Back to the Veendam

Alcarondas

So I had this little tradition going on, of announcing a new cruise on hundredth posts (Maasdam on post 100, Westie on 200). Well, I blew through 300 a couple months ago, and I don't feel like spamming 39 posts to get to 400, so we'll just let that die.

Anyway, I just snap-booked a CAN/NE cruise on Veendam for July 18. This will be my first return to that area (by ship, anyway) since Y2K, and my first trip on Veendam since The Great Defacement, or whatever they called it when they spoiled the aesthetics of the rear end. I had been on Veendam twice before that, and I really liked the interior decor at that time (early 00's) - it was much more restrained than Maasdam, which had a glitzy Vegas-like thing going on in those days (toned down quite a bit since then).

So funny story; I had originally blocked out that week in anticipation of sailing Ryndam in Norway, but the confounded airfare was costing me more than the cruise. Call me cheap (my dad sure does), but I just couldn't stomach paying more money to sit on a plane for a few hours than to live on a ship for a few days. C'est la vie.

Then it occured to me that for about half the price, I could spend the same seven days on almost the same ship with negligible travel costs (I already live in the Northeast, and have family in Boston). Bob's yer uncle, as they say, and here I am.

So, dear readers of Cruise Critic, you have about a month to gird up the strength to face another of my always-wordy, sometimes-tiresome, and occasionally-amusing (or so I flatter myself by thinking) trip reports. Ye be warned. :)

I do, and will probably continue to regret not having had the opportunity to see off the Ryndam before she goes to P&O/A. Hopefully she will have much success and win many friends in DownUnderLand. But silver linings and all that; I now have the opportunity to do the Norway thing next year on the KingKongsdam, or whatever that big thing is called. ;)

So I had this little tradition going on, of announcing a new cruise on hundredth posts (Maasdam on post 100, Westie on 200). Well, I blew through 300 a couple months ago, and I don't feel like spamming 39 posts to get to 400, so we'll just let that die.

Anyway, I just snap-booked a CAN/NE cruise on Veendam for July 18. This will be my first return to that area (by ship, anyway) since Y2K, and my first trip on Veendam since The Great Defacement, or whatever they called it when they spoiled the aesthetics of the rear end. I had been on Veendam twice before that, and I really liked the interior decor at that time (early 00's) - it was much more restrained than Maasdam, which had a glitzy Vegas-like thing going on in those days (toned down quite a bit since then).

So funny story; I had originally blocked out that week in anticipation of sailing Ryndam in Norway, but the confounded airfare was costing me more than the cruise. Call me cheap (my dad sure does), but I just couldn't stomach paying more money to sit on a plane for a few hours than to live on a ship for a few days. C'est la vie.

Then it occured to me that for about half the price, I could spend the same seven days on almost the same ship with negligible travel costs (I already live in the Northeast, and have family in Boston). Bob's yer uncle, as they say, and here I am.

So, dear readers of Cruise Critic, you have about a month to gird up the strength to face another of my always-wordy, sometimes-tiresome, and occasionally-amusing (or so I flatter myself by thinking) trip reports. Ye be warned. :)

I do, and will probably continue to regret not having had the opportunity to see off the Ryndam before she goes to P&O/A. Hopefully she will have much success and win many friends in DownUnderLand. But silver linings and all that; I now have the opportunity to do the Norway thing next year on the KingKongsdam, or whatever that big thing is called. ;)

I'll be watching your "Trip Report". We are booked on the same cruise and ship Next May. It will be our first cruise on one of HAL's older and smaller ships.

Looking for forward to your reports of your upcoming Veendam cruise as my wife and I are taking the same trip. No responses to a roll call blog! If anyone is interested you can dig it out of Veendam roll calls with some work. Have an excellent time on your cruise.

Looking for forward to your reports of your upcoming Veendam cruise as my wife and I are taking the same trip. No responses to a roll call blog! If anyone is interested you can dig it out of Veendam roll calls with some work. Have an excellent time on your cruise.

I posted in the Roll Call thread earlier. It did seem rather short.