Newbie from the USA/ Dream

Have booked a cruise on the Dream on 9/26. the process was difficult and now have to check in. will be traveling solo and know not a thing about Thomson. I am perusing this site and have learned some things. Please, is there an all things Thomson post? I will fly in from Madrid; how difficult or easy it it to get to the ship from the airport? Gad, I pray the single rooms aren't as bad as I've read, and yes the price was a premium. Any information will be greatly appreciated. :)

Welcome to Thomsons.You will love The Dream.

There is a post about 'things I wish I had known' with lots of tips and helpful info- I will bounce it up the board for you in a mo.

Edited by Flopsy

The journey from Palma Airport to the ship in Palma Marina is about 20 minutes.But the ship doesn't sail till 23.00 hours so you will have plenty of time to get there.

On arrival at the port you will join a queue to register you credit/debit card,get your photo taken for your boarding pass, and be issued with your boarding pass (credit card size) which is used to board, to disembark, and for all purchases on board as it is a cashless ship.

You get a list of all purchases about halfway through the week (delivered to your cabin), and another the night before you leave.

On the night before you leave you put your case outside your cabin as you go to bed and it gets taken to the dockside.On the last day you have to vacate the cabin by 8am but you leave the ship when you like.

Sorry I have no experience of single cabins.

Any more specific queries?

Thanks Flopsy for the thread.

Tell me about room service; is there a charge or gratis? Anyone have a menu? I gather that there is an electrical plug in the room with US standard.

Can I bring a bottle of wine on when boarding in Palma?

Will the Maître D place me at a singles table? Is it possible to get set seating?

Will think of more as time goes by.

yes there is a charge for room service (menu below)

the maitre d will probably seat you with others (maybe other singles) if you want a single table they will try to accommodate you but you may have to wait until one becomes vacant

it is open dining (breakfast/lunch/dinner) the dining room is open between about 6.30 & 10.30 for dinner except for formal night when it will be set dining (6.30 or 8.30pm) the steward will deliver your invite showing your sitting to you cabin (you can change the time at the maitre d’s desk if you wish)

there will be a singles meet arranged by the social hostess usually on the first day (announced in the cruise newsletter)

yes you can take alcohol on board for consumption in your cabin (there is a fridge in the cabin)

hope this helps

Edited by geomagot

will also add.....

if you need to use your in cabin safe there is a charge

if you are on the drinks package....there will be supplements for branded drinks (including for bottled water)

of not on the drinks package... drinks are generally good value (compared to p&o)

late checkout cabin.... theres a charge

guarantee a seat in the theatre...they charge for that too

wifi... v expensive and sloooo

shorex are good value (compared to p&o)

free tea/coffee iced water from the dispensers in the buffet restaurants and free fruit juice (from the dispensers) at breakfast (also ice cream... if they remember to refill the machines)

Edited by geomagot

The main dining room is open for breakfast if you prefer waiter service - it also has self service buffet for those so inclined.

We much prefer it to the DIY cafeteria in the morning - you actually get proper tea brewed in the pot, the way it should be, none of that horrible dunking teabags in hot(ish) water and mashing with a wooden stirring device. :D

Just to add that, yes, there is a charge to keep a late check out cabin for your own exclusive use. But if you just want to freshen up before leaving the ship on the last day you can book a 15min slot in a courtesty cabin- which is free.

There are some seats in the theatre which you can book but these are usually booked by groups who want to guarantee to sit together and the cost includes a drink. Over 95% of the seats are not bookable and as long as you arrive early I suggest that you won't have any problem finding a seat- there are quite a few single seats at end of rows.

Hi, I've been solo on the Dream twice.

Single cabins are fine - not amazing, but I don't spend much time in there anyway.

You'll probably get a letter inviting you to the singles lunch on the first day ( usually sea day ). I don't always bother going, but I've been to well attended lunches and ones where hardly anyone shows up. I think it depends how lucky you are.

You could ask for a table for one on the Dream in the MDR, or they may ask if you'd like to share, in which case it tends to be with the couples/families arriving for dinner at the same time. Don't get too hung up about being on your own - I've met lots of great people this way, some I'm still in touch with.

I love the shows - personally I think the entertainment is the best bit - so I tend to go early and pick a good seat, but it's often easier finding a seat for 1.

Expect the passengers and entertainment to be mainly British, but I've yet to go on a cruise where I haven't met lots of nice people, whether at diner, on excursions or in the theatres or bars.

Hope you have a great time.

Saltshell - a few important money matters you might want to investigate.

Your onboard account will be charged in £ Sterling (no surprise there) and there is a 2.5% fee for credit card use. Many Brits use debit cards to avoid this surcharge - but I suspect you may not have that option.

According to this, from Thomsons website, they do not accept cards issued outwith the UK.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/credit-card-payments.html

They list American Express as accepted, so I'm wondering if these rules only apply to bookings etc. made on their UK website and at UK travel agents ?

Can't understand why they would not accept an American issued credit card onboard :confused:

As for currency, if you settle in $ US or Euros you'll get a lousy exchange rate on the ship.

You can pay in £ Sterling currency - but that's not going to be convenient for you - and you have to deposit £200 on boarding to activate your account.

Hoping you resolve this potential problem to your satisfaction.

My wife is American and we have been on The Dream on three occasions. My daughter is a dual national and she has sailed alone on another Thomson ship. We think the differences you can expect are:

• Less hype and a more grass roots kind of atmosphere.
  • Americans are much better tippers than us Brits but the waiters and waitresses really are not expecting any tips and nor are the entertainers. You can request a song without buying the singer a drink. If you want to leave someone a tip at the end of your cruise you can and it will be genuinely appreciated but not expected.
  • Cream teas in the afternoon are a British tradition that an American may not be familiar with and are worth a try. I know this might sound silly but just in case you weren't aware, they don't put cream in the tea but serve ordinary tea with scones that have cream and jam (jelly) in them.
  • If you want an American style breakfast mixing bacon with pancakes and syrup then the best thing to do is get waiter service for breakfast but you will need to explain your requirements carefully. If you ask for biscuits and gravy you will cause massive confusion and they won't know what a sausage patty is. If you are from the Southland they won't know what grits are either.
  • One night of the week there will be a UK comedian. They vary in quality form the offensive to the barely funny to the excellent. Some of their material you won't understand however good they are because of the British cultural references. But you will get some of it. I was once sat with a Norwegian man who spoke English as his second language and did not always get all the jokes but he got most of them and thoroughly enjoyed those.
  • The British passengers will be friendly so don't feel that you are intruding if you share a table at dinner. My daughter dined with couples every night on her cruise and it was just fine. To be frank, most of the passengers have been married to each other for a long time and some of them ran out of things to talk about years ago. British people are often fascinated by Americans so it is likely they will really appreciate your company at dinner. As a couple we have dined with solo travellers and had a very enjoyable conversation at dinner.
  • Most (though not all) of the passengers will have good manners but if you have not mixed with a ship full of Brits before you might find that they are less formal than you were expecting. Someone once described Thomson as "crusing for the working class" and there is some truth in that. You will meet ordinary Brits who bear little resemblance to the caricatures often portrayed in US movies and TV.
  • Americans are notoriously poor at coping with some British accents. We don't all talk like the cast of Downton Abbey. You will encounter a range of regional accents. Americans seem to have most difficulty in coping with the Liverpool accent, the Northeast (Geordie) accent and a number of Scots accents. Americans seem to do better with Welsh accents and those of the south west of England and East Anglia. My wife has lived in the UK for thirty years and still struggles with some of the stronger Scots accents. There is not much you can do about that except to apologise for not being much use with British regional accents and ask them to repeat what they have said.
  • American cruise ships have a reputation for being very slick and professional but with fairly boring food. The food on the Dream will not be boring though it may not all be what you are used to. Be adventurous and give it a try.
  • The crew will be very friendly, quite informal and may even be a bit cheeky and pull your leg. In some cases they become more than just drinks waiters and become people you can have a conversation with.
  • Go to the crew talent show. If Jeffrey is still on board and doing his drag act you will cry with laughter.

I have probably missed out something important but I hope this helps.

Red Scorpion, what a great article you have written. Now I am Scottish as is my husband, both from Edinburgh but people can understand him but not always me cause I speak fast. Not all American accents can be understood too. We were in Boston last year and they spoke far too quickly for us to understand. I could understand New Yorkers so it depends again on what part of the country you come from. But I enyoyued reading your contribution. Spot on.

You can get both pancakes (with syrup) and bacon at the breakfast buffet in the Lido, deck 11. There is a pancake station! [emoji3]

People say the Inverness accent is the nicest local accent in Scotland. They speak very softly and clearly.

Now, what do I do about money on board? I only have US credit cards. Can I pre-pay with one of those? Is getting pounds sterling my only option? If so is there anyplace in Madrid or Palma to get these?

All of you information has been very useful; you are all so helpful. thanks, ever so much.

Now, what do I do about money on board? I only have US credit cards. Can I pre-pay with one of those? Is getting pounds sterling my only option? If so is there anyplace in Madrid or Palma to get these?

All of you information has been very useful; you are all so helpful. thanks, ever so much.

You have plenty of time, but you'll need to contact Thomsons direct and ask specific questions - when you email them be very clear on your situation so as they understand the issue.

contactus@thomson-cruises.co.uk

You won't need Pounds if your credit cards are accepted - and I can't think why they should not be.

In fact, that is really the only issue - will they take a credit card onboard which has been issued by an American bank ?

The irony of them not taking an American Express card would be unbelievable - however Thomsons never fail to surprise us.

BTW - I may have mislead you on the £200 cash deposit when joining the ship. That only applies to clients who do not (or cannot) register a credit or debit card to activate their onboard account. Apologies.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a difficult time reaching the office by email; they haven't answered numerous queries. I finally bought an extended cell phone plan and phoned them. They informed me that they received no emails. They said they would email boarding forms; I don't trust it. I plan to write to them via snail mail and ask for forms to be posted. I have the phone plan until the end of the month; I will re phone, but they don't appear to be very responsive. Any ideas?

they are v busy over at thoms hq (probably focussing on repatriations from tunisia & rearranging peoples holidays) we are all being kept on hold for a long time at the moment.....give it a bit of extra time they will probably get back to you

personally i dont trust snail letters... keep on emailing or try a pm on their f/b site

https://www.facebook.com/ThomsonCruises?fref=ts

have you tried logging into your personalised 'my thomson' manage your booking page? you should be able to print off boarding cards etc from there however... their website is notoriously clunky…. and I believe it doesn’t work at all if you booked through a travel agent?

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/mythomson-guided-tour.html

https://my.thomson.co.uk/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f

https://flightextras.thomson.co.uk/

Spoke with the cruise office this morning. they said that they can't post me my paperwork and will immediately e-mail. I have yet to get the mail. ): Thye also said that they can't answer about the on board deposit. Will they take cash?

There is no one on the roll call: I opened one up. I hope I'm not alone on this ship!

Thye also said that they can't answer about the on board deposit.

That is simply unbelievable. :eek:

What kind of business can't advise a paying customer how they can settle a debt ?

Maybe the question was too difficult ? :confused:

Yes, they will take cash - Sterling is your preferred option if all else fails.

Otherwise they give you a lousy exchange rate on other currencies.

Edited by WeeCountyMan