Bennett Scenic Journey?

Schlepporello

I've been hoping to do this train the last 2 times I went to Skagway. It appears the train is where it's supposed to be, but the trip is never listed in the excursions offered by the ship I'm on. Any ideas as to why that would be?

Edited by Schlepporello

Three factors that come to mind:

1) It's a long trip, and could be returning too late at night for your itinerary. When we did it in 2012, we got back to town after 6:15. For our 2014 and upcoming 2015 cruise, that'd be almost two hours too late to catch the ship before it heads south ~1000 miles to Victoria BC.

2) It's a long enough trip that it only operates in one direction per day. When we did it in 2012, it was outbound, and we got to Carcross around 3:00 with a 3:30 time to be aboard the bus that took us back to town. The train crew "turned the train around" and parked it on a siding, then drove back to Skagway in a van. Presumably the next day's crew (and passengers) come out to Carcross, then make the trek inbound to Skagway. Perhaps the opposing directions puts the train on a schedule that's too early for your ship.

3) The WPYR is mostly a single track, with what appeared to me as very few sidings. What sidings they have are likely manually controlled. As such, they have to sequence the day's runs very carefully: the trains going the farthest have to leave first so they can be "in front". After that, trains going a medium distance round-trip, then trains going a shorter distance round-trip, etc., with possibly two short round-trips happening before one medium round-trip can come all the way back to Skagway, etc.

Have you checked wpyr.com to see if they offer the tour directly?

As far as it not being offered by your cruise line that could be a cruise line issue - I know that NCL does not offer it - but we were in port long enough for me to do it in 12. Another issue is the day of the week - the train does not run every day.

Yes the tour is available through the RR directly or through Chilkoot tours.

I booked it through Chilkoot and had a blast. As for getting to the train, most ships are docked and ready to debark by 7:00 AM.

I hope that you are able to do this as it is a great trip.

I booked it through Chilkoot and had a blast.

I just did this on Friday the 12th with a 7:20 am meet time. My ship (Norwegian Sun) docked 7:00 am and I had no problem getting off to meet the Chilkoot driver in time. Just make sure you get in line early to disembark. It was a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...
I just did this on Friday the 12th with a 7:20 am meet time. My ship (Norwegian Sun) docked 7:00 am and I had no problem getting off to meet the Chilkoot driver in time. Just make sure you get in line early to disembark. It was a great trip.

Would you say it is definitely worth it to do the extended tour to Lake Bennett instead of just the White Pass Railroad? Do you see scenery and other things taking the Lake Bennett excursion that you don't see in other AK ports or excursions?

Thank you!

Would you say it is definitely worth it to do the extended tour to Lake Bennett instead of just the White Pass Railroad? Do you see scenery and other things taking the Lake Bennett excursion that you don't see in other AK ports or excursions?

Thank you!

If you are interested in more Gold Rush history then the town of Bennett is a must see. It is where the Chilkoot and White Pass trails ended. The town went from boom to zero overnight as soon as the lake thawed.

The lake itself is very pretty and something you won't see from the road. I know that the lunch is good.

After you reach Carcross the van takes you on to Emerald Lake and the Carcross Dessert. Then back to Skagway along the hy.

The other two train rides you can do are either one way between Skagway and Fraser - or roundtrip Skagway to the summit.

Thank you!

Are you interested in history? A railfan? The Lake Bennett excursion is certainly greatly enjoyed by people, who have the interest. It isn't a good choice if you aren't. There is easy access to part of the Chilkoot trail, the times I have gone (most recent, last year)- a guided walk available.

Hello, Budget Queen! Yes, we are interested in history, but probably even more interested in the scenery. I wondered if we would see different scenery if taking the longer trek to Bennett as opposed to just doing the RR. We originally planned to do the White Pass RR one way and the drive the other way, through Chilkoot Charters.

Hello, Budget Queen! Yes, we are interested in history, but probably even more interested in the scenery. I wondered if we would see different scenery if taking the longer trek to Bennett as opposed to just doing the RR. We originally planned to do the White Pass RR one way and the drive the other way, through Chilkoot Charters.

Certainly , yes you see more. Instead of round trip by road, Fraser/Emerald Lake, you would take the train to Carcross, and the Klondike Highway the other direction. They are parallel but no common views. Take a look at the route map, which should give you more information. http://wpyr.com/wp-content/themes/wpyr/maps/routemapsouth.html

Certainly , yes you see more. Instead of round trip by road, Fraser/Emerald Lake, you would take the train to Carcross, and the Klondike Highway the other direction. They are parallel but no common views. Take a look at the route map, which should give you more information. http://wpyr.com/wp-content/themes/wpyr/maps/routemapsouth.html

Thank you, Budget Queen! That map is very helpful! I have one more question...I've read people's comments that the White Pass & Yukon RR isn't worth it on a foggy/bad weather day because you can't see anything. If you take the extended tour to Lake Bennett, would that still be the case? Thank you again!

Thank you, Budget Queen! That map is very helpful! I have one more question...I've read people's comments that the White Pass & Yukon RR isn't worth it on a foggy/bad weather day because you can't see anything. If you take the extended tour to Lake Bennett, would that still be the case? Thank you again!

Sorry, there is NO way to predict any weather. I have toured in all of it, between Skagway and Emerald Lake. from pure bright sunshine, extensive fog, 12 high snow banks and white outs.

I'm pretty intolerant of some of the claims, of when these weather conditions happen,etc. Again, there is NO way to predict. I have experienced them at extended various times.

HOWEVER, I've never experienced the same "weather" in the various areas this journey takes you. In fact it is extremely vast and different. I've had the white out snow storms, on the White Pass Summit, then sunshine and a 20 degree difference in temps up at Bove Island, less than an hour later. The return can be totally different again. I say- enjoy what comes your way, it will be unique. You have to book this tour in advance. It leaves too early for any walk up possibilities, plus these tours are usually sold out.