Booking Carnival Legend to Alaska 2016

squick64

I'm very close to booking the 8-Day Glacier Bay cruise on Carnival Legend in May 2016. I'm planning to book a balcony cabin, even though I'll already be paying double for going alone (erp). I'm curious which cabin I should aim for.

I gather aft balconies are supposed to be less windy, but I think I'd rather see things from the side rather than from behind. Which should I go with? And is an obstructed view really that obstructed?

I checked, and a number of rooms have already been booked.

Thanks!

I'm very close to booking the 8-Day Glacier Bay cruise on Carnival Legend in May 2016. I'm planning to book a balcony cabin, even though I'll already be paying double for going alone (erp). I'm curious which cabin I should aim for.

I gather aft balconies are supposed to be less windy, but I think I'd rather see things from the side rather than from behind. Which should I go with? And is an obstructed view really that obstructed?

I checked, and a number of rooms have already been booked.

Thanks!

Hi there...following your post....I was thinking the same thing...I'm looking at booking the same 8 day cruise in May 2016 (also going solo), and was wondering which side of the ship to go for to get the best views (I'll be booking an outside window cabin...balconies make me dizzy). :)

We have already booked the Legend from Vancouver next May 2016. The best reviews I have seen say to book Empress in the back side of the ship. The reasoning is you are right behind the suites and they usually have the best cabin personnel assigned to that area. You are also 3 decks below the Lido deck and also a few decks above the restaurant. You have cabins directly above and below you also. My other advise is to book sooner than later because they will sell out. Also is you are planning to arrive a day or two earlier, motel rooms are going fast About half of the motels are booked.

I have been on 5 Alaska cruises. I have never had a balcony cabin, just OV 4 times and one inside. However, based on my experience on Alaska cruises, if I were to book a balcony cabin, it would definitely be an aft-facing cabin if it were available. When you're sailing in Alaska you never know on which side there will be whales, dolphins, etc. They make announcements from the bridge and then everyone runs to try to see them. If you're on your aft balcony you'll have a better chance of seeing them. When you're visiting the glaciers, there is gorgeous scenery on both sides, and from your aft balcony you won't miss anything. That's my take on it.

Edited by nwcruiselover

We were just on that very cruise (the 8 day Alaska repositioning cruise) and had cabin 6116 and really loved it. I will be honest, though--we didn't really spend all that much time on the balcony while sailing. When we were in Glacier Bay we were up on deck. Tracy Arm Fjord we booked the small boat excursion (which was positively worth it). We like the front of the ship, and deck 6 is great for convenience, especially if, like us, you are inclined to take the stairs everywhere. The balconies are also less expensive in the front. I did enjoy having that balcony when we were in port because, being on the port side, we had great views of things when we were docked.

I have posted a longer review--search for "Inaugural Alaska Legend cruise" or something like that--and you can read all about it.

Good luck--book it--and have fun!

Will be on this cruise next year too, and booked Empress based on recommendations. We booked starboard side, but not for any particular reason. I believe both sides have as much of a view as each other (and in the Bay etc the Captain turns the ship around so both sides get a chance to see the same things). Looking forward to it!

• 4 weeks later...

There are some significant details, that may be of interest.

IF you are planning to ONLY stay in your cabin during your Glacier Bay, you need a port side cabin for the commentary to match up with what you are seeing. That "ship turns" thinking is also faulty, in my opinion. You NEVER know when calving will happen- which most first timers want to see. So you never want to settle for 50% of the views. Again, my opinion. the superb viewing is on the open wrap deck 3, and the ability to move side to side.

Most often- the "announcement" for wildlife is pretty useless. IF a priority- as it is for me- you need to be already out.

As for Tracy Arm- sorry- I have NEVER known Carnival to get up to the South Sawyer Glacier. You are lucky to get past Sawyer Island- which this year's cruise did, but barely. In my opinion- the add on ship tour is "necessary", which is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. Plenty of people turn their noses up at this tour- their loss. :)

As for time of entry- it varies. This year's sailing was hours later.

Not sure where to ask this. How long is Carnival Legend in Tracy arm fjord? What time does it arrive in Tracy's arm. Wondered if you made it through to see the glacier at the end.

Thanks

You are asking questions that are flexible and no answer. Yes you will likely "see" the South Sawyer Glacier- but only a partial view, and way off in the distance, from the cruise ship.

The add on tour- gets MUCH closer, and sometimes will view the North Sawyer Glacier.

One other question. We are going to stay on board going through tracy's arm. Any recommendations of good public areas on Legend for viewing would be appreciated.

Thanks

The best public viewing is actually the standing on deck 3- AND going side to side, during the transit.

Plenty of people were camped out on the buffet deck 9. Problem was the limit of one side view, IF you want to remain seated at a table, then got bored and left on the return, leaving the fjords, since it was "dinner" time. :)

They then missed the 5 bears that were seen. :) I was pointing them out to the few people, still out, offered my binoculars etc- THEN as we were passing- the naturalist "announces" it, when we were already passing them. :) Those people who ran up, left after minutes- had "better" things to do apparently. About 10 minutes later, the second bear sightings. Again- VERY few people saw them.

Edited by Budget Queen

All very helpful information. We are also booked on the May 16 trip and have chosen to be forward on the Panorama deck, Port side. While we always book balcony cabins, we find that we don't spend much time in the cabin after all. Still it's nice to have when you want to slip out there. We are really looking forward to this one.

I hate to dissuade anyone from booking Carnival on the Carnival board ... But for Alaska it is good to check the other cruise lines like HAL and Princess who often have much better itineraries! Plus the price difference not not be as much as you think (especially last minute) since the other lines have way more space to fill.

We loved our Holland America Alaskan cruise a few years ago!

We returned from our trip on the Legend on June 16th. This was our first Alaska cruise so I do not have nearly the knowledge or experience of Budget Queen but here are our opinions

We really enjoyed the aft balcony and used it throughout the trip. Our cabin 6262, was very quiet with very little wind. And I enjoyed seeing both sides without ever having the feeling that we were seeing it from arrears. The scenery is so beautiful that is the last thought in your mind

We took the small boat excursion in Tracy Aem and would book it again in a heartbeat. Let me encourage you to strongly consider booking that on your trip.

Not to disagree with Budget Queen but I was surprised just far into the fiord and how close to Sawyer the big ship got. Granted it was not as close as the small bit but was much closer than i would have imagined.

I am off work on Friday and am hoping to post a review with LOTS of pictures and you will be able to see the views from the big and small boats.

I am off work on Friday and am hoping to post a review with LOTS of pictures and you will be able to see the views from the big and small boats.

Nice. I for one will look forward to your pics and review. Gathering as much info as I can prior to May 16.

Has a roll call been created yet for this particular cruise to Alaska, departing Vancouver May 16, 2016? Not sure how to do it. Just curious.... :)

I think Mike1954 has already created a roll call for this cruise in the forums? Also, there is a Facebook roll call created for this as well. You can search for "North To Alaska! Carnival Legend" and you should be able to find it.

Looking forward to the tour even though it's 11 months away!

We really enjoyed the aft balcony and used it throughout the trip. Our cabin 6262, was very quiet with very little wind. And I enjoyed seeing both sides without ever having the feeling that we were seeing it from arrears. The scenery is so beautiful that is the last thought in your minds

I have a deck 5 Aft balcony booked on the Legend for June 7 next year. I'm looking forward to seeing your review and especially any cabin pics. It is our first Aft.