Fizzlewicket's First Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas 6/4 – 6/13/2015

Thank you for the amazing review of the Liberty of the seas. This is going to be my first cruise this July 2-11th,2015.

I seen that on day one they advertise unlimited internet is that true for 15$ per device? I been looking though the threads and cant find much information.

Also I see it says selected pools and whirlpools are open 24hr, just curious do they have the pools open 24hr or is it just the whirlpools.

Would you wait to buy the drink package on the boat because I believe its 10$ cheaper per day?

I really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you ,

Tyler

There was a flyer in the RC online area and while I do not remember all the details, the first price on the sheet was $149. I do not remember anything lower than that. I may have been the price for a week of internet, but the prices below $149 were even higher. It is all a bit hazy by now. Being the fact that I knew the internet was slow (from all the comments and reviews), I did not pay attention to any of the prices. I had just happened to pick up and glace at the flyer just to see what was on it.

From what I saw, the pools were never closed, but there were times, near the evening where the whirlpools in the solarium were blocked for a short time. It may have been for cleaning because, later in the evening, they were open again. I did not really pay much attention to the main pool area or the jacuzzis there, but do not recall any barriers or anything being blocked off. I do remember people sitting in the jacuzzis and swimming in the pool at night during the sports games they had shown on the big screen.

As for the drink packages, I bought Tanya the Ultimate Drink package. I wanted her to be able to get any type of drink she wanted whenever she wanted, but at the end I completely regreted that decision. Ice water was plentiful throughout the ship. She had two speciality coffees (iced coffee) and mostly drank regular Coke with her souvenir cup. She normally only drank one or two adult beverages a day, so overall I lost a lot of money and will not be buying any adult beverage package on the Oasis.

My situation is probably more near what you are asking. I thought I could just get by with my insulated drink bottle and my crystal light ice tea for the duration of the cruise. About the 3rd day, I was dying for some soda, so I went to the Customer Relations desk and waited in line. A helpful crewmember who was outside the desk area came over and asked if he could help with anything and I said I wanted to buy the soda drink package. He proceeded to show me a gentlemen about 15 feet away who was selling the packages on the promenade. First off, hats off for the crewmember for seeing if he could answer questions for those in line. I thought that was great customer service. When I arrived at the drink package table, the lowest priced package that included soda and the cup was $20 a day. Since I really wanted the soda, I bought that package. I remembered that was a soda package that I could have bought with the cruise planner that was only $6 a day. So lesson learned and now I will be only buying the $6 soda package with the cruise planner for Tanya and I on the Oasis before we board and paying for the adult beverages and any specialty coffee as we go.

Long story short, I did not see any discounts or sales on drink packages when we boarded or any day after. Consider your packages very carefully or you may be out hundreds of dollars like me.

St. Martin/St. Martaan

Before we talk about St. Martin, can we take a sec and take about the ocean water just before St. Martin? Look at this photo! So blue. I had never seen water this blue before. I mean that's completely unedited photo and it's amazing. Maybe it's because I am a new cruiser and see things a bit differently than some who has cruised many times before, but I'll say it again. Wow Wow and Wow!

Martin%200.jpg

We arrived around 1pm and there was only a short time before we were allowed to disembark. We had a tour scheduled with Bernard’s Tours and proceed to get lost in the port area, but there was very helpful people who pointed us in the right direction. Our tour bus was small and seated around 20 people. It was well air conditioned and there was no bad seat on the bus. Our tour guide was Junior and he was born and raised on St. Martin. His information was very insightful and he accented his commentary with lots of humor. We headed to Maho beach first because he wanted to see if we could see any of the planes take off and land.

This was our first photo stop. Then we were off to Maho beach.

Martin%202.jpg

When we arrived, Tanya and I walked the beach and got our feet wet in the warm Caribbean waves. The beach was incredibly narrow near the bar there but as you moved down the beach the beach because much wider. If I were spending any time on that beach, I would have been as far from that bar as possible. But that's just one man's opinion.

Right outside the seaside bar and restaurant

Martin%205.jpg

And about halfway down the beach

Martin%206.jpg

We did see several planes land. Some large and some small. (Sorry about the partial sentences, but I am aiming for a more conversational tone in my writing and this is how I would have a conversation.) We also saw a plane depart. I was never quick enough on the draw though for a picture. Whenever I would try to get my iPhone out and then unlock the camera, the planes had already gone by. But all in all, it was a very interesting experience. Soon enough, we were back on the bus heading to Merigot on the French side for some shopping and pastries.

What a great review! We are sailing on the 8/8 cruise and cruised on the Liberty in 2007 but have forgotten a lot of information.

I have enjoyed all of the pictures, too. You are making me rethink my decision to not try the specialty restaurants. That risotto dish looked wonderful.

Edited by Mistletoe76
I fixed my spelling ;)

We arrive at Merigot. There are a ton of little shop tables with dresses, shirts, carved items, bags, jewelry and all kinds of other items.

Martin%2077.jpg

Martin%208.jpg

Tanya eventually gets a great deal on a couple of dresses and a matching bag. Of course, I was scoping out the area for the most interesting photos I could, but we only have an hour, so I have so balance between the best photos, following my wife around as she shops and taking a quick look at the interesting buildings in the area. We found a ritzy mall (the yellow building behind the red boat) and took a quick peek inside. The mall itself was very small and the stores were even smaller. Most of the merchandise was very expensive clothing, shoes and snooty items. Certainly nothing in our price range.

This is one of my favorite photos ...

Martin%209.jpg

Sarafina’s Pasty Shop is in that area and we head over there last. We walked and talked with another couple we met that came in on their own boat and were there just for Sarafina’s. Low and behold, we find it’s closed because it’s Tuesday and they are always closed on Tuesday. They had mentioned Sarafina's was "world renowned" and were quite upset that it was closed. We reluctantly went done to another pastry shop only a few shops down and they really did not have much of a selection of anything. It was getting late in the day and Junior had mentioned most stores and shops close around 5pm, so that pastry shop was probably just selling the last they had before they closed. A matter of fact, I do remember the shopkeepers with the stands starting to pack up as we left that area. Another couple on the bus was furious that Sarafina’s was closed. This was the second time they cruised to St. Martin and the pastry shop had been closed both times. “I am never coming back here again!” the wife exclaimed.

We got back on the bus again for the last leg of our tour.

Edited by Fizzlewicket

Touring around St. Martin and St. Martaan definitely was an eye opener. It was like looking behind the scenes at Disneyland and seeing the real world behind the fantasy. It was certainly much different that I had pictured in my mind and from what I had read. I have read that St. Martin was the Caribbean Cuisine Capital and expected to see fancy restaurants that had amazing curb appeal to draw patrons in. Instead, there were very square buildings made with concrete that more for function than beauty. The function being weathering the hurricanes that visited the island every few years. They were sparsely decorated on the outside and frankly kind of run down. Oh, I bet the cuisine was fantastic and would probably have enjoyed many a meal there, but the whole area was just not visually appealing.

As we traveled throughout the streets, you can see the island for that it truly was in all its nakedness. Very basic housing and rough around the edges in every way with pockets of dwellings for those who did have money. There were buildings that still had metal roofs that were literally were still peeled back as if a hurricane had just happened yesterday with trees still uprooted and lying next to the home. Some stores had basic hand painted letter on wooden signs not really attached to anything. Junior may have found this to be normal, but to the outsider, this looked like a harsh and impoverished place where people struggled to survive. Most people may never see this side of the island, because they arrive and are whisked off to some fancy resort to relax in the sun and be wined and dined. Maybe it shows me a bit hypocritical since here I am spending thousands of dollars to ride around in a multi-million dollar flowing resort, but when you are there, on the street level of the island, it seems to bring you back to the real world. I hope this portion wasn’t too depressing. I am really just trying to be honest here. This was actually very tough to write.

But, enough about that … who wants to see a bunch of iguanas?

Martin%2011.jpg

Anyway, overall I highly recommend an island tour if you want to see the island in all of it’s naked glory. But I think if or when we come again, we shall make it a beach day.

Well, let’s liven the mood with a picture of Liberty of the Seas’ “butt” as I called it while coming back to the ship. You know ... maybe the heat fried my brain.

Martin%2015.jpg

And we will close this St. Martin portion with one of my most favorite pictures of the cruise which I took on my balcony right before we left. We loved watching the ship sail away on our balcony.

Martin%2055.jpg

Edited by Fizzlewicket

Long story short, I did not see any discounts or sales on drink packages when we boarded or any day after. Consider your packages very carefully or you may be out hundreds of dollars like me.

Now I'm slightly worried. I was planning on buying our drink packages (Soda package for her, "Royal Replenish" for me... neither one of us are big alcohol drinkers) once we get on board so we could use our OBC, but now I'm concerned we'll get fleeced.

Now I'm slightly worried. I was planning on buying our drink packages (Soda package for her, "Royal Replenish" for me... neither one of us are big alcohol drinkers) once we get on board so we could use our OBC, but now I'm concerned we'll get fleeced.

I did a quick google search using "buying drink package using OBC" and this was one of the first things listed from Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2086290

It sounds like you CAN use OBC to buy your drink package once you get onboard if you like, but the lowest cost package that they offered is the Royal Refresh package for $20 a day. I would suggest buying the $6 soda package for her now and buying yours once onboard. Using any remaining OBC to pay for anything else you may purchase onboard. Hope that helps.

I didn't see anything in that link about not being able to use OBC to buy a Soda package. Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything, all the drink packags (including the $6.50 per day soda package) can be purchased onboard using OBC.

Edited by clarea

You didn't miss anything, all the drink packags (including the $6.50 per day soda package) can be purchased onboard using OBC.

I asked about the $6 soda package when onboard the Liberty, but the crewmember said the lowest one available was the $20 Royal Refresh. There was even a flier at the drink package table and the $6 package was not listed. Trust me, if I would have been able, I would have purchased the $6 package. I am only going off my limited experience here.

Even the RC website seems to indicate I could have purchased the $6 soda package onboard.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=3653&faqSubjectId=336

I can understand why this whole drink package process is very confusing.

Edited by Fizzlewicket

I asked about the $6 soda package when onboard the Liberty, but the crewmember said the lowest one available was the $20 Royal Refresh. There was even a flier at the drink package table and the $6 package was not listed. Trust me, if I would have been able, I would have purchased the $6 package. I am only going off my limited experience here.

Even the RC website seems to indicate I could have purchased the $6 soda package onboard.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=3653&faqSubjectId=336

All I can think if is that there was some sort of misunderstanding with the crewmember.

Addeundum to Bermuda and Fizz's First Cruise Tip for the Day: Make sure you get a Starboard side cabin if you are getting a balcony. That is where you can get the best view when arriving and leaving ports and in the case of Bermuda and later St. Martin, the ship does a fantastic "tour" around the island as it leaves for the next port. It's almost like getting a free excursion. Those free "excursions" were defintely a highlight of our cruise.

If you already have an inside room or a portside balcony, join your Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise and see if you can get to know someone with a starboard balcony for the sailway for Bermuda and St. Martin. Maybe find someone without a drink package and grease their palms by paying for a few of their "adult" beverages. :p It will be well worth it. :D

Strangely, I thought long and hard about the viability of this "tip" recently. You could easily have gone to deck 4 (the wrap around deck), the pool deck and the deck above the pool deck for a excellent view of the ship pulling in and leaving the port. Of all these places, I personally would recommend deck 4 since it is covered in case of bad weather and the wind level is less there. At those places, you could also have a great view of the sailaway "island tour" for Bermuda and San Juan, which I still very highly recommend people hang out to see as it, again, was a highlight of our cruise.

I know that I've read reviews about people having trouble buying the soda package before. This did not surprise me when I read it because I know it's happened in the past-- it's not supposed to, though.

By the way-- this review is awesome!!

Just wanted to also add my thanks for you taking the time to do this review. It is fantastic. We are sailing Liberty October 22 for 10 nights and because of your review I am now really excited. We usually sail Celebrity so I was a bit apprehensive about crossing over.

Old San Juan

We arrived there around 7am and everyone was up and ready to disembark for a very short port day. Both of us were relatively quiet as we exploring the lanes and streets of the city with our eyes darting over every detail trying to take in as much as we could.

I keep trying to get the perfect angle for pictures. I learned a lot during this trip. Can you believe this was the first time I seriously photographed anything? I don’t have a camera at home. And I really have never tried to document anything in my life with any type of camera device. But I must admit, my iPhone is doing a fantastic job. One key thing I learned is that it is better to take photos with the sun behind you. So I kept that that in mind as I traveled through the city, but I was not always successful.

San%201.jpg

San%202.jpg

San%203.jpg

San%204.jpg

San%205.jpg

Aloha Fizzlewicket :D,

The soft drink package is now $6.50/day for adult, $4.50 for 17 & under. 9 days, $58.50 adult, $40.50 17 & under.

"Royal Refreshment Package. Enjoy unlimited refills on fountain Coca-Cola® products at any of our bars, lounges, Windjammer Café, Main Dining Room, and at our private destinations. A complimentary Coca-Cola souvenir cup is included!"

After reading you review, I'm going to buy the soft drink package for me and the twelve 1 liter Evian water for $39 for my wife and I'm definitely bringing an insulated hot cup to keep my coffee warm.

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda