An Alaskan adventure we won't soon forget - cruise and land tour - June 25 - July 7

jmele999

Day 6 - Behind-the-scene tour

My favorite place on the tour. I offered to keep an eye on the wine, but they graciously denied my request.

IMG_1210_zpsv4u2msaf.jpg

We also got a chance to see the room of a crew member. Most crew members share a room with 3 - 5 other people. This is a single room.

IMG_1193_zps5xz306hr.jpg

The crew members' mess hall and lounge. Crew members are allowed to drink onboard ($1 for beer or wine), but no hard liquor is served in the crew lounge.

IMG_1212_zpswwclchaz.jpg

IMG_1213_zpsjltheis2.jpg

Day 6 - Arriving in Ketchikan

After the tour, we met up with the rest of our group for lunch by the pool. We also enjoyed the drink of the day - Stars and Stripes - half pina colada and half strawberry daiquiri, topped with blue curacao. It was very tasty and refreshing.

IMG_1231_zpsr9eons6e.jpg

We arrived in Ketchikan shortly before 1:00 pm and spent a few minutes enjoying the parade and scenery from our balcony.

IMG_1233_zps1kn07nys.jpg

IMG_1235_zpse1yqyehu.jpg

IMG_1232_zpsnch7pg0l.jpg

IMG_1234_zpssst7oth6.jpg

IMG_4067_zpsfjk63grf.jpg

Day 6 - Ketchikan - The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show

The only excursion that we decided to book for Ketchikan was The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. We booked it through the ship ($35 per person), but you can also book it online. However, don't wait to book it when you get there as our show was almost sold out. The location for the show is two blocks from the ship and it is very easy to find.

IMG_1260_zpsvyjnxg7o.jpg

The show started at 1:45 pm and as the name suggests it is based on lumberjack-style competitions between two teams:

The Canadian team

IMG_1241_zpsyn9uddrq.jpg

And the American team

IMG_1242_zpsqhwvpboe.jpg

The teams competed in a variety of events as shown below

IMG_1243_zpsm8e27qsy.jpg

IMG_1246_zpsmlsyfpmn.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsjipwpiow.jpg

Day 6 - Ketchikan - Creek Street

After the show we walked around town and visited the world-famous Creek street.

IMG_0407_zps9d0jejq0.jpg

IMG_1265_zpscnvcvhpr.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsiygi3ype.jpg

Unfortunately, we did not get to see any salmon in the creek so you have to settle for the picture below.

IMG_1269_zpsinbs2ety.jpg

Ketchikan is not only the southeasternmost city in Alaska, but also the salmon capital of the world and as such we took advantage of the opportunity and not only enjoyed lots of free smoked salmon, but also purchased some canned salmon.

IMG_0408_zpso36za3xl.jpg

IMG_1275_zpsifjdwbyv.jpg

Day 6 - Ketchikan

Before the cruise, DP and I decided that we wanted to visit Totem Bright State Park, but unfortunately we did not get a chance to do it on this trip so here are some pictures from the Totem poles around town.

IMG_1262_zpskycbqa9c.jpg

IMG_1271_zpscvvl6c2m.jpg

IMG_4072_zpsyhlel5ib.jpg

After walking around, DP and I were thirsty so we decided to go to a bar and enjoy some of the local drinks. I had the Bloody Mary with jalapeño pepper-infused vodka and DP had a cider.

IMG_4070_zpsvhggwvs4.jpg?t=1437605337

Around 5:00 pm we decided to get back to the ship and for the last time board the beautiful Norwegian Sun (Day 7 is a sea day).

IMG_4071_zpsrveqkg7y.jpg

Day 6 - Goodbye Ketchikan

We enjoyed happy hour at the great outdoors with a great view of Ketchikan. DP and I left happy hour early to get ready for our dinner at Cagney's.

IMG_1281_zpswiphxmky.jpg

During dinner at Cagney's I had to excuse myself because I could not pass on the opportunity of a beautiful sunset picture.

IMG_2242_zpsbe9qmkg8.jpg

Dinner at Cagney's was as always great. The food was delicious and the service superb. I had the sea bass while DP had the filet mignon. The raspberry creme brûlée completed our meal.

IMG_1290_zpsp7avxikm.jpg

IMG_1291_zpsbkd4avf5.jpg

IMG_1294_zpsb1uinku8.jpg

By the time we made back to the cabin the sun was about to set over Ketchikan.

IMG_2271_zpsagrx5noe.jpg

Day 6 - Somewhere closer to Vancouver

We attended the 9:00 pm show that night showcasing high-energy performances by the Sun production cast. It was a great show, but the best part is the ending when they introduce the officers, staff and crew members. I always enjoy that part of the show.

IMG_3054_zpspvj46ut5.jpg

IMG_1303_zpstupeuoih.jpg

IMG_1286_zps98fcrypy.jpg

End of Day 6

As usually loving it all.

I have a question..The red onion saloon...I know it's set up kind of like a brothel in theme...are kids allowed in there at all? We will have our 10 year old in there and I want to walk in and take pictures. I don't want to drag her in if it's a little too risque.

As usually loving it all.

I have a question..The red onion saloon...I know it's set up kind of like a brothel in theme...are kids allowed in there at all? We will have our 10 year old in there and I want to walk in and take pictures. I don't want to drag her in if it's a little too risque.

It's not...took my 16 year old last month and it was fine. The girls dresses are "historic risque" so they are more clothed than typical teenagers are today! You daughter will probably get a kick out of going to a "saloon" with her parents!!!

It's not...took my 16 year old last month and it was fine. The girls dresses are "historic risque" so they are more clothed than typical teenagers are today! You daughter will probably get a kick out of going to a "saloon" with her parents!!!

I agree with FraudBroad. My only concern would be some of the paintings over the bar of half-naked women. I would suggest that you go inside before bringing her into the saloon.

Day 7 - At sea

Today was a very warm day and people started getting to the pool around 9:00 am. The pool deck was very busy all day.

IMG_4085_zpszrajj2op.jpg

The crew was busy preparing a special cookout for us including smoked salmon.

IMG_4082_zpskd6pbxdd.jpg

IMG_4081_zpsbbiejnme.jpg

IMG_4083_zpsildbpr69.jpg

And it wouldn't be a pool party without some drinks.

IMG_4086_zps8bhzgayv.jpg

We spent most of the afternoon around the pool either sleeping or just relaxing. It was a great day.

Day 7 - At sea

We also spent part of the afternoon in our balcony enjoying the beauty of the inside passage, followed by bingo, and the second Latitudes reception.

IMG_1311_zps5z4egzsw.jpg

IMG_1315_zpsyal7zgip.jpg

IMG_1320_zpsetwg18nt.jpg

After the Latitudes reception, which was held at 5:30 pm in the observation lounge, we all enjoyed our last dinner onboard at seven seas.

IMG_1324_zpsbz1fkkru.jpg

IMG_3061_zpsvkmk74dn.jpg

IMG_1329_zpskm8ewgnf.jpg

The dessert above is a coconut soufflé and it was not very good. I give NCL credit for trying to serve a soufflé in a main dinning room. The rest of the dinner was very good.

Edited by jmele999

Day - 7

One of the saddest moments of any cruise is when you have to look over the forms below.

Scan_zpsy8kpbjco.jpeg

Scan%201_zpsactfjmzo.jpeg

Scan%202_zps4xiezwmx.jpeg

Scan%203_zps56uuvexo.jpeg

We finished packing up and went to the farewell variety show in the Stardust theater, followed by the quest adult game show.

After quest we went to the champagne bar for our last drink onboard. A rum cake martini (see below) for me and a French raspberry martini for DP - a great way to end a cruise.

IMG_4100_zpsfgud69w1.jpg

Edited by jmele999

Day 7 - Good night from the Norwegian Sun

And here are the saddest pictures of our trip.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...psrj9bsyb7.jpg

Aww, sad indeed. Thanks for the terrific review, it took me back to our trip in May. Nice to see you guys are still living the dream. :)

John (from the Jewel)

Edited by bluecartakesacruise

What time does embarkation start in Seward? I've never set sail so late in the day. Was it 9pm for you as well?

I think that you can board as early as 1:00 pm. We departed Seward shortly before 9:00 pm.

Day 7 - Good night from the Norwegian Sun

And here are the saddest pictures of our trip.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...psrj9bsyb7.jpg

Aww, sad indeed. Thanks for the terrific review, it took me back to our trip in May. Nice to see you guys are still living the dream. :)

John (from the Jewel)

Hi John,

Thanks for stopping back. I heard that you guys also had a great time on your Alaska cruise.

Johan

Hi - do you know what time you docked in Vancouver and what time people were able to start disembarking? Thanks.

We docked shortly before 7:00 am, and the first guests were allowed to disembark around 8:00 am.