An Alaskan adventure we won't soon forget - cruise and land tour - June 25 - July 7

jmele999

jmele999 thank you for this detailed story. You have answered so many of my questions and have given me ideas for things to do in ports we were unsure about.

We set sail on Sept 7 and I'm now excited even more to have this be our first trip with NCL

jmele999 thank you for this detailed story. You have answered so many of my questions and have given me ideas for things to do in ports we were unsure about.

We set sail on Sept 7 and I'm now excited even more to have this be our first trip with NCL

Thanks. I still need to review our day in Vancouver and some final thoughts about the cruise. Are you going north or south?

Thanks. I still need to review our day in Vancouver and some final thoughts about the cruise. Are you going north or south?

We are headed south. I'll look forward to the wrap up. We were in Vancouver last year on a Princes repo but stayed in Richmond and and loved the area and never made it to Vancouver the 2 days we were there. I'm hoping to explore it this year because I'm there 3 day because I have a ship inspection with another line later in the week we disembark.

Day 8 - Disembarkation and Vancouver

We arrived in Vancouver shortly before 7:00 am. It was cloudy and very smoky due to forest fires around the Vancouver area.

1295_zpsfbjgxiur.jpg

Canada place is a very nice pier.

1296_zpscpjo3ui8.jpg

The first guests were allowed off the ship around 8:00 am, but since we were not in a hurry to get off the ship, we enjoyed a relaxed breakfast at seven seas prior to disembarking.

We left the ship around 9:45 am and by 10:00 am we had already cleared customs and were waiting for a taxi outside the terminal. It was one of the fastest disembarkation we have ever experienced. However, we had to over 30 minutes for a taxi. So, if you have an early flight, I would suggest getting off the ship as soon as possible.

The ride to the hotel took only 10 minutes.

1298_zpsuo7r9yxy.jpg

Our room was very nice and near the elevators.

IMG_1380_zps2xepefvm.jpg

We also had a great view of BC place from our room. BC place is the stadium where the US women's soccer team had won the world cup the day before. I really like the overall look of the stadium and the lights at night.

1299_zpswdwnnkcl.jpg

1301_zpsorhnik1p.jpg

Day 8 - Vancouver city tour

We decided to use the hop-on, hop-off trolley as our mode of transportation to get a tour of the city. The cost of the trolley is $35 per person. You can get on and off as many times as you like.

IMG_3081_zpscj74hopq.jpg

Scan_zpszp4thcub.jpeg?t=1437868177

IMG_0430_zpsofmdd0xk.jpg

IMG_3078_zpsfa0xjvho.jpg

IMG_1356_zps5hrjbzfr.jpg

IMG_1354_zpspenqe3r8.jpg

IMG_1377_zpsry2dj6mr.jpg

We decided to get off at Canada Place to switch to the green trolley route.

IMG_0439_zpskcms9jfd.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsotyom2jw.jpg

Here is a picture showing how the re-fuel the ships at Canada place. Had never seen that before in any port.

IMG_1350_zpsdnsu4ttn.jpg

IMG_1353_zpsbazzniwj.jpg

There is even a gas station in the middle of the bay.

IMG_1352_zpsni51mkvy.jpg

We then got on the green route trolley heading towards the world-renowned Stanley Park. Along the way we saw the steam clock.

IMG_2295_zpsukjlufgj.jpg

IMG_0433_zpsrmeur4in.jpg

Here are some pictures taken in Stanley Park. The park is a must see attraction and I wish that we had spent more time at the park.

IMG_1358_zpslbanxsib.jpg

IMG_1361_zpsa1qwuekh.jpg

IMG_1367_zpscdubffob.jpg

IMG_1366_zpsjgimmohq.jpg

Day 8 - Vancouver

After the city tour we went back to the hotel to rest, followed by our last meal as a group. Can you tell by our dinner that we are not onboard the Norwegian Sun anymore?

1300_zpszwyqebrv.jpg

Shortly after dinner, two of our friends went to the airport to catch a red eye flight back to the East Coast. The rest of us went back to hotel to pack up and rest before our travel day.

Day 9 - Vancouver - Seattle - Charlotte - Baltimore

As suggested by the title, it was a very long travel day for DP and I. Got up at 5:00 am to catch a 6:30 am Bolt bus from Vancouver to Seattle. Our flight from Seattle to Charlotte left at 1:05 pm, and then got on the 09:55 pm flight from Charlotte to Baltimore. Finally made it home after midnight.

Next - Final thoughts about the cruise and land tour.

It's not...took my 16 year old last month and it was fine. The girls dresses are "historic risque" so they are more clothed than typical teenagers are today! You daughter will probably get a kick out of going to a "saloon" with her parents!!!

I agree with FraudBroad. My only concern would be some of the paintings over the bar of half-naked women. I would suggest that you go inside before bringing her into the saloon.

Thanks for that info.. I will try and pop in and check it out. I would send my husband in, but with half naked ladies on the wall....well he may never come back out and let us know. :eek:

Be still my heart....there is the Disney Wonder. If things were perfect...that is the ship we would be sailing to Alaska, but there were a few issues we had that made it harder for us to get to Vancouver over Seattle..plus when I booked the Wonder was practically sold out and not many options for rooms for the week we wanted to go.

We docked shortly before 7:00 am, and the first guests were allowed to disembark around 8:00 am.

Thank you for this information.

I have one other question. You mentioned that your friends Mr. and Mrs. W. and Mr. and Mrs. T took the train from Anchorage to Seward. Did they book the train themselves? Do you know if they dropped their bags off at the train depot in Anchorage and if they were transferred directly to the ship in Seward, or did they need to pick up their bags in Seward and transfer the bags themselves. I know when we traveled on the Radiance of the Seas a few years ago the bags were transferred directly from the train to the ship but not sure if things work differently on NCL. Thanks.

Thank you for this information.

I have one other question. You mentioned that your friends Mr. and Mrs. W. and Mr. and Mrs. T took the train from Anchorage to Seward. Did they book the train themselves? Do you know if they dropped their bags off at the train depot in Anchorage and if they were transferred directly to the ship in Seward, or did they need to pick up their bags in Seward and transfer the bags themselves. I know when we traveled on the Radiance of the Seas a few years ago the bags were transferred directly from the train to the ship but not sure if things work differently on NCL. Thanks.

There are two trains going to Seward. There is a 6:45 am train provided by the Alaska railroad company which will get you to Seward by 11:05 am. My friends took a 1:00 pm trains which departs from the airport. They were able to book that train directly on the NCL website ($99 per person). I believe their bags were transfered directly to the train.

Here is the description from the NCL website.

Embarkation Scenic Cruisetrain - Anchorage Airport to Seward Cruise Ship Terminal

Experience one of the most stunning, scenic train rides in North America aboard an Alaska Railroads glass-dome railcar from the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport to the Seward cruise ship dock.

Upon arrival at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, you’ll be greeted by staff and directed to the short enclosed walkway to the airport train depot. You’ll travel along the Coastal Classic Route on this 4 1/2 hour picturesque journey. Your train will skirt the edges of lovely Turnagain Arm, before veering into the mountainous backcountry for views of sprawling Spencer Glacier.

As your train climbs, Bartlett Glacier will come into view. After going through a series of mountain tunnels, you’ll pass Trail Glacier before descending through a mountain valley and skirting the turquoise waters of Kenai Lake. A bistro car offers snacks and beverages for purchase. The train arrives into Seward just steps from the cruise ship terminal.

Note: Participants flying-in day of sailing should book flights arriving into Anchorage no later than 11am in order to provide sufficient time for baggage claim, train check-in and possible flight delays. For participants already in Anchorage, please meet at the airport rail depot located at the Ted Stevens International Airport no later than 12 noon for train check-in.

This tour is only available for guests embarking the Norwegian Sun sailing out of Seward. Guests have the option to book their flights through our Premium Air Department to ensure that flight arrival times do not interfere with this transfer. Estimated arrival time into Seward will be around 6pm.

Overall impression and final thoughts

Itinerary - Land tour to Denali National Park - Anchorage - Seward - Icy Strait Point - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Vancouver. The trip of a lifetime. Grade: A+

The ship - The Sun is one of the smallest ships in the fleet, but it has everything you need for an enjoyable cruise. While it is in good shape, we still prefer the Jewel or even Dawn class ships. However, the intimate atmosphere of the ship is great for an Alaskan cruise. Grade: B+

Cabin - We were in a BD balcony cabin and were pleasantly surprised with the size of the room and the balcony. The cabin also has lots of storage. Our only complaint is the size of the shower and the problem with the shower curtain. NCL could easily fix this problem by installing a sliding door in the shower. Grade: B+

Crew - We really enjoyed the interaction with the crew members. They were always friendly and willing to help. One of the best crew we have had on all of our cruises. Grade: A

Entertainment - While we enjoyed the shows onboard, we felt that the production shows were not at the same level as what we had experienced on other NCL ships. The nightlife was just ok. Grade: B

Complementary restaurants - we typically do not eat in the MDRs; we enjoy the speciality restaurants. However, on this cruise we went to the complementary restaurants on four different occasions. Overall, we found the food to be good to very good. The service was very good to excellent depending on the restaurant and the time of the day. We would recommend seven seas over the four seasons. Grade: B+

Speciality restaurants - despite having to pay, we still find that the speciality restaurants are a good value considering the quality of the food, the attention to detail and the service. Grade: A

Le Bistro - The best meal we had onboard. Everyone in our party was impressed with the food and the service. Grade: A+

Cagney's - The service and the food were excellent. However, we are not sure if the cover charge ($30 pp) is justified considering that the filet at Le Bistro is better. Grade A-

La Cucina - Food was tasty and service was very good. Grade B+

Favorite day of the cruise - Juneau. We were initially concerned with the short time in port, but Mendenhall Glacier was great and cruising through the Fjords in the afternoon was a very memorable experience.

Least favorite port - Ketchikan. Nice city, but it is too commercial

This was one of our most enjoyable and relaxing cruises. Our visit to Denali National Park was a very memorable experience. Everyone should visit Alaska at least once in their lifetime. We definitely plan on visiting again. .

Overall Grade: A-

We say goodbye for now from Juneau, Alaska. Please join us on our next adventure as we spend a HAVENly week in January cruising to the Eastern Caribbean on NCL's newest ship - Escape.

IMG_1041_zps6x0x4eha.jpg

Happy sailings!

Johan and Brian

Johan, this was an awesome review. Very detailed and entertaining. Thank you for taking the time to post it. I had just gone to some of the same places on the Jewel a few months ago and recognized some of the places you talked about and posted pictures of. I am not as adventurous as you though, I don't think I could go to all the off-the-beaten-path places you went but I am glad that you enjoyed yourself. Alaska really is beautiful, isn't it?

Great review!

For the sake of comparison, here is the link to a review I did last year of the same cruise, but with NCL's Authentic Alaska land package at the beginning.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089424

(also has train from Anchorage to Fairbanks and Vancouver to Chicago)

Thank you! Was very excited to see the pictures and your write up of the Kantishna Experience. We are leaving in two weeks for a self planned land tour and cruise in Radiance of the Seas. We begin our time in Fairbanks and then head down to Denali via the train. We also have the Kantishna excursion booked and I was very thankful to see all your pictures. It sounds like we will actually be doing something in Kantishna. That is good to know. I was afraid it would just be 11 hours on the bus.

Your trip sounded great and just makes me that more excited to go!

Just wanted to echo the chorus of great kudos on an excellent trip report. We enjoyed not only the commentary, pictures, and insightful tips but particularly your inclusion of the food reviews which is one of our joys when we travel. We are looking forward to your trip report on your upcoming Baltic cruise as it is on our bucket list.

Like many of our members we are planners and independent travelers. We are headed to our 49th state twelve days in advance of the cruise and will focus entirely on the Kenai peninsula for its beauty, wildlife, fishing, a float trip on the Kenai river and a private trip in the Kenai fjords to include Aialik glacier.

For those Cruise Critic members doing independent travel prior to embarkation, we highly recommend The Milepost (available on Amazon), Alaska Toursaver book with lots of 2 for 1 coupons including the train from Anchorage. For those staying in Vancouver for two days or more, you can purchase trolley passes online with several discounted options.

Again Johan and Brian its people like you that make our trips more rewarding by shortening the planning process and giving the insights we need to determine the "best" things for us.

• 9 months later...