Fizzlewicket's First Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas 6/4 – 6/13/2015

Your review is great. With all the pictures you have posted, you have not included one of yourself and Tanya.

We will be taking this cruise at the end of July are really looking forward to it, even more thanks to your review.

Not sure if you were asked yet, but did you have an internet package? If so, how was it?

That's the thing about our vacation pictures, we are never in them. First of all, both of us hate having our picture taken. Second of all, if I look back at a photo of a place we went or a thing we saw, us standing in the photo just blocks the view of what we want to see. If I tell you I went someplace then show you a picture of the place I went, I would hope you would believe that I went there. I mean what do you really want to see, photos of the beautiful island beaches that we visit or me standing in front of the beautiful island beaches blocking your view of said beaches. Clear as mud?

As far as the internet package, I have read during many reviews and heard comments throughout the ship that the internet was really slow. No one I talked to ever said the package was worth the price. And the price was very high.

I even kept my iPhone on airplane mode the whole cruise, even in ports, and was very happy that I did.

We're reading this review with great interest. It's like a good book we can't put down!

Much like you and your wife, we'll be taking our very first cruise on the Liberty of the Seas in October. We are also in our early 40's and don't have any children. Oddly enough, your wife's tastes sounds a lot like mine. And my wife is snickering while reading because she thinks it's funny that, like you, I like to try new things for the sake of trying new things.

Anyway, definitely subscribed. We're waiting for the next "chapter"!

I kept seeing this gentleman on the flow rider many mornings. He was quite good at it. I normally only saw about 3-4 people in the early mornings that I went there. So each person had a lot of time on the flow rider.

In the mornings from 9-12 the Flowrider was only for stand-up surfing. From 12-3 they had boogie boarding and then switched back to stand-up from 3-5 when they closed.

I thought the boogie boarding was a lot more fun than the stand-up surfing but I was one of the few people who were there religiously in the mornings (and pretty much all day, to be honest) to try to get good at both.

Do you recall what some of the options at Jade were? My husband likes noodle soups/dishes and always enjoys the noodle bars on NCL. I am hoping he can get that at Jade.

We sail in 3 weeks!

From what I recall, they alternated asian and indian cuisine in Jade. You would have things like noodle dishes with things like shrimp and chicken, asian style pork, different types of rice dishes, curries, indian soups with chick peas and vegetarian dishes.

I remember one night they had fried fish like you would get with a beer batter. I grabbed a couple of those and then when to the chicken curry and smothered my fish with the curry liquid. Wow, that was really good!

Well, we have toured most of the ship and talked about dining … Was there anything I forgot? The ports? Oh yeah … I have lots of pictures of the ports. Let’s check them out.

Bermuda

Before we left Cape Liberty, the weather for Bermuda showed thunderstorms and rain. Everyone was hoping that it would clear up by the time we got there.

The morning we arrived, Tanya and I got up early to watch the ship pull into port. We had never seen anything like this and our heads darted left and right and all around to watch all the activity of the tugboats and port crew. Tanya and I agreed that being able to watch these kinds of things was definitely worth getting a balcony. The weather wasn’t too bad as we pulled in. It was just bit drizzly and overcast. When the ship had secured to the port, we went to have breakfast. We were not planning too much. Tanya wanted to do some jewelry shopping on the Wharf for her family and her. I just wanted to see Horseshoe beach which I had heard was one of the top 10 beaches in the world.

Bermuda%200.jpg

Bermuda%201.jpg

Well, after a delicious but quick breakfast, we went back to the balcony to see what was going on outside. They told us they would be letting passengers off at a certain time, but they were getting off much earlier. As we watched, the weather got worse. There was a steady rain and from our view, it looked like people were walking through a hurricane by the way the wind was pushing against them. We watched them head to a tented area not too far down the port. People started turning back to the ship telling people along the way that all the excursions had been cancelled. Well, it seemed less likely we would be going to Horseshoe beach now. Well, it was still early right?

A little drizzle wasn’t going to stop from experiencing our first ever cruise port, so we grabbed our sweatshirts and headed out to the Wharf. Nothing was going to stop me from having a good time. I mean doesn’t cruising involve water and swimming? And in this case, of going down into the water, the water is over us and providing a pleasant spray as we moved along. I mean, it’s just water and clothing does dry.

We can to our first shop and there were your typical souvenirs with the place marked on them, t-shirts, hats, some jewelry, swim gear, and all that. You know, just basic tourist trap items. As Tanya was buying a piece of jewelry, I had a chance to look outside again. Oh my stars and garters! (10 points of you get that reference.) It was pouring rain outside. Everyone in the store started grabbing these cheap sheer plastic blue Bermuda rain coverings and buying them. I mean the moment you stepped outside, you might as well have been in a pool. But Tanya and I, with our hardened spirits of adventure, just continued on. We went from store to store and took in the local scenery. We came to a large really old looking building with clocks on top. The Clocktower Mall, the sign said. We went in and were happy to be in a dry environment again. This place was very quaint. It was an “L” shaped mall with lots of little shop selling every touristy thing you could ask for. We spent most of the morning there.

Bermuda%2044.jpg

Tanya bought some jewelry at the Clocktower Market and we perused all the shops since it was fun and we were waiting for the rain to die down. The rain wasn’t letting off, so we just made our way back to the ship as fast as we could. We went back to the cabin and changed clothes. It seemed heading to the Horseshoe beach was becoming a more distant possibility.

We were hungry again, and Tanya suggested Johnny Rockets. As we ate our lunch, wouldn’t you have guessed it? The rain stopped and the sun came out. Well, it looked we were going to have a good port day yet.

Bermuda%203.jpg

We went out again and walked around the Wharf, checking out the really old buildings and the area in general.

Bermuda%207.jpg

Bermuda%209.jpg

Bermuda%2088.jpg

We did find a beach in the Wharf walking distance from the ship and found people there playing volleyball, swimming, drinking and generally having a good time, but I had my heart set on Horseshoe. But by that time, it was around 1pm and the all aboard was a 330pm. We took in the rest of the sights and headed back to the ship.

Bermuda%2099.jpg

During my initial cruising research, I was considering NCL Breakaway 7 day Bermuda cruise, but after consulting with my better half, she really did not want to just be on one island for 3 days. I asked her after this Bermuda outing whether she would want to take a cruise back there and it was a resounding yes! She really wanted to see the rest of the island now. Another cruise … and to Bermuda … that definitely works for me.

Really enjoying your review. We'll be on Liberty July 16 sailing.

It is a shame that you could not get to Horseshoe Bay. Look on the bright side though; now you have a great reason to return to Bermuda!

I hear ya about being in your photos! its just that it would be nice to put a face(s) to the folks living the story!;)

Edited by richsea

Addeundum to Bermuda and Fizz's First Cruise Tip for the Day: Make sure you get a Starboard side cabin if you are getting a balcony. That is where you can get the best view when arriving and leaving ports and in the case of Bermuda and later St. Martin, the ship does a fantastic "tour" around the island as it leaves for the next port. It's almost like getting a free excursion. Those free "excursions" were defintely a highlight of our cruise.

If you already have an inside room or a portside balcony, join your Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise and see if you can get to know someone with a starboard balcony for the sailway for Bermuda and St. Martin. Maybe find someone without a drink package and grease their palms by paying for a few of their "adult" beverages. :p It will be well worth it. :D

By kinda popular demand, this is Tanya and I in Alaska about 12 years ago when I was stationed at Eielson AFB. Unfortunately you will need to add about 40 lbs each, a few more inches of hair length for me and some wrinkles to picture what we look like today.

IMG_0077.jpg

Moving on to St. Martin/St. Martaan

Before we start … Fizz’s Second Cruise Tip of the Day. You remember when I told you about the helipad on the front of the ship? A few hours before you reach St. Martin, make sure you go out there and experience the front of the ship. I won’t try to explain it. Just do it. And remember when I told you when Tanya was sitting there with the warm sun beaming down and the cool ocean breeze? That’s when she was there. And if I could bottle that experience and sell it, I would be a billionaire and there would be world peace because all the stress would be gone and everyone would be so relaxed.

Addeundum to Bermuda and Fizz's First Cruise Tip for the Day: Make sure you get a Starboard side cabin if you are getting a balcony. That is where you can get the best view when arriving and leaving ports and in the case of Bermuda and later St. Martin, the ship does a fantastic "tour" around the island as it leaves for the next port. It's almost like getting a free excursion. Those free "excursions" were defintely a highlight of our cruise.

I believe that the side of ship that faces the port is essentially random.

We've had cruises where sometimes it's port and sometimes starboard without any real discernible reason.

I believe that the side of ship that faces the port is essentially random.

We've had cruises where sometimes it's port and sometimes starboard without any real discernible reason.

On our cruise, every port was on the starboard side. Even in Labadee, the ship arrive portside then did a 180 when it docked. But thank you for the information ... I thought this was normal.

On recent LOS 9 nighters portside wound up being starboard side and vice versa. On the 5 nighter they have docked "correctly." On our roll call Bushido was keeping score. I usually choose starboard side because I prefer to see the water. On our Allure sailing that rule was not followed.

Tanya bought some jewelry at the Clocktower Market and we perused all the shops since it was fun and we were waiting for the rain to die down. The rain wasn’t letting off, so we just made our way back to the ship as fast as we could. We went back to the cabin and changed clothes. It seemed heading to the Horseshoe beach was becoming a more distant possibility.

We were hungry again, and Tanya suggested Johnny Rockets. As we ate our lunch, wouldn’t you have guessed it? The rain stopped and the sun came out. Well, it looked we were going to have a good port day yet.

Bermuda%203.jpg

We went out again and walked around the Wharf, checking out the really old buildings and the area in general.

Bermuda%207.jpg

Bermuda%209.jpg

Bermuda%2088.jpg

We did find a beach in the Wharf walking distance from the ship and found people there playing volleyball, swimming, drinking and generally having a good time, but I had my heart set on Horseshoe. But by that time, it was around 1pm and the all aboard was a 330pm. We took in the rest of the sights and headed back to the ship.

Bermuda%2099.jpg

During my initial cruising research, I was considering NCL Breakaway 7 day Bermuda cruise, but after consulting with my better half, she really did not want to just be on one island for 3 days. I asked her after this Bermuda outing whether she would want to take a cruise back there and it was a resounding yes! She really wanted to see the rest of the island now. Another cruise … and to Bermuda … that definitely works for me.

We had the same result in our first foray to Bermuda last fall. It was a bit disappointing as my heart was set on seeing Horseshoe Bay as well. We will be back in September with an overnight and hoping for better weather this time around😊

Kathy

Thank you for the amazing review of the Liberty of the seas. This is going to be my first cruise this July 2-11th,2015.

I seen that on day one they advertise unlimited internet is that true for 15$ per device? I been looking though the threads and cant find much information.

Also I see it says selected pools and whirlpools are open 24hr, just curious do they have the pools open 24hr or is it just the whirlpools.

Would you wait to buy the drink package on the boat because I believe its 10$ cheaper per day?

I really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you ,

Tyler

...Also I see it says selected pools and whirlpools are open 24hr, just curious do they have the pools open 24hr or is it just the whirlpools....

The is usually at least one pool and one whirlpool open 24 hours.

Thank you! I saw one thread that said pools closed at 10pm so thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it!

anyone have information about the wifi? one thread had it that you can pay for a set of mins? curious about the unlimited. Thank you everyone!

Thank you! I saw one thread that said pools closed at 10pm so thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it!

anyone have information about the wifi? one thread had it that you can pay for a set of mins? curious about the unlimited. Thank you everyone!

I believe all the "per minute" plans have been discontinued. They seem to be converging to $20 per day for one device and $30 per day for two devices.