Room service charge

cruisin0504

Now that the food in cabin issue has been resolved we are hoping that the next order of business is the room service charge.

One of the "perks" of cruising vs a hotel vacation is the inclusive concept. Many of us love the luxury of a delivery of morning coffee to our cabin, or that afternoon iced tea with snacks to enjoy.

For us - enjoying these things on our balcony is what we dream about on our non-cruising days. Why would NCL choose to nickle and dime away our room service?

If anyone has an idea before our Nov cruise on the Breakaway please share it! $7.95/delivery makes for a very expensive pitcher of iced tea!

Well they have to make money somewhere since they're giving away alcohol and dinners and having people sail free... :/ just not sure that was the right place to try to get a few extra bucks from us.

Now that the food in cabin issue has been resolved we are hoping that the next order of business is the room service charge.

One of the "perks" of cruising vs a hotel vacation is the inclusive concept. Many of us love the luxury of a delivery of morning coffee to our cabin, or that afternoon iced tea with snacks to enjoy.

For us - enjoying these things on our balcony is what we dream about on our non-cruising days. Why would NCL choose to nickle and dime away our room service?

If anyone has an idea before our Nov cruise on the Breakaway please share it! $7.95/delivery makes for a very expensive pitcher of iced tea!

You can still get a carafe of coffee delivered with no charge up until the 10:00 am cutoff. I don't know that a "pitcher" of tea was ever possible through RS, but you could get several glasses. Sounds like someone will have to make a run to the buffet for the tea and snacks. There may be pitchers available in the buffet. I know on the Sun you could get pitchers of Sangria from one of the bars to take back to the cabin or out on deck. Or, just keep needling NCL about the fee.

You may be able to side step the RS fee by ordering at least one extra fee item with the order, like a beer. The * portion of the menu seems to indicate that the delivery fee is waived if a fee item like bar drinks or platters are included on the order. I don't think it has been confirmed yet by cruisers, but that should happen soon.

Edited by punkincc

As far as I know, the morning room service menu (limited as it is) remains the same and free. Only a more complete meal ordered would incur the charge. So morning coffee on the balcony with pastries for us, no change. I wouldn't be using the additional offerings anyhow.

I take a large (really big) plastic cup with a lid. Fill it with ice and then fill it with the free ice tea that is onboard. Take it back to my cabin and put it in the fridge. I pack two of the cups w/lids -- usually leave one in the cabin, take the other one to the pool. Just make sure you fill your cup by using a clean, provided glass for the pouring. Takes a few minutes, but that is what the cruise line recommends.

No service charge -- no cost to the tea -- what?! A Freebie??

I've never seen snacks on an NCL room service menu.

Unfortunately the first person that paid this fee legitimized it to the company.

Realistically we can lobby for a Continental breakfast menu that has fruit yogurt and cereal like it used to.

Clawback is the name if the game

Ummm, the Continental breakfast items are still free and have no delivery charge. Just saying. You may want to know what the new room service fees are before posting, just saying.

You can always ask your room steward or someone from the buffet for a pitcher. There is always ice in the room or buffet. If you don't like the iced tea they have in the buffet you can make your own in your cabin with tea bags and hot water from the coffee machine.

Ice tea from buffet into a pitcher of ice - kept in refrigerator

Hot tea from cabin into a pitcher of ice - kept in refrigerator.

Harriet

Ummm, the Continental breakfast items are still free and have no delivery charge. Just saying. You may want to know what the new room service fees are before posting, just saying.

I think what the poster was trying to say was that yogurt and cereal are no longer on the Contenental RS menu at all. I know there are a couple items missing that are no longer available.

don't count on that happening anytime soon, if ever. They have nothing to lose by keeping the charge in place and everything to gain. For those who find it necessary to order room serive, the ships makes a few bucks. For those who choose not to use room service anymore the cruise line frees up thsoe who have to do the delivery. It is a win/win for the cruise line. You can still have the delivery of coffee to your cabin for no charge. The afternoon tea, that I don't know about.

I think what the poster was trying to say was that yogurt and cereal are no longer on the Contenental RS menu at all. I know there are a couple items missing that are no longer available.

True, including toast and fruit. They are no longer on the Continental RS menu either.

Harriet

Unfortunately the first person that paid this fee legitimized it to the company.

Realistically we can lobby for a Continental breakfast menu that has fruit yogurt and cereal like it used to.

If you want to eat breakfast in your stateroom the fruit, yogurt and cereal are available in the buffet and can be taken out :) I think there are also small cartons of milk near the boxed cereal. Stop in at the buffet during breakfast hours, pick them up and take them back to your stateroom so they'll be ready for the next morning.

We wake up early but don't necessarily want to eat as soon as we get up. On our last couple cruises we enjoyed "prebreakfast" in the stateroom with coffee, juice and a chocolate croissant or bran muffin delivered by room service. Whenever we were ready we'd make our way to the breakfast dining venue of choice for that day and have breakfast.

snack

snak/

noun

plural noun:*snacks

a small amount of food eaten between meals.

NSS

I've just seen sandwiches and meal type items, hence my comment. I guess some people consider those snacks. I typically have a sandwich as a meal. To each his own.

Yes!

That's what is irksome-that the breakfast service has eliminated most of the selections and just limited it to coffee and pastry.

I know some will say we did it before we can do it again, but.....

It is no real skin off of NCL's back to backtrack on the self room service, there is no money that changes hands (when viewed only by itself). To try to get them to take away a fee is another story. Once a company gets it's hands on cash they are usually loathe to give it back.

Good luck to those who may try to get the service removed, I think the absolute best outcome would be they dropped it down to the 4.95 price point.

It was wise of them to remove the restriction as it was unenforceable without a lot of preconditioning of passengers and competitive demands.

JMHO

That's what is irksome-that the breakfast service has eliminated most of the selections and just limited it to coffee and pastry.

But now you can get not breakfast items (for a fee). I actually think the new room service menu links so much better than the old, and is worth the service charge.

The room service fee is confusing as it stands right now. Some say add a small fee item and the $7.95 is not charged....others say not so.

Why can't NCL eliminate the "convenience fee" and improve the menu by expanding (rather than eliminating) the menu with some items that are fee based (like shrimp) and keep the popular complimentary items (like chicken soup, yogurt or bran muffins).

This way, folks can either stick with the limited free menu, or knowingly and willingly pay for the food that is fee based.

Come to think of it....that was something already done on the room service menu if we remember correctly.

I know some will say we did it before we can do it again, but.....

It is no real skin off of NCL's back to backtrack on the self room service, there is no money that changes hands (when viewed only by itself). To try to get them to take away a fee is another story. Once a company gets it's hands on cash they are usually loathe to give it back.

Good luck to those who may try to get the service removed, I think the absolute best outcome would be they dropped it down to the 4.95 price point.

It was wise of them to remove the restriction as it was unenforceable without a lot of preconditioning of passengers and competitive demands.

JMHO

drop it to $4.95 would be great. As you say, if anyone thinks they can protest and get it removed altogether, very unlikely and it may even backfire.

drop it to $4.95 would be great. As you say, if anyone thinks they can protest and get it removed altogether, very unlikely and it may even backfire.

Curious, how backfire?

Me thinks you are not going to enjoy ice tea on the balcony in November:) And if you do, why not do as others suggest, get your goodies at the buffet.

I'm wondering if part of the reasoning for the new charge is to eliminate having staff running back and forth for frivolous things. We've become a society of wanting to be waited on. If I want a snack, I'd rather be able to pick out my items myself rather than get a plate of what someone else has picked for me.

.... If I want a snack, I'd rather be able to pick out my items myself rather than get a plate of what someone else has picked for me.

Many folks do just that, and that is why it was a good thing that NCL reversed the ban.

However, it is a cruise. And the idea of "being waited on" is one of the touts of taking a cruise. Sit back, relax, let us serve you. That is part of the experience.

Aside from that, some folks NEED room service because of other issues...not just to be served. Sometimes, things happen, and RS is a way to have some food when it is not possible or safe for the persons to go to the restaurant themselves. There is no need to repeat the reasons, they have been stated over and over and over.

When did it become a "societal ill" to take a cruise and expect the cruise to offer service?