White pass rail and Yukon expedition

sh2738

I am doing the white pass afraid and Yukon expedition through princess where you take a bus up to the Yukon and then take the rail back to Skagway. Is there a certain side of the bus and rail that you should sit on to get the best views? Thanks.

Agreed... the left side has a rock face against your window. On the train down... the white pass trail is about 45 degress below the right windows. It's about 2 feet wide. Hardly visible to those sitting on the left side.

Don't forget to look for the mouse!

Agreed... the left side has a rock face against your window. On the train down... the white pass trail is about 45 degress below the right windows. It's about 2 feet wide. Hardly visible to those sitting on the left side.

Don't forget to look for the mouse!

The mouse?? Seriously, up to this point I was nervous enough about the height of the trestles on this tour...now there's a mouse to look out for too?? Hope there's a bar onboard :D

The mouse?? Seriously, up to this point I was nervous enough about the height of the trestles on this tour...now there's a mouse to look out for too?? Hope there's a bar onboard :D

Haha yes for sure. I would like to see a MOOSE ;)

To welcome Disney cruisers... The White Pass staff put a Disney mouse on one of the rocks next to the tracks. Those on the right side will see it, but it's easy to miss if you blink as they narrate the WP trail.

There is no bar onboard, no food either, only water. Just a general comment, but this train ride is not for anyone with height issues. I've been on this train with people who never should have taken it. Time stands still when you have no options.

I am doing the white pass afraid and Yukon expedition through princess where you take a bus up to the Yukon and then take the rail back to Skagway. Is there a certain side of the bus and rail that you should sit on to get the best views? Thanks.

General information, the cruise ship tour, uses the full size touring buses, and has fixed stops- too much time is spent loading and unloading in my opinion. There are several variations that could be of interest for some. Alternatively there are independent vendors who have smaller groups, can be cost savings, and offer alternative stops.

There is no bar onboard, no food either, only water. Just a general comment, but this train ride is not for anyone with height issues. I've been on this train with people who never should have taken it. Time stands still when you have no options.

Good to know. Is the bus portion any better?

I have no heights/dropoff issues, so won't comment on "better". The Klondike Highway could very well not be suitable either for some people.

It really depends on your level of height issues. I don't like heights, but it is mostly the feeling of instability at heights. I hate suspension bridges, and ferris wheels. I've been saying for years that I might go up the Mt. Roberts tram someday, but haven't gotten the nerve to do it yet. I have been on the WPYR 3 times and it doesn't bother me as long as I'm in the train car. If I go out on the platform, I get a little edgy, but I've done it for a good photo. Depends on where the train is at the time. I probably wouldn't go out on the platform when crossing a trestle. I also have no issues with the road, but I usually don't have problems unless there are huge drop offs. If you often get nervous on mountain roads and/or bridges, you might have more problems than me.

Hopefully that gives you a better feel for how someone with height issues might handle this excursion.