Advice for Southbound Seward to Vancouver on Celebrity Millennium ?

lreinstein

Hello,

My wife and I are planning our second cruise for May 2016 on Celebrity Millennium and would appreciate any tips and advice from those who have done this. (our first cruise was the Adriatic on the Celebrity Silhouette). I also have a few general questions.

- I am thinking of a Concierge class cabin. Is it worth the extra $$ over a Veranda room?

- I was thinking of deck 7 or 8 and somewhat midship. Is this a good choice?

- I was leaning toward port side for this Southward journey, but read on these boards that it does not make a big difference. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

- Am I better off going through the Celebrity website of an independent agent or online agent to get the best deals? The Celebrity website has a "pick your perk" Special which seems pretty good but I have to book prior to May 31. Seems to be only a few rooms of each class ... and they don't seem like particularly good ones. Any advice for us would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry and Anne

All of these are best researched on the Celebrity board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

On the Port vs Starboard issue, a little reading down the board would reveal this is a common question. Answer: It doesn't matter. Scenery is 360 degrees and "big picture". You don't need to be in one magic spot to see the important stuff, and besides you aren't locked in your cabin- you will be watching the scenery from all over the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

All of these are best researched on the Celebrity board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

On the Port vs Starboard issue, a little reading down the board would reveal this is a common question. Answer: It doesn't matter. Scenery is 360 degrees and "big picture". You don't need to be in one magic spot to see the important stuff, and besides you aren't locked in your cabin- you will be watching the scenery from all over the ship.

Thanks, Though of course I have read through many posts on the port/starboard issue and I do not necessarily buy the "it does not matter" opinion. Although I agree that we will be watching the major scenery up top on deck, ... there is still some pleasure to be had having breakfast on the veranda and seeing interesting scenery pass by rather than open water.

Thanks, Though of course I have read through many posts on the port/starboard issue and I do not necessarily buy the "it does not matter" opinion. Although I agree that we will be watching the major scenery up top on deck, ... there is still some pleasure to be had having breakfast on the veranda and seeing interesting scenery pass by rather than open water.

The problem with your theory is that if you are "Inside Passage", most of the time, land will be on both sides, as it will be when you approach ports, and sail in the glaciers areas. It will actually be fairly rare you have land on one side, but not the other.

Hello,

My wife and I are planning our second cruise for May 2016 on Celebrity Millennium and would appreciate any tips and advice from those who have done this. (our first cruise was the Adriatic on the Celebrity Silhouette). I also have a few general questions.

- I am thinking of a Concierge class cabin. Is it worth the extra $$ over a Veranda room?

- I was thinking of deck 7 or 8 and somewhat midship. Is this a good choice?

- I was leaning toward port side for this Southward journey, but read on these boards that it does not make a big difference. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

- Am I better off going through the Celebrity website of an independent agent or online agent to get the best deals? The Celebrity website has a "pick your perk" Special which seems pretty good but I have to book prior to May 31. Seems to be only a few rooms of each class ... and they don't seem like particularly good ones. Any advice for us would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry and Anne

We will be on deck 6 in a concierge cabin in a few weeks. I would be glad to answer your questions when I return. But, that won't work with you may 31 deadline.

Personally I don't think the Concierge class cabins are of any significant value on less they are on sale for under $100 pp. You deck and location choice is good. There is not a huge difference on which side of the ship you are on but arguably the port side is slightly better. Celebrity does not permit discounting but a good TA should be able to provide some additional perks. We always use a TA not only for that reason but in the event there is a problem, and it does happen with all cruise lines, your TA speaks the language, he/she is on your side and will cut thru the corporate baffle gaff.