree, port intensive so the ship is really just our "housing" for a busy week. Cabin will just be a place to keep our things and to sleep.

Try to get an aft even numbered balcony as the bed will be near the window - makes it feel more spacious AND you will have a larger balcony.

or try to get

There are also larger balconies on the side of the ship:

IF anyone in your family can be legitimately counted as Handicapped, the Handicapped balcony cabins are legions larger than a normal balcony.

Google "Picking the Best Cabins on Norwegian Epic" - there is an article on the internet that will tell you exactly which cabins are best on this ship. I would put the link, but CC stars it out.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

If money is tight I would go for the inside cabin. You have two pull down beds and two lower beds. There is not going to be a lot of room in the cabin to lounge around, however there are lot of public venues all over the ship.

Fitness centre is on deck 14 and there are a couple of family insides on the same deck.

Most days your in port and most evenings you should probably be enjoying the ship.

You may want to also price out having one person in a studio.

Edited by em-sk

I looked at the deck plans, and inside room 12183 looks bigger than other non-disabled insides, but is not designated as a disabled room.

Also, if space is an issue that will cause you concern, and you can stretch your budget to pay for two inside rooms, I think that's a more attractive option than one balcony room.

Pricing a Studio nearby is also an interesting option. That is, if you decide to lean toward two inside cabins, it might come out cheaper for one person in a Studio and the other three in a family inside, as opposed to two standard insides with two people in each.

Edited by jlajr

Like you, we are cruising the Med Spring 2016 with our 15 &12 year olds in a large balcony. We chose 12072 for its massive balcony as this is like having an extra room during the daytime especially. We have done this before with an aft bacony cabin and found that we used the balcony a lot. From what I can see all the large balcony staterooms that accommodate 4 have the bed positioned nearer to the door and not the balcony. Having the bed nearer the balcony is preferable but I think not available for a 4 bed room. I looked at the deck plans for hours before booking and had a list of my favourites (all large balconys) ready when I rang up and booked.

Some for you to look at are 11076 11073 12072 12069 13041 13067 13056 14069 14088

Thank you for giving me the idea of using the fitness centre for extra shower facilities.