Chair Hogs

SchoolBob

Last week on the Sun Princess there were actually crew members stationed around the pool removing the towels and books from chairs that were not used within 15 minutes. How refreshing it was to actually be able to sit in a lounge for a change. It ticked off some people, but the majority were thrilled that they are now enforcing the 'no saving of pool chair' rules.

[img]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tier/smilie_hund1.gif[/img]
Tahitian October 14th,2004

What was even funnier was the people who were forced to stay in their loungers when they really wanted to do something else.. for a fear of losing them. All they had to do was go do their other activity..10 chances to 1 there would be a couple of chairs when they returned. Miseralbe with the chair thinking they would be misable without the chairs...

March 30, 2004 Sun Princess

"Why, no, this isn't [I]your[/I] chair. It's after 2 p.m., so [I]your[/I] chair is in the fourth-row-center of the Princess Theater with your sweater and Princess Patter holding your place for the 8 p.m. show."

[b]"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise." [/b]
-- [i]Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'[/i]

The same thread went out a while ago on saving of chairs in the theatre, you know 2 people from a group of 11 doing the "stretch".

When we seated ourselves we were told "those are saved". I replied "that was not possible as we sailed the previous cruise also, that we had them saved from over a week ago, all they had to do was check with the seat-saving department at the purser's desk" The look was worth more than a cabin credit for a day at the spa.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04
Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98
Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02
Vision o.t. Seas 04/02
Star Princess 12/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
Vision o.t. Seas 10/02
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Is chair hogging primarily a problem on Princess or on all cruise lines? I've only sailed Princess. How come the hoggers never post to defend themselves???? If we all have the same opinion about chair hogging, why are there SO many chair hogs?

kc

It is a common issue on all lines except the ultra high end lines.

Why don't they defend themselves?

Because only the highest caliber cruisers are on cruise critic message boards [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It does stand to reason that people who do post also read and learn from it, people who chair hog or make other cruise faux pas are less likely to be here because they don't take the whole thing as seriously as we do.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04
Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98
Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02
Vision o.t. Seas 04/02
Star Princess 12/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
Vision o.t. Seas 10/02
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Guess those chair piggies are either non Cruise Critic members (how can that be!) or are toooooo ashamed to even try to defend their inconsiderate selves!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Adventure Martian Mania Madness!!!!

Chris
[email]MamaTene@aol.com[/email]

Does anyone have a name for the impatient boorish cruiser who doesn't wait to see if anyone is coming back and immediately jump into an "occupied" chair? I know it's rare but it happened to me last week. I was shocked. Here's what happened - I was occupying a lounger directly in front of the pool and had only my towel and not-inexpensive sunglasses with me. My other "stuff" was a row behind me with my DH and kids in a shady area (it would have gotten wet where I was-lots of splashing going on!). I literally got up for a minute, leaving my towel and sunglasses behind, and moved 6 feet away to cut my sons pizza and this guy comes along and tosses my towel and sunglasses on the deck and hops in the lounger. He nearly stepped on the glasses in his haste. I glanced over to tell him that the lounger was in use (by me) and he told me that since I wasn't in the chair, it was his. I was stunned for a moment but the nice lady that I was sitting next to had a few words for him!!!
He moved but made a fuss. The next day, he takes a lounger right in front of me on the non-smoking side of the pool and proceeeds to light up and flick his ashes directly into the wind so that blow right back on me!!! After he finishes his butt, he grinds it out right into the carpet!!! All this while eating sunflower seeds and tossing the shells about. At this point, I figure this guy is too crude to try to speak to so I just got up and moved.

Just had to share this experience. Sorry for rattling on.

QE2 - 2000
Grand Princess - 2002
Coral Princess - 2004

OKAY here is the funny thing. If a chair hog only puts a towel on the lounger.....HOW DO THEY KNOW IT WAS THEIR TOWEL.....LOL
Another way to confront the towel and sunglasses senario would be to put on the sunglasses, and lay on the towel....then see their reaction!!!!!!!!!

Rhapsody of the Seas "97"
GRAND Princess "98"

Till the Diamond
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I swear...the next time I cruise...I'm going to bring orange chalk.
I'll head to the pool around 9am and mark all of the held chairs with 0900 (military time) in big orange numbers..just like an abandoned car on the freeway.
Then I'll just grab a chair, a book and a drink..and hang around and watch the fun begin! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand
Sky Princess 03/2000 China
Royal Princess 02/2002 South America
Golden Princess 05/2003 Med
Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030[/img]

Actually....I've been very lucky..and have never had a situation where I couldn't find a deck chair....but I do love this topic!

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand

Sky Princess 03/2000 China

Royal Princess 02/2002 South America

Golden Princess 05/2003 Med

Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030

Crowsie, same here. I did not see any problems last week on the Grand. Altho we did stick to the Adult Pool Area (which is another topic)

What I am most interested in is someone above mentioned heated pools, our pools on the Grand were not heated and the first of the week they we as cold as ice-out in Maine. By Friday I managed to get myself wet (took 15 minutes to get down the stairs - brrrrrr.) What Princess ships have heated pools. No longer a Virgin Cruiser.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;4;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

First Cruisers - Grand Princess 4/4/04

On the Grand now. We went up to the pool at 8:30AM after breakfast and towels were on all the loungers near around the pool. There were only 4-6 people on deck. We waited for 20-30 minutes, then we removed towels from 2 loungers and put them om a table. 45 minutes later a couple comes up and says those two and the other two were their chairs. The husband had a coffee cup and said he just went down to get a cup and then the wife pipes up "well when we came up at 7AM everyone else was saving the chairs."(So they didn't even get there story straight). She proceeded to say how rude it was to take their seats and I told her that she should complain to the purser's office. Then she asked what we did with their towels and we showed her where they were. When we went to lunch we took all our stuff so someone else could have them. Don't feel guilty if you are sure that it is "hogged chair" to take the chair.

donna5, the so-called indoor pool is warm also. What I am looking for on my next cruise is a ship with heated pools. One of the staff said the Grand class ships did not heat the pools. I put that in my comments that the Adult Pool should be heated, along with the fact that they should send someone to Coffee Making School. (LOL) So what ships have heated pools folks???

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Hey Patti63, sounds like the person your looking for could be me, My only question is if you where so offended by my actions why did'nt you get up and complain to someone that i was smoking in a non-smoking section. It wasnt like i was going to steal your chair again, I already had one, LOL. I guess its easier for you to complain about it here weeks later than to actually do sonmething about it.

Oh, BTW for the record it was pumpkin seeds not sunflower seeds

Dowser,

if indeed you were smoking in a non-smoking section...did it ever occur to you that we don't want to breathe your nasty smoke? Maybe you don't realize that some people have some health problems (asthma) that can be severely aggrivated by your second hand smoke. Thanks for being the considerate person you are.

Jennifer

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

9/11 Caribbean Princess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dowser307:

... the person your looking for could be me, My only question is if you where so offended by my actions why did'nt you get up and complain to someone that i was smoking in a non-smoking section. It wasnt like i was going to steal your chair again, I already had one, LOL. I guess its easier for you to complain about it here weeks later than to actually do sonmething about it.

Oh, BTW for the record it was pumpkin seeds not sunflower seeds<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're joking, right?

As I said, this crude, rude, foul mouthed, ill-bred, banana-hammock wearing moron wouldn't have cared what anyone had to say and it's likely that he may have gotten ugly in front of my kids (I actually did not care if he was smoking but he was flicking the ashes into the wind and ground the butt out into the carpet). Normally, I'd speak up but why should I have to? It's my vacation and I try to avoid conflicts on vacation. FYI - it was definately sunflower seed and he definately was NOT from AZ!

Have a nice day.

QE2 - 2000

Grand Princess - 2002

Coral Princess - 2004

On Celebrity Horizon this past January, I observed a woman berate her husband for putting on his shirt and losing his reserved chair in the shade. She literally had stuff on chairs in the sun and the shade so they could move back and forth at will.

The only time I have observed staff members moving towels etc., is when it rains or late in the day when most people have left the pool area.

Archived