Room service charge

cruisin0504

I'm wondering if part of the reasoning for the new charge is to eliminate having staff running back and forth for frivolous things.

If that is the so-called reasoning, if we ever do book another cruise with NCL, then just to spite them for the $7.95 fee, we just might start ordering the no-fee breakfast each and every day. No matter whether if we want it or not...just as a sign of protest.

Edited by cacj

If that is the so-called reasoning, if we ever do book another cruise with NCL, then just to spite them for the $7.95 fee, we just might start ordering the no-fee breakfast each and every day. No matter whether if we want it or not...just as a sign of protest.

How exactly does that hurt NCL when they're expecting alot of people to order the free breakfast and big clean up anyway?

I agree. I think an across the board fare increase in the rage of $200 per week per person in all cabin categories would take care of the issue, and then you could have free room service.

$400 extra to get free room service? We would have to order room service 50 times to justify that, and we would still not come out even. :eek:

$400 extra to get free room service? We would have to order room service 50 times to justify that, and we would still not come out even. :eek:

It used to be free anytime. I don't see how the service part of it is a cost to NCL. We are paying DSC. I think this is all an attempt to cut back on food consumption and waste. But I am still considering cancelling my 2016 cruise and going back to RCCL. I hate to encourage the $7.95 room service charge. I guarantee the lines will keep it and it will spread to other lines if kept, just like airline bag fees.

How exactly does that hurt NCL when they're expecting alot of people to order the free breakfast and big clean up anyway?

Your question is very valid. We don't want to inflict hurt on them...that is not meant here. The fact is the free breakfast has nothing in it that was once offered, such as the fruit and yogurt, cereal. They have deliberately watered the offering down to essentially junk foods of no nutritional help. That is meant to force people who prefer something more nutritious and who want room service for breakfast to order and pay the fee. We continue to object to this money grab. The post to which I was responding was about the idea that they are trying to reduce frivolous orders.

If we were to order the junk they offer, that would be a frivolous order to us. We don't think pastry is a good start to the day.

And yeah, someone here will tell us that we should go to the MDR or buffet if we want a nutritional start, and most mornings we do.

However!!!! for all the reasons we and others have repeatedly stated, sometimes you just want or need to stay in the cabin a little longer and would enjoy the option. I don't like being forced into a fee or being unable to order something like yogurt. I do not see that anywhere on the new menu.

It is also frustrating to see the opinions that room service fees are a way for the line to defray the cost of giveaways like the UDP and UBP.

We don't drink in mass quantities, and the specialty restaurants have no appeal to us every night.

Yet, it seems okay by some that room service fees should now become the subsidy for these giveaways.

Bottom line for us is that we won't be booking any NCL cruise until this all shakes out. The many changes thrown at passengers, the ill conceived ideas, the changes to Cagney's that we have read about (even though we are not Cagney's fans, we get how others love the place)...all this has left us on the sideline, with no booking, and none planned for the immediate future. And we usually have 2 cruises booked each year.

We wait and see, and we hope things improve but we are skeptical if the recent news is indicative of this new CEO and his lead.

No, there is no bread. Danish, muffins....but no bread of any kind.

Harriet

In many venues that is exactly what a continental breakfast is, coffee and Danish. That is all that some motels offer as a "continental" breakfast. Called Continental since just pastry and coffee is from European continent.

But I'd gotten spoiled by NCL also offering a fruit plate and/or yogurt.

When we cruised on the Sun in 2010 we were able to add an omelet from the 24 hour menu.

But that option was gone on our 2013 cruise on the Star.

Now the fruit plate will also be gone for the cruise we are in the process of booking for next year.

Edited by NMLady

In many venues that is exactly what a continental breakfast is, coffee and Danish. That is all that some motels offer as a "continental" breakfast. Called Continental since just pastry and coffee is from European continent.

But I'd gotten spoiled by NCL also offering a fruit plate and/or yogurt.

When we cruised on the Sun in 2010 we were able to add an omelet from the 24 hour menu.

But that option was gone on our 2013 cruise on the Star.

Now the fruit plate will also be gone for the cruise we are in the process of booking for next year.

Every hotel I've stayed in....in the US with Continental Breakfast always had bread and bagels (with a machine that could toast it) There was also always cereal and milk along with danish, coffee/tea/juice. Some, but not all, had yogurt and all had apples, oranges, and bananas.

Harriet