Just how bad are the pickpockets in Rome, etc.?

I was wondering if there are many reports of pickpocketing in Rome? I've heard about the packs of teenage boys and gypsy children, but is it easy enough to avoid them if you keep a watchful eye? Is there any reason to carry a big umbrella to create some comfortable distance between you and them?

I plan to carry my shoulder bag diagonally across my chest and put combination locks on the zippers, but am curious, too, about the camera snatching problem- I do like to carry both my video camera and my still camera everywhere with me and it's a bit logistically difficult to keep concealing them in between the photos.

Are there any other areas that security is more of an issue- we'll be visiting Athens (with a taxi driver), Mykonos, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Santorini, Naples, Pompeii, Olympia, Corfu, Venice, Dubrovnik. I imagine Naples and Venice are nearly as bad as Rome?

Nina

Have had children try to pickpocket me in Rome...Not sucessfully ..and a man tried in Venice.

Naples can be very unsafe...

Best to:

Keep a watchful eye...

Don't take any valuables with you and only enough money for incidentals.

dont' ever wear valuable jewelry or watches... :)

I have also been the subject of a gang of pickpockets in Rome. It was a group of about six young women. One came up and started to touch my arm and try to distract me while the others surrounded me. I kept my hand on my wallet which was in my front pocket and did not allow my hand to be moved. They gave up the attempt after just a couple of minites after it became evident that I was not going to make it easy for them. Rome is just like any other large city. It has good and bad. Just use common sense and don't allow yourself to be placed in danger. Stay in the main tourist areas and don't wander to far off the beaten path. It's a beautiful city and worthy of your visit. So stop worrying! and enjoy yourself.

Tom

Well, after being mugged on the Copacabana beach (we had been on the beach all of 5 minutes) in Rio just after sunset in a nice touristy area, directly across the street from our hotel and our dinner restaurant, I'm not anxious to repeat that experience...

Pickpockets I can probably guard against somewhat, as I'm well used to traveling in cities all over the world, but camera snatching and being physically assaulted by thugs is a different matter.

What do you think about carrying an umbrella to swat such groups of thieves away when they get too close?

Nina

Of stories Ive heard from many sources, Rome Italy and Manilla Philippines have some of the worst pickpocketting. Often times they work in pairs, distracting etc. Also, sometimes they will use a box-cutter kind of knife that is set for the thickness of fabric for a pants pocket. These guys are professional !

A friend of mine used to place a "phony" wallet in his pants pocket and would hide his real wallet in a money belt or inner not-so-accessible pocket. This is when he was working in South America. Inside the money area of the phony wallet, he placed a paper that said "Sorry" both in English and Spanish.

NDRB, Like you I like to keep my camera with me and ready to shoot while I am sightseeing. When in Rome and elsewhere on our recent Med cruise, I kept the camera's strap around my wrist at all times so it could not be snatched out of my hand. I believe the pickpockets are looking for quick opportunity. They don't want to fight you for your camera - there are enough easier targets in the crowd. And I suspect they want money more than they want cameras. Just make sure that while you are actually taking photos you aren't so distracted that you leave your purse or wallet vulnerable. I carried my cash (only what I needed for that day) and credit card in an inexpensive cloth pouch under my clothes.

I don't think an umbrella is necessary. It's just something else to carry, and if you keep your valuables inaccessable so no one can grab them and run, they will likely move on to someone else.

You might want to re-think taking both the video and still camera. I feel safer when I am not burdened by things I have to carry. But if you really want to take both cameras, use common sense. Use the straps, be aware of your surroundings at all times, and be immediately suspicious of any distractions.

I had read that the subways and buses in Rome, particularly those frequented by tourists, are favorite working sites for the pickpockets. For that reason, and for ease and simplicity, we used taxis for transportation and considered it money will spent.

Have a wonderful cruise. We visited some of the ports you will be visiting, and I expect you will have an wonderful time.

As long as you conceal anything that hold money--wallets, fanny packs, purses. The best thing are those money holders that you put on under your clothes at the waist or around your ankle (if you are wearing pants). Don't carry any valuables. In fact, we just carried a credit card and a very small amount of cash when we were there. Our camera was strapped to our hand and that was about it. Stay very low key.

The kids are pretty aggressive and it was a sight to see. Just be wary of locals that agressively approach you.

We were there in August and had no problems with pick-pocketers...maybe they all went on vacation like the rest of Europe. My Mom even mentioned that she was disappointed in not seeing gypsies.

I just always tried to keep a hand on my messenger-style bag and would put the wrist strap of my camera around my wrist. I would put two hands on my bag if I noticed that we were in a really crowded area. My husband would normally wear a money belt or put some cash (not a lot) in a buttoned pocket of his cargo pants.

Just be aware of your surroundings and vigilant about it.

I was wondering if there are many reports of pickpocketing in Rome? I've heard about the packs of teenage boys and gypsy children, but is it easy enough to avoid them if you keep a watchful eye? Is there any reason to carry a big umbrella to create some comfortable distance between you and them?

I plan to carry my shoulder bag diagonally across my chest and put combination locks on the zippers, but am curious, too, about the camera snatching problem- I do like to carry both my video camera and my still camera everywhere with me and it's a bit logistically difficult to keep concealing them in between the photos.

Are there any other areas that security is more of an issue- we'll be visiting Athens (with a taxi driver), Mykonos, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Santorini, Naples, Pompeii, Olympia, Corfu, Venice, Dubrovnik. I imagine Naples and Venice are nearly as bad as Rome?

Nina

We travel to Europe every year and if you use your head and keep an eye on your stuff you will be fine. My Husband uses a neck wallet that he wears under his shirt and I carry a very small shoulder bag. Be aware of the people around you, don't let anyone invade your space, they are probably up to no good. We have traveled to all the cities that you are going to except Dubrovnik and never had a problem, I hope the same for you. Lorelle

We were in Rome in June for 4 days and stopped for a day in most of the ports you mentioned and never had a problem. Maybe we were lucky but that said, we do take precautions i.e., don't wear jewelry except for an inexpensive watch, hold onto my SLR camera tightly when taking photos then it goes in my sportsac, always aware of our surroundings. As far as Venice goes... we were there for almost a week and felt very safe, on land and the vaporettos... again taking precautions.

Sandy

I am also concerned just like the OP is, but for different reasons.I will always have to carry some sort of bag that will hold a glucose meter as well as some rapid acting glucose tablets/gel or juice box since I am a diabetic. My worst fear is having the bag stolen with these essential items. I always bring a spare meter with me when I travel, but don't want to be stranded without an immediate source of glucose when we are away from our hotel or the ship.Can anyone recommend a really safe bag that cannot be cut on the strap and that may also have a reinforced bottom that is also knife proof? I do plan on wearing a neck or waist pouch for money and credit cards.

Thanks

Well, after being mugged on the Copacabana beach (we had been on the beach all of 5 minutes) in Rio just after sunset in a nice touristy area, directly across the street from our hotel and our dinner restaurant, I'm not anxious to repeat that experience...

Pickpockets I can probably guard against somewhat, as I'm well used to traveling in cities all over the world, but camera snatching and being physically assaulted by thugs is a different matter.

What do you think about carrying an umbrella to swat such groups of thieves away when they get too close?

Nina

I don't blame you for being nervous. Remember, the theives DON'T want to draw attention to themselves, so there will likely be little physical assaulting. They're sneaky.

We encountered a group of gypsies in Florence. Their favorite ploy is to talk loudly as they are walking through a crowd to distract you so the others can quietly get your stuff.

Our Sicilian friend, Tony, says to stare them down, and look serious about it. They will avoid you.

Leave space around you in a crowd, don't crowd up on escalators, because causing a pile up at the bottom is another ploy.

Stand back from the curb at a corner. That discourages drive-by snatching.

Just be aware of the people around you.

I wear a neck purse under my clothes, and keep our money and credit cards in it. I put it inside my bra, so if anyone cuts the cord, it goes nowhere.

Now, relax and enjoy your trip. You're getting a lot of good advice in this thread!

Thanks for all the excellent feedback, everyone.. I did buy one of those vests (safari style?) with all the pockets inside and out. I think I may try to skip even carrying a bag (my two cameras will be enough of a liability) and tuck everything valuable inside the vest and even use saftey pins to help secure the zippers.

I'm certainly not going to win any fashion awards with this vest (oh well!) and I anticipate being very hot in it in early June in Rome, but.... (The dang thing even has elastic pockets in the side for a water bottle- what a splendid fashion statement I will be!!!!)

As long as we don't have to worry too much about someone cornering us and demanding our money from us...

Nina

Nina,

We have just returned and the best advice I can give is to just be sensible. Don't stick out like a tourist. Don't carry many valuables at all with you and just be aware of anything going on around you.

If anyone comes near you begging, just put up your hand palm facing them and shake your head. That's what the locals do.

The only time we saw anything was in Barcelona when we saw a man in the process of picking someones pocket. I pushed between them and literally got in his way. The blokes wallet was so on show that you'd think it was a set up and he was trying to attract attention, but he seemed surprised when I told him that he had nearly lost his wallet.

We have traveled to many major European cities and have been told when arriving at each: London, Berlin, Madrid, Rome, etc. - - that each was the WORST city in Europe for pickpocketers. Living near a large city, we are used to traveling "on alert":

- leave expensive jewelry at home (only wear a cheap watch)

- my husband carries money, cc's, passports in a neck wallet - tucked inside his shirt far enough down to tuck inside the top of his pants.

- I carry a small shoulder bag worn across by body with one had on it at all times. I only carry non-valuables in it: kleenex, sunscreen, mints, guidebook, map, etc.

- My husband carries his video camera around his neck with at least one hand on the camera itself at all times

- I carry a small digital camera in my hand with the strap wrapped firmly around my wrist.

Luckily so far, we have never had anyone even bump us. We have seen gypsies, but none have ever come close enough that we felt uncomfortable.

Then again, we go to Mardi Gras every year . . . so we travel in Europe like we go to Mardi Gras.

Even though this sounds like a lot to think about, after you do it a few times, it becomes 2nd nature when traveling: Europe or anywhere lots of tourists gather.

Relax and enjoy!!!

A quick and easy thing to do to protect your valuables is to put passport, cc or cash down in your pocket then "close" the pocket from the inside by use of safety pins. You can't even get your own hand into your pockets but need to open your pants and unpin them. Not very glamourous, but very safe. You could always carry a little spending money in your bag or other pockets.

Can anyone recommend a really safe bag that cannot be cut on the strap and that may also have a reinforced bottom that is also knife proof? I do plan on wearing a neck or waist pouch for money and credit cards.

Thanks

Magellans.com (they sell travel clothes, luggage, accessories, etc.) has a pocketbook with hidden steel cable sewn into the strap so that it can't be cut with a knife. They may have more than one design, but here's the one I have:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Wallets__Purses___Totes___PursesLB515?Args=

It also has a clip thing inside you can attach to the zipper which makes it difficult for someone to try to slip their hand into the bag without your noticing.

I am also concerned just like the OP is, but for different reasons.I will always have to carry some sort of bag that will hold a glucose meter as well as some rapid acting glucose tablets/gel or juice box since I am a diabetic. My worst fear is having the bag stolen with these essential items. I always bring a spare meter with me when I travel, but don't want to be stranded without an immediate source of glucose when we are away from our hotel or the ship.Can anyone recommend a really safe bag that cannot be cut on the strap and that may also have a reinforced bottom that is also knife proof? I do plan on wearing a neck or waist pouch for money and credit cards.

Thanks

The pacsafe wallet that hands around your neck or the waist pack should work fine for a meter. They have steel reinforced cords to prevent them from being cut and are actually quite comfortable. We bought two of them (around $14.00 each on ebay with free shipping. Wore mine around with a few essentials to get the feel and forgot it was even there!!

• 1 month later...

We were just there a couple of weeks ago and witnessed 3 young boys (10 yrs old or so) try and take a womans purse. One of them distracted the woman by trying to sell her a cheap trinket while the other one sort of blocked her view. The third one went for her purse but her companion was on to them and grabbed it before they could get it.

Have to keep your eyes open.

NB.

BTW, Dont worry about looking like a tourist, it is a city full of tourists.

We were VERY aware of our belongings and valuables oon our recent Med. Cruise (Oct. 22 sailing). We being two young females in Spain, France, and Italy.

I felt the most 'unsafe' in Barcelona and Florence where I saw gypies and pickpockets. In Barcelona there are a lot of women holding babies and clanging coins in a cup. One worked the line at Sagrada Familia- she invaded my personal space and I could smell her breath. I shook my head and she moved on. The next day a lady snuck up on us in the Gothic quarter and attempted to pin a carnation flower on my friend's shirt. We got away from her, but watched her sneak up on some Japanese men. We watched as she slipped the short stemmed flower in the gentleman's front pocket. Her fingers dipped pretty low in his pocket- don't know if she got some loose bills.

Our tour guide in Florence warned us about thiefs that dress like tourists. In fact, he saw a couple at the Duomo he recognized as thiefs and pointed them out- a brief, heated Italian conversation occurred bwtn them and our guide after he singled them out.

I didn't see any others . . . I felt safe in our French ports, Rome and Sorrento.

Archived