Just back from SS Catherine

caviargal

Will be completing my review soon but am happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

We enjoyed our cruise but would never again visit Europe in summer. It was very busy and very hot. Cities which we very much enjoyed in fall were quite a bit less pleasant in July. I was reminded every day why I stick to October through May.

We have been on two AMA cruises awhile back. I can not remember if you are limited to one luggage (50 lbs) per person. Is it possible to have two bags if you are planning an extended stay? Thank you.

We have been on two AMA cruises awhile back. I can not remember if you are limited to one luggage (50 lbs) per person. Is it possible to have two bags if you are planning an extended stay? Thank you.

I honestly have never looked as we travel light and send out laundry as needed. We add time pre and post in Europe as a rule and travel by train. Much easier with smaller luggage.

Caviargal,

Thank you so much for your review and comparison. It continues to confirm my belief that there are many companies to sail on that provide great food, service and overall experiece. For those looking to for the first time to do a river cruise this is what can cause such a challenge but also should provide some reassurance that its hard to make a major mistake since the overall experience will be so positive...

I believe that AMA and Uniworld compare nicely in regards to food, service, ships, etc.. with each one having an edge over the other in certain areas.

Thanks again for your review and comparison and I feel that I will be sailing AMA sometime in the future but continue to feel good about sailing with Uniworld.

Brian

I completely agree! We enjoy an upscale experience and would be happy with either line, as well as I imagine with Scenic, which is also well regarded. I know from seeing their boats in port we would not be happy with GCT, Vantage, Viking. There are many choices these days to provide river cruisers with the best option for them.

We normally cruise in a twin balcony cabin. The suites on AMA are the same size as on Uniworld and look lovely when we have peeked in, especially the bathtubs which are my idea of heaven after a long day of walking. Maybe one day!

We would sail with Uniworld again but would choose an itinerary that provided an opportunity to go out after dinner to a local wine bar or pub. And only on their ships that have cabins the size we just had on the Catherine which rules out part of their fleet.

When we book our Duoro cruise we will look at both lines, as neither owns their own ships in that area and they look quite comparable.

Caviargal, Thanks for taking the time to post your comprehensive review including the excellent comparison. We have cruised with AMA and would not hesitate to do do again but I have thought about trying Uniworld should the price and itinerary suit us so I do appreciate all your helpful information.

A very fair and comprehensive review. I was surprised to learn that on Uniworld the dining time was more "open" than the other lines. That might be important to some folks. Also very shocked that folks showed up in flip flops and shorts and that there was karaoke. I don't recall those comments from any other river cruise review of any brand. I'm wondering if the large group requested the karaoke?

A very fair and comprehensive review. I was surprised to learn that on Uniworld the dining time was more "open" than the other lines. That might be important to some folks. Also very shocked that folks showed up in flip flops and shorts and that there was karaoke. I don't recall those comments from any other river cruise review of any brand. I'm wondering if the large group requested the karaoke?

It was one guy that was Mr. Karaoke and their group was about 12 people total. About half of them came to the lounge after dinner. There were so few others in the lounge after dinner, I am sure the duo was just trying to keep someone there and entertained - but for the rest of us, it was a turn off.

We were very happy with their true open dining and never were made to feel badly when we arrived at 8 or later. All lines (at that price point) should be equally flexible IMO.

The flip flops and shorts I am sure was an anomaly. The temps were brutal for that week and the dining room not always comfortable. I would be surprised to see that again on Uniworld. The Catherine was a class act.

Edited by caviargal

We were very happy with their true open dining and never were made to feel badly when we arrived at 8 or later. All lines (at that price point) should be equally flexible IMO.

Yes, same here on the Maria Theresa. I think most people arrived by 7:30 PM, but you could stroll in at 8:30 with no problem.

The flip flops and shorts I am sure was an anomaly. The temps were brutal for that week and the dining room not always comfortable. I would be surprised to see that again on Uniworld. The Catherine was a class act.

I bet the temps have a lot to do with it. In mid-June we had an 8 day stretch where the daily high temp ranged between 53 and 63 degrees F. People were buying sweaters and coats in port. My wife had to buy a light jacket. So everyone in the dining room was dressed in slacks. One evening I went back to my stateroom and got my sports jacket because it was cool in the dining room.

I guess this summer is a challenge for all the engineers on these ships!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from this cruise the week after caviargal's. Our third Uniworld cruise - this one was our favorite.

No Karaoke on our ship, so cg, yours seems to have been an unfortunate anomaly! Our experience with our sommelier was quite different from yours, and the wine tasting (you described it perfectly) was NOT the usual, but rather a lesson on the sensory appreciation of wine. Those who are not looking for a primer on that subject should just go to the lounge and order a glass or two!

One thing that needs to be said: the wines on this tour are not just "nice." They are world-class. We drank unlimited estate-bottled Chateauneuf-du-Pape at dinner one evening that is a 65-euro bottle at retail. We drank estate-bottled Provencal merlot that is likely 45-euro. Other wines were similarly fine. Glenfiddich, Oban and Glenlivet were free flowing, and as suite dwellers we had them available in a decanter in our room.

I'll agree that the entertainment onboard is not a Uniworld strong suit. Fortunately, though somewhat spotty, wifi on our cruise was a bit better than you experienced. Nonetheless, I was glad we'd gotten French SIM cards for our smartphones before boarding the ship. Belt and suspenders.

Thanks for your excellent review! I personally would like to try AMA one day, but wife is a staunch Uniworld devotee and is not likely to support me on this.

PS: Oh, yeah, it was hot! But on our cruise the temps inside the ship were always very comfortable, so perhaps cg's trip included some A/C issues that had been fixed by the time we sailed.

Edited by MaxBuck