Scooter on Celebrity Equinox

tiadog

We are doing eastern Med in Sept. This will be our first cruise in 22 years. It will also be the first trip like this since his stroke. He can walk, not well, with a cane for short distance. He has no real functional use of his right arm. He has scooters but the travel type is probably too big for a non handicap room.

Has anyone rented a scooter on these cruises? Any suggestions if we buy, for a foldable type? Any helpful suggestions for offshore excursions or just tips for traveling from Canada to Europe with these disabilities? Thanks.

We are doing eastern Med in Sept. This will be our first cruise in 22 years. It will also be the first trip like this since his stroke. He can walk, not well, with a cane for short distance. He has no real functional use of his right arm. He has scooters but the travel type is probably too big for a non handicap room.

Has anyone rented a scooter on these cruises? Any suggestions if we buy, for a foldable type? Any helpful suggestions for offshore excursions or just tips for traveling from Canada to Europe with these disabilities? Thanks.

This next cruise will be the first time my husband needs either a rollator or a mobility scooter. I have gotten lots of help on the Disabled Forum of Cruise Critic so I suggest you post your question there.

Scooters you rent from places like specialneedsatsea.com are usually too big for a non-handicap room. To buy a foldable one very expensive.

There are experienced hanicapped cruisers on the Disabled Forum. Hopefully they will be able to answer your questions satisfactorily.

For the last few years I have been renting from Care Vacations.

Most ships will store scooters overnight in a secure area and even charge it for you. That way it is not left in the hallway blocking the passage for others. Just call the front desk in the morning when you are ready for it.

I'm a full time scooter user, due to post polio syndrome. In all honesty, I just don't see how your husband will function in a regular cabin. I've cruised Equinox 6 times, so I know the ship very well. He will have a 4 to 6 inch step into the bathroom. The shower is very small and will not accommodate a shower chair. The toilets are very low, and no grab bars. A GoGo Elite traveler scooter will fit through a cabin door, with the armrests removed, but once inside the cabin, there's no place to put the scooter without blocking access to something. Celebrity does not allow scooters to be parked in the hallway, and they will NOT store it for you, nor charge it for you. You really, really need an accessible cabin.

Those folding scooters are insanely expensive, and the rental companies that are approved by the cruise line don't rent them. If I remember correctly, when I looked into a folding scooter, they were in the vicinity of $2600.

If you could tell us your ports of call, I can give you some advice on accessibility. But be prepared for access issues, a lot of places with no curb cut outs, and rough cobblestones. You also will have a tough time finding accessible vehicles. Ship tours are generally not accessible, but Celebrity has been getting a bit better with having one accessible tour.

The good thing is, Equinox's public areas are very accessible. All doors out to the open decks are electronic with low thresholds so the scooter will easily make it outside. The public bathrooms all have push button door openers, and the accessible stall is also push button for opening and locking.

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your input! We have booked a HC room so that is all good. Does anyone have an opinion on which scooter works best for cruise and shore. We have both a Luggie folding which is very easy to move around but not as comfortable as his Pride Gogo sport traveler which comes apart and is a travel scooter but much larger. .?

Most ships will store scooters overnight in a secure area and even charge it for you. That way it is not left in the hallway blocking the passage for others. Just call the front desk in the morning when you are ready for it.

Where do you get the information to make such a cavalier statement like that? Most cruise lines certainly do not store or charge scooters! Not Celebrity, not Carnival, not HAL, not RCI, not Cunard. All of these lines have wording similar to this from Celebrity's site: Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crew members.

If your cruise lines still stores and charges scooters please share that information so those with this need can book accordingly.

As kitty9 mentioned the biggest problem with a standard stateroom is not getting in the door but where to put it once inside.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thank you everyone for your input! We have booked a HC room so that is all good. Does anyone have an opinion on which scooter works best for cruise and shore. We have both a Luggie folding which is very easy to move around but not as comfortable as his Pride Gogo sport traveler which comes apart and is a travel scooter but much larger. .?

Husband has Luggie and loves it for travel. He also has the carry case to use for air travel to help prevent damage. He is able to walk short distances with a cane.

Husband has Luggie and loves it for travel. He also has the carry case to use for air travel to help prevent damage. He is able to walk short distances with a cane.

Does anyone have suggestions for shore excursions on Med. Not thrilled about accessible ones offered by Celebrity. Thinking of just getting a cab and asking for tour??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Diane,

Just wondering if you can email me re the Marseille Tour.

Just wondering if you have heard back from Provence Tours and if you have decided to stay with them or not.

I do have a couple definitiely wanting to the join the Marseille Tour. But you have first choice.

Thanks,

Christine

Hawaiiyes