Pride of America - Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona/Missouri

Magscruise

Hi all. We are planning a trip to Hawaiian islands by way of pride of America. We are tentatively looking at a week that does not offer the std 4-day pre-cruise option. We'd like to do Pearl Harbor, etc (actually it's a must) before the cruise. I contacted the vendor that NCL uses, however, from my conversations with them, they are just subcontractors to another vendor.

I'd like to ensure I get this scheduled at the time of cruise booking since it is the only reason why we would flyin early. Can anyone recommend some non-NCL excursion companies where we can secure this part of our trip? Tentatively planning for late fall before thanksgiving. Thanks much.

Having been there several times, once on a cruse ship, why not rent a vehicle upon landing. The cost is minimal and you can drive there. Its easy to find, this way you can take in the entire island. You would have no problem doing PH and driving the island in one day, it a spectacular ride, not to be missed. Also, you can rent cars at most hotels in Honolulu so if you don't want to get one at the airport, you can get on at the hotel. You could also drop your vehicle anywhere in the island with no additional fee incurred.

If you go on line you can purchase your tickets to PH in advance so there is no waiting in line the day you go. Actually you pay a convenience fee as the tickets are free, but its only 1.50 per ticket. Well worth it, the lines to get in PH can be long depending on what time of year you go. PH is spectacular, I cannot image going to Oahu with out seeing it. It may just be my favorite monument the US has to offer. Been there 3 x and each time was just a moving.

Hope this idea sparks some interests. If you rent a vehicle, eat at the shrimp trucks on the east side of the island, they are food you will never forget and grab some shaved ice for desert, the very best as well.

Edited by coldinerie

Hi all. We are planning a trip to Hawaiian islands by way of pride of America. We are tentatively looking at a week that does not offer the std 4-day pre-cruise option. We'd like to do Pearl Harbor, etc (actually it's a must) before the cruise. I contacted the vendor that NCL uses, however, from my conversations with them, they are just subcontractors to another vendor.

I'd like to ensure I get this scheduled at the time of cruise booking since it is the only reason why we would flyin early. Can anyone recommend some non-NCL excursion companies where we can secure this part of our trip? Tentatively planning for late fall before thanksgiving. Thanks much.

Check out the Hawaii board in the Ports of Call section... lots of info on each of the islands. Also do a "google" search on Hawaii and order the FREE guides from the Hawaii Tourist Bureau. (click here)

It's difficult to make specific recommendations without knowing when you're planning to be there or what your interests are.

There are many options for Pearl Harbor tours. Just google it and you will probably see dozens of options. Roberts is one of the largest tour companies in the islands and does Pearl Harbor. We only flew in one day early, so we booked with them for the morning of the cruise. I believe it was 6 or 6.5 hours but did not include the Missouri. You need a full day to include that. I believe NCL offers the full day tour including the Missouri on Debarkation day. Your luggage goes with you from the ship and you are dropped at the airport or hotel after.

Having been there several times, once on a cruse ship, why not rent a vehicle upon landing. The cost is minimal and you can drive there. Its easy to find, this way you can take in the entire island. You would have no problem doing PH and driving the island in one day, it a spectacular ride, not to be missed. Also, you can rent cars at most hotels in Honolulu so if you don't want to get one at the airport, you can get on at the hotel. You could also drop your vehicle anywhere in the island with no additional fee incurred.

If you go on line you can purchase your tickets to PH in advance so there is no waiting in line the day you go. Actually you pay a convenience fee as the tickets are free, but its only 1.50 per ticket. Well worth it, the lines to get in PH can be long depending on what time of year you go. PH is spectacular, I cannot image going to Oahu with out seeing it. It may just be my favorite monument the US has to offer. Been there 3 x and each time was just a moving.

Hope this idea sparks some interests. If you rent a vehicle, eat at the shrimp trucks on the east side of the island, they are food you will never forget and grab some shaved ice for desert, the very best as well.

I agree. Please consider renting a vehicle when you arrive in Honolulu. Pearl Harbor is very close to the airport. Keeping the vehicle to explore the island (shrimp trucks!) is a good idea. Return it to airport and receive shuttle/taxi to port.

You can do it all on your own and many many people do that. My husband wanted to see a little more, so we booked a tour online with Hawaii Discount

We booked the Pearl Harbor Tours - WWII Pearl Harbor Heroes Adventure:

This is the most complete tour of Pearl Harbor!

Visit all the sights and attractions at this historical location, including the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, the USS Arizona Memorial, the USS Bowfin submarine, the USS Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum!

Upon arrival at Pearl Harbor, you’ll first spend some time at the Visitor Center and the exhibit galleries featuring a variety of World War II memorabilia. Here you’ll also get to see a 23-minute documentary showing footage of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

A Navy shuttle boat will then take you out to the Arizona Memorial.

The next stop is a guided tour on board one of the world’s most significant submarines, the USS Bowfin.

After that, you’ll board a shuttle to Ford Island, an active Navy base, where the Pacific Aviation Museum is located. See an authentic Japanese Zero Fighter Plane and visit the seaplane hangar that survived the December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Pearl Harbor tour culminates on the historic decks of the “Mighty Mo” – the USS Missouri – which served from World War II through Desert Storm. This is the site of the 1945 Japanese surrender to the Allies.

Tour Highlights

Pearl Harbor Visitor Center and exhibit galleries featuring WWII memorabilia

Watch the documentary at Pearl Harbor showing footage of the actual attack

Board the Navy shuttle boat for a ride across Pearl Harbor to the Arizona Memorial

See the “Black Tears” of oil that still bubble to the surface today from the USS Arizona

U.S. Pacific Submarine Memorial and USS Bowfin “Pearl Harbor Avenger” (Admission & Tour included)

Pacific Aviation Museum (Admission included, this portion is self-guided)*

USS Missouri, also known as the “Mighty Mo” (Admission & Tour included)

Walk in the footsteps of General Douglas MacArthur and stand on the Surrender Deck

Look into the massive 16" guns that hurl 2,900 pound projections over 20 miles with pin point accuracy

Hear the famous story where the USS Missouri sustained a serious attack off the coast of Okinawa in 1945

Historical narration by an expert state certified tour guide

We added: Gold Option Extras:

Hot Dog or Soup Bowl at the USS Bowfin food vendor

Audio tours for the Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri and USS Bowfin

Commemorative Pearl Harbor postcard set

A December 7, 1941 newspaper reprint

I can let you know whether it was worth the money after next Wednesday :)

Edited by Imalismom

We reserved our tickets for 8am for later this week. We plan to do the Arizona Memorial and head over to see the USS Missouri as soon as that tour ends. From there, we are going to do Diamond Head and then explore Waikiki.

It should be assumed you either have a car or are taking a cab.

For others, with the 7pm port time in Honolulu, doing Pearl Harbor embarkation day- is easy.

Get your permits- absolutely necessary, this be done- first.

IF you are renting a car, and haven't been to Honolulu before, driving here can be very challenging for some people. A LOT of traffic and not the most direct way around with a lot of similar looking street names. Allow extra time.

Frankly- Diamond Head, should have been first, it's a grueling climb later in the day, always superior early morning.

Pearl harbor is darn easy with The Bus, but you need to add plenty of time. You can have long waits for buses, and they stop frequently, adding more time.

Thank you sooo much everyone!

coldinerie: thanks for planting that seed to consider renting a car. Guess it's easy to get caught up in the excursion maze.

Imalismom - thanks for that write Up! DH is the resident history buff so I'll check with him on how much he wants to do. He just reminds me that r&or means relaxing and not running around everywhere! Lol

Notion of the ocean - please come back to this thread after you return and let me/us know how the early morning timeframe worked out. We're coming in from east coast so we'll prolly be up and about while most of Hawaii is still sleeping.

Budget queen - what/which permits??:confused: thanks much

The complete Pearl Harbor tour sounds like something my husband would enjoy. Would love to hear if it was worth the money

We did the complete tour and felt it was worth the money. We chose to tour PH the day we disembarked from the POA. The only thing we regret is not having extra time that day! By the time we got off the ship, took a cab to the airport car rental and secured our vehicle, we lost the first couple of hours in the day. We toured the PH grounds, Bowfin submarine, the Arizona, and the Pacific Aviation Museum. By the time we arrived on Ford Island where the Missouri and Aviation museum is located, we had only enough time to tour one of the two. We chose the aviation museum. No regrets, other than missing out on the Missouri!!

I believe another option would be to do it on debarkation day through NCL. I realize it is a little pricey, but a lot easier than messing with car rental pick ups and returns, taxis, lugguage, driving(maybe getting lost) when already short on time. Looked into this as well, but decided to stay a few nights on Oahu in a hotel since we don't get any time on the island. I believe NCL keeps your luggage for you during the excursion before taking you to the airport. I am sure someone will correct me if wrong.

NCL Website said Please Note: This tour is offered for guests with flights after 6:00 pm and drops-off at the airport only. Guests are responsible for ensuring their debarkation tours are compatible with their flight departure times. Guests have the option to book their flights through our Premium Air Department to ensure that flight departure times do not interfere with debark tours.

Edited by ollychelle

Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring cameras, cell phones, and wallets, although since no bags are allowed, you are encouraged to pack lightly

A storage facility operated by the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park is available in the immediate area of the entrance to the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. There is a nominal storage fee of $3 per bag. The storage facility is in operation daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage and parking stall for visits to all Pearl Harbor Historic Sites

It looks like we will have a full day to kill after we disembark POA before our evening flight. NCLs Pearl harbor tour looks like a good option for the day. The Bowfin is a MUST for us. I need to be sure that we will have time on NCLs tour to get over to the Bowfin. Can anyone that has been on the NCL Pearl Harbor post-cruise tour assure me that I will have time to tour the Bowfin?