booked 6/28 summit at the last minute: give me all your tips and secrets!

dorito6778

we're traveling on the Jun 28 sailing with our nearly 7yo daughter (a seasoned cruiser). we are "elite" thanks to our RCL Diamond status, so i'd love to hear what your "elite" tips are as well!

our 3 day bermuda plan is:

day 1: ferry across to hamilton, bus to The Aquarium

day 2: Horseshoe Bay

day 3: snorkel park

aside from bermuda itself, tell me about the ship! secret menus, great quiet corners to read, Joe at this bar makes a mean mojito...those sort of things!! we are looking to relax as much as possible since its been a very stressful 2015 to date, hence the last minute "get us out of here" vacation! lol

When you board, don't head to the buffet....go to Bistro on 5 for lunch (spring for the $30..it's worth avoiding the mob scene in the buffet).

If you are in a concierge or higher room, you should be able to exchange the sparkling wine for something else...talk to your sommelier the first night.

Try the aqua spa cafe for lunch...anyone can eat there ...not just aqua passengers and if you avoid the pricy yougurt, it's free. Also the hamburgers are excellent at the grill by the pool. Ask for one directly off the grill rather than one that's been sitting in fat and reheated.

There is a vegetarian menu in the MDR and BLU if you need it...ask for it.

Avoid Park West Art Auctions (that's my opinion..I'm sure there must be at least one person somewhere that would disagree with me).

If you want to try a specialty restaurant, wait for the deals on-board...the special discounts (when they aren't sold out which is most of the time). You can also make them an offer....If we can bring our daughter for free, we'd love to try QSine (I bet they take you up on this one)...it's likely you can get 20-50% off at some point during the cruise. QSine is fun with good food (recommended for your family)...the United States is more for a romantic longer dinner, but excellent food.

Have a great time.

Edited by ghstudio

You need to go to Crystal Caves. You can take the bus and then go have lunch across the street at the Swizzle Inn. I would do that Day 1 or Day 2. Stay close to the ship on Day 3 as traffic back to the Dockyard can be brutal and often you cannot get a bus back. The #1 bus will get you to the Caves.

Go see bartender Dawa at the Sunset Bar, he's a riot.

Also if you go to the Elite Happy Hour tell Corrina and Daniella we said Hi.

As for lunch upon embarkation day the Main Dining Room has been open from 12 Noon - 1:30 PM so you can go there. We had a lovely lunch there when we boarded on May 24th.

Have fun.

Edited by CruisingChick

No need to spend $30 for lunch at Bistro on 5 on embarkation day if you want to avoid the buffet.

The MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. (We were on the May 17th sailing.) You can have a lovely sit-down lunch and relax while the rooms are being readied.

During the cruise, if you decide to go to the Oceanview buffet, you need to know that the buffet continues on past the main section. If you continue walking around the entire buffet, you will find other separate stations (eggs benedict for breakfast) (pizza, pasta for lunch/dinner), and other things.

Don't miss the evening game shows - they were hysterical, thanks to Justin and Mark - the activities staff. We enjoyed all the games - especially all the trivia.

And don't miss ReVoiced - the acappella group show. We thought they were AMAZING!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!

When you board, don't head to the buffet....go to Bistro on 5 for lunch (spring for the $30..it's worth avoiding the mob scene in the buffet).

If you are in a concierge or higher room, you should be able to exchange the sparkling wine for something else...talk to your sommelier the first night.

Try the aqua spa cafe for lunch...anyone can eat there ...not just aqua passengers and if you avoid the pricy yougurt, it's free. Also the hamburgers are excellent at the grill by the pool. Ask for one directly off the grill rather than one that's been sitting in fat and reheated.

There is a vegetarian menu in the MDR and BLU if you need it...ask for it.

Avoid Park West Art Auctions (that's my opinion..I'm sure there must be at least one person somewhere that would disagree with me).

If you want to try a specialty restaurant, wait for the deals on-board...the special discounts (when they aren't sold out which is most of the time). You can also make them an offer....If we can bring our daughter for free, we'd love to try QSine (I bet they take you up on this one)...it's likely you can get 20-50% off at some point during the cruise. QSine is fun with good food (recommended for your family)...the United States is more for a romantic longer dinner, but excellent food.

Have a great time.

What's the United States? Is that a specialty restaurant? We were on the Summit last month and didn't hear anything about it? We only know of Normandie, Qsine, and Bistro on 5.

What's the United States? Is that a specialty restaurant? We were on the Summit last month and didn't hear anything about it? We only know of Normandie, Qsine, and Bistro on 5.

The SS United States is on Infinity. Normandie is on Summit.

No need to spend $30 for lunch at Bistro on 5 on embarkation day if you want to avoid the buffet.

The MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. (We were on the May 17th sailing.) You can have a lovely sit-down lunch and relax while the rooms are being readied.

During the cruise, if you decide to go to the Oceanview buffet, you need to know that the buffet continues on past the main section. If you continue walking around the entire buffet, you will find other separate stations (eggs benedict for breakfast) (pizza, pasta for lunch/dinner), and other things.

Don't miss the evening game shows - they were hysterical, thanks to Justin and Mark - the activities staff. We enjoyed all the games - especially all the trivia.

And don't miss ReVoiced - the acappella group show. We thought they were AMAZING!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!

I thought all acappella groups were dropped from cruises. Are they back?

I can't speak to the specific cruise the OP is on, but we've been on the infinity three times in the past two years and the MDR has never been open for lunch on embarkation day.

I thought all acappella groups were dropped from cruises. Are they back?

I can't speak to the specific cruise the OP is on, but we've been on the infinity three times in the past two years and the MDR has never been open for lunch on embarkation day.

This Acapella group is a Main Theater show one night of the cruise in place of last year's 54 Below or Tenors of Rock.

I have to disagree with the previous poster. They were okay, not amazing. Andrea McArdle, Shoshona Bean and Ken Page were amazing.

As for the MDR being open on embarkation day. I was just on Summit last week and we spoke to the restaurant manager David while eating there. They just started it a month ago and it's been well received.

Edited by CruisingChick

So glad you have managed to book a cruise.

You will receive a sheet of Elite coupons each. The most useful are for Internet minutes and laundry. There is also an evening cocktail couple of hours.

Your daughter would definately enjoy the novelty of dining in QSine but if you fancy a romantic dinner for two head for Normandy. As the last post said look for offers, there are speciality stands in several locations and don't be shy asking what they can offer you in terms of discount.

We find Celebrity much quieter generally than RCCL and the Millie class ships quieter than the Solstice. You should really be able to relax and unwind.

Have a wonderful trip.

You are so so right! park west are a bunch of crooks; many many years ago when I was naive I bought a picture. When I got home they called me to say they lost it? I said cancel it and I ended up getting it for half the price at another auction house locally with no fees.

then they called me up and tried to talk me into buying another one because they found it in the inventory. I said no of course-- this is the best part. They billed me and did not want to issue me a credit for months so I acrrued finance charges and they were reluctant to take them off. They wanted me to pay finance charges on a painting I never got because they billed me. I told them after months of fighting I am going to sue you in court. Eventually they took it off but it was a huge hassle. I would not buy from them for FREE.

This Acapella group is a Main Theater show one night of the cruise in place of last year's 54 Below or Tenors of Rock.

I have to disagree with the previous poster. They were okay, not amazing. Andrea McArdle, Shoshona Bean and Ken Page were amazing.

It is all subjective, but most acappella groups are just singing words. This group was able to actually make sounds of instruments with their voices.

It was pretty amazing.

I saw Andrea McArdle on Broadway many years ago. She was very good. I would never use the word amazing to describe her.

It's all subjective, but I highly recommend that they see the acappelle show and decide for themselves.

It is all subjective, but most acappella groups are just singing words. This group was able to actually make sounds of instruments with their voices.

It was pretty amazing.

I saw Andrea McArdle on Broadway many years ago. She was very good. I would never use the word amazing to describe her.

It's all subjective, but I highly recommend that they see the acappelle show and decide for themselves.

Don't get me wrong the group was good and I would go see them again but I can't say they were amazing. We saw Andrea McArdle 2 years ago and she was amazing in the show she did.

As for the MDR being open on embarkation day. I was just on Summit last week and we spoke to the restaurant manager David while eating there. They just started it a month ago and it's been well received.

Yes, and many people are still not going there for lunch because they don't even notice the announcement that it's opened :)

We had a very pleasant lunch there on embarkation day! I highly recommend it!

Entertainment and Food are really subjective. It's almost silly to assume that someone else's view would be your view. Cruises are a chance to try different things...both on menus and in entertainment. I'd say go to every show that looks interesting...and try some new things on the menus or in the buffet. That's part of what makes cruising a great experience.

Entertainment and Food are really subjective. It's almost silly to assume that someone else's view would be your view. Cruises are a chance to try different things...both on menus and in entertainment. I'd say go to every show that looks interesting...and try some new things on the menus or in the buffet. That's part of what makes cruising a great experience.

Agreed!

We went to every evening show.

The only one I really didn't like was the iMagic show. Many people loved that show, including my partner :rolleyes:

Agreed!

We went to every evening show.

The only one I really didn't like was the iMagic show. Many people loved that show, including my partner :rolleyes:

I have to agree. Thought there was way to much talking and not tight enough between tricks/illusions. But as cruise ship shows go, I guess it was fine. Thought the hype they did for the show was overblown.

Also agree about lunch in MDR on Embarkation Day. We also had a lovely time.

We decided to go with the Aqua class this time. Wanted to try something new and eat in BLU... one night of course is the Normandy and I hear its $45 PP but you can get discounts during the cruise?

Normandy is $50 per person now. We got a 20% discount. We asked if they would offer any better discounts during the week, but that was all they offered.

They mainly offer discounts on port days, but we were able to get the discount on the final night - Saturday.

I have to say - the food wasn't as good as we had hoped. We both got the lamb, and were disappointed. Dessert was also a disappointment. We had a MUCH better meal in the French restaurant (Le Bistro) on the NCL Gem last year. It was half the price and it was twice as good.

We had better lamb in the MDR on the Summit.

We bought the 2 day transportation pass in Bermuda, must use 2 days in a row. We took the bus to Horseshoe Bay..the line was long. We were there 10 minutes before it was supposed to be there & we couldn't get on & had to wait for the next one.

If I had to do it again I would use the Horseshoe Bay Shuttle.

The Elite breakfast is nice but it is continental. I would have gone every morning, but DH needs his eggs.

WOW! everytime I see the price on Normandie it increases like the stock market! LOL

I ate 10 years ago on the normandie and I think the price was like.... $20 then I heard its $40 - then $45 and now $50 .. when does it end.. I think eventually you price yourself out of the market because $100 for two becomes costly.

Avoid snorkle park. It's an artificial beach and is not even close to being good enough to warrant a cover charge. This beach will look even worse after your trip to horseshoe bay.

There is a fair amount to explore at the dockyard, the commissioners house is a very interesting museum though I understand the house itself is being renovated right now. I also had some ethical issues with the dolphin exhibit, however the rest of the grounds were beautiful.

Don't be afraid to the explore the island, it's small and full of very friendly people. Just avoid the obvious tourist traps like snorkle beach.

WOW! everytime I see the price on Normandie it increases like the stock market! LOL

I ate 10 years ago on the normandie and I think the price was like.... $20 then I heard its $40 - then $45 and now $50 .. when does it end.. I think eventually you price yourself out of the market because $100 for two becomes costly.

It seems it goes up by $5 every so often. Started at $20 then $25, then I'm not sure if it went to $30, but I know the last time we paid to eat there it was $35, then went to $45 and now $50. We no longer go.

where is the elite breakfast exactly? can my daughter come with me?

i was on BA last summer (just MH and I) and i went to snorkel park the last day by myself (after horseshoe bay). yes, it was crowded but it also provides a nice shallow calm cove for the little ones to swim comfortably in (with facilities…she could easily go to the ladies room 10 times in one beach day lol). i don't mind paying the up charge if she's happy and comfortable.

Edited by dorito6778

where is the elite breakfast exactly? can my daughter come with me?

Yes, your daughter can come with you but we went once. It's really gone downhill. We couldn't even get a yogurt. Unless you just want a plate of pastries or a plate of fruit for breakfast with a smoothie and a specialty coffee, tea, bloody mary, mimosa, bellini. The buffet is way better for breakfast.