Last Minute Cruise Prices

delta13

We're looking for something to do last minute over the 4th of July weekend, so I started to look at cruises. I was looking at a 4 day Victory cruise and I've heard that Carnival may not be discounting as much close in, but while doing a mock booking, it looks like there are almost 200 cabins available on this ship, wouldn't you think they would want to fill some of them and drop the price. Appreciate any thoughts?

I've read the articles too, but just can't imagine they would let that amount of cabins spoil. I also qualify for interline rates and noticed a great deal on Elation out of NOLA, but I would really prefer the additional stop on Victory and the bigger ship. I might hold tight for now and maybe they will come out with interline pricing on Victory.

We're looking for something to do last minute over the 4th of July weekend, so I started to look at cruises. I was looking at a 4 day Victory cruise and I've heard that Carnival may not be discounting as much close in, but while doing a mock booking, it looks like there are almost 200 cabins available on this ship, wouldn't you think they would want to fill some of them and drop the price. Appreciate any thoughts?

I have done the same thing, and like you would see a huge number of cabins a few weeks before sail date. One thing, it may be that the guaranty cabins have not been assigned yet, giving the folks who want a specific cabin to have more choices.

I hope you can get a deal. Over 4th of July weekend may be a bit tougher, but I have seen good deals over different holiday times in the past. Hope it works out. I have booked 2 to 6 weeks out most of the time and for me is the best pricing.

Good point about the guarantees... didn't think of that, although the Elation shows very few cabins left and that one has great interline pricing for the same date. I usually book 4-6 weeks out and have been able to score some great interline deals as I also usually cruise non peak times. Last year got an outstanding deal on the Breeze in early September and than another great deal on Disney early December, both interline rates. I knew over the 4th might be tough, but thought I'd check anyways!

Good point about the guarantees... didn't think of that, although the Elation shows very few cabins left and that one has great interline pricing for the same date. I usually book 4-6 weeks out and have been able to score some great interline deals as I also usually cruise non peak times. Last year got an outstanding deal on the Breeze in early September and than another great deal on Disney early December, both interline rates. I knew over the 4th might be tough, but thought I'd check anyways!

That's all I can think of is due to the GTY scenario.

I am also interline, and too book 4-6 weeks out. Last year got a great deal on Splendor 8 night reposition San Juan to Miami within 17 days of sail date. Then a month later within 12 days of sailing, got another great deal on Paradise from Tampa, a 4 night. Hadn't planned that one just being off Splendor a month before but the price was so good, also as a solo, I went again.

I have found some great times to travel Caribbean is the last week in Nov, just after Thanksgiving and the 1st week in Dec. A lot of ships have come back to FL, and demand isn't that great compared to all the capacity. A lot of nice ships too, to choose from.

Depends on time of year. When demand is high (usually when kids are out of school), there are few cabins left at the last minute and thus no reason for Carnival to discount them. I saw a balcony room for 7 nights last minute last September for $399 pp.

Last minute cruise prices are still out there, but its more difficult to find during holidays and in the summer. We've booked many last minute cruises, but most were off season. You won't have much of a chance getting a deal on a holiday week like July 4th. You might be able to get something in August, but you have to be willing to look at all departures. You can also get better deals if you live in the state where the departure port is located. For instance, here in Texas they offer Texas Resident Rates on some last minute cruises. They know that most of the last minute cabins are sold to folks that live within a short distance to the port. This is why you see lots of Houston folks who travel frequently on Carnival from Galveston.

As of today there are still 15 to 16 days to go before the sailing date. Carnival can easily make 10 - 12 bookings a day on this ship and sell about 160 cabins.

Add to that as stated above, many Guarantees haven't been assigned yet.

Add to all of this the fact that the 4 day Victory is a Miami based ship and a holiday weekend and there is most likely a huge waitlist for Carnival's few thousand Miami based headquarter employees who sail "comped." The employee benefit "comp" assignments are done 2-3 days out.

The Victory should be sailing full.