Epic 24 may Cruise Day 3- Naples/Ischia

trfccruiser

Up early today as had planned a day in Ischia.Buffet breakfast was very busy many people going to Pompeii ,Sorrento or Capri.Last time we were on a Med cruise in 2009 I was keen to do something different and we went to Ischia and we all fell in love with the place .To me it is more beautiful than Capri and has the most wonderful thermal baths.Unfortunately,this was one of the stops NCL had shaved an hour off departure time which meant I had to change hydrofoil plans.There is an excellent website Ischia Review which is run by Silvana who just wants to encourage more people to visit this less well known island.There are hydrofoil times and lots of information about the island itself.I also emailed Silvana with queries and received very helpful replies.I eventually booked a taxi through Silvavna which I prepaid via paypal as we were a bit time on travel time.

We got off the ship and straight into the port building which I think is lovely,art deco style and marble halls.I remember this place so well as a child and it seemed huge (it still does!).I love the way you enter straight into the building on a level rather than sloped gangway,I wish more ports had buildings like this.

We walked towards the ferry terminal which is very close and were hassled by taxi drivers wanting to take us to Sorrento-“Why do you want to go to Ischia?”Because I like it…

We got the 8.25 to Cassimiciola(not Ischia’s main port but much nearer where we wanted to go which is the Negombo thermal baths in Lacco Ameno.It is simply stunning the scenery is idyllic.

The complex is 30 Euros for the day but is worth every Euro.There are various large and small pools in varying temperatures heated by the volcanic island.Ther are cold plunge pools too which are fun in a masochistic way.Negombo also has it’s own beach which is beautiful and well equipped and 2 restaurants.There are changing rooms too.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough.If you are looking to do something different in naples then this is it for me.

The park also has waterfall type baths which are like getting a free massage.

We had a lovely pasta and salad meal and a fresh fruit platter that was even nicer than the ship,it was beyond fresh tasting.All too soon,it was time to get the hydrofoil back this time a taxi ride to the main port which was a longer journey but only about 15 minutes and we saw some lovely scenery en route.I was a bit nervous that the hydrofoil was due back at 5.05 and Epic sailed at 6 but it was fine,there was one after it that would have got us onboard just in time in fact.

The ladies had a snooze when back on board and I tried to book Moderno again unsuccessfully so booked via the TV for Friday.We ended up eating in the buffet that night which was fine.the highlight was the pancake station pakes made fresh to order with numerous yummy (if slightly sickly) fillings.I customised my own with ice cream.Plenty of ice cream flavours available all the time at the buffet (well except breakfast!)

We then had a wander round the hub of the ship deck 7 and listened to a disco tribute band 70’s and 80’s which we enjoyed but Rachel decided was “naff”.

IMGP1940_zpsnckabofg.jpg

One of the main pools fronting onto the beach in Ischia

IMGP1954_zpsees3ep3v.jpg

Hot plunge pool in Ischia,cold one next door!

IMGP1956_zps1cegmxcu.jpg

Waterfall pool in Ischia

IMGP1939_zps8pnjnuuw.jpg

Flowers in Thermal park the scenery was stunning

IMGP1952_zps9voqgqbr.jpg

Fresh fruit platter in Ischia and boy was it fresh!

IMGP1965_zpsm3osx7gh.jpg

Hyrofoil journey back to Naples.It was a beautiful day but clouded over briefly on way back.

Would you be able to use paragraphs, as this is quite difficult to read. I'm interested in reading your review, as we will also be on Epic. Thanks!

Hi Lady Arwen,I'm not sure what browser etc you are using but it is paragraphed.

Lovely pictures I too love Ischia I have stayed twice now for a week each time once in Forio and last year in Sant Angelo I would love to go again next year , but SHHHHHHHHH Ischia is a secret Paradise dont tell too many people about it :)

Lovely pictures I too love Ischia I have stayed twice now for a week each time once in Forio and last year in Sant Angelo I would love to go again next year , but SHHHHHHHHH Ischia is a secret Paradise dont tell too many people about it :)

Hi Glittergal,I know what you mean.I think quite rightly though that Ischia people wonder why Capri gets so many more tourists as they believe it's the nicer Island(and so do I).

I'm seriously thinking of booking a longer trip,how did you find where to stay?Ischia review is really good but it scares me that there are no prices on there!

I just searched all travel and holiday websites for hotels in Ischia , I booked flights and hotels separate but booked a private transfer to get me from the airport in Naples to the Hydrofoil then over to Ischia then from the port in Ischia to my hotel , I would recommend this as it was so stress free :)

Ischia review is so useful and very helpful I just emailed any questions I had.

My advise is to choose a hotel with a thermal pool ours was pure bliss

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Lady Arwen,I'm not sure what browser etc you are using but it is paragraphed.

Not paragraphed for me either, using Tapatalk :/ Enjoyed, however! Tyvm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not paragraphed for me either, using Tapatalk :/ Enjoyed, however! Tyvm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hi it definitely is paragraphed on Chrome,IE,Opera.I paragraphed the writing in Word and then copied and pasted it,so can't understand what has gone wrong,apologies if difficult to read.

Of course the other issue is that I can't try to amend because after a very short time the ability to edit is disabled!

philhar, looks nice, but we live near the beach in Georgia and don't do beaches on cruises. We prefer historical and cultural sites. There are plenty of those in the Naples area.

The Amalfi Coast is great, as well.