Waimea Canyon,Road to Hana, or North Shore

ekajun1957

Here are some comments I posted earlier in this discussion about the RTH and with 5 nights on Maui would recommend it. I read that driving early on weekend mornings are the least crowded times to go & that was my experience. It appears that most people make stops going to Hana & return non-stop so if you make stops returning you may have fewer people at the stops along the way.

If you like experiencing what it's like to walk on the moon, the astronauts trained at Haleakala. I can see the summit & many days by about noon clouds cover it so the best views may be earlier. At 10,000 feet it can be nearly 30° cooler than at sea level & even in Upcountry about the midway point up to the summit it can be 20° cooler. Upcountry is nice & has great views but wouldn't suggest going further than the Maui Winery.

I haven't stayed at any of the Wailea resorts so don't know about their restaurants which are more expensive then places we go. A few of our favorite restaurants are in West Maui...Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar in Ka'anapali & Kimo's in Lahaina. Barefoot Bar is casual dining with umbrella covered tables in the sand across from the beach & many times has live entertainment. Kimo's is waterfront on Front Street in Lahaina with a more upscale menu but both places are owned by the same company which also owns Duke's. I've never gone to a Maui restaurant that required "dress clothes" unless you consider long pants for men to be dressy? :p My wife and I wear tropical-style clothing and we subscribe to the local Shaka (Hang Loose) way of life. :D

I think that Mama's Fish House in Pa'ia is the best although expensive dining on Maui. I learned to appreciate fresh fish in this beautiful setting but due to the cost will have fresh fish at other more affordable Maui restaurants. Sometimes we'll just get pupus (appetizers) & here's a link to view their menu.

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com

I'ao Valley, Maui Tropical Plantation & the lava flow I previously mentioned are nice places to visit. And there are many wonderful beaches from Wailea to Makena including a beautiful cove beach Pa'ako Beach (aka Secret cove).

These are merely my thoughts but staying on Maui for 5 days I'd recommend the excellent Maui Revealed guidebook (or ones for the other islands) which is about $13 through Amazon. Even having visited or lived on Maui for over 3 decades, I found new things to experience with their guidebook.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. No one gives better advice that someone living there so I really appreciate all of your ideas.

I just got that book delivered on friday and I'm busy reading through it. Our trip got moved up by 1 1/2 months since the Army has my son going to Ranger school even though he just arrived in Hawaii about 2 months ago so we are busy planning the trip quickly. It's easier to plan then Princess cruises we take!

You may be here too early for their schedule, but the Culinary Arts program at UH Maui Campus has a set of gourmet but casual luncheons during the fall and spring semesters at their venue on campus called "A Class Act". It is more than can adequately be explained here, but do google that name for more information. It is a very unique experience.

Thank you for this idea. I will be sure to check into it.

Since you have a few days in Maui, a trip up the Road to Hana should probably be on your list. Be aware that you CAN continue full circle around the back side of Haleakala on unimproved roads ( most car rental contracts prohibit it ). I think most turn back and retrace their steps just beyond Hana. I agree with the recommendation to drive mostly non stop there and then make your stops to check out beaches and waterfalls on the way back. The crowds will be sparser.

There is a wonderful restaurant another mentioned which is located in Pa'ia, very near the start ( or end if you come back by the same route ) of the Road. It would be a great place to stop for late lunch or dinner, but reservations are a must, so it would take some timing. You can look up reviews. Very casual, but some dress very nicely for dinner. It is very "Hawaiian" in feel, open air and right on a beach. Best cerviche I have had! There is a very small bar area. We were the only ones there late afternoon, and we had a great time there talking to the bartender as we arrived early for our reservation.

The other must do is a drive through the beautiful upcountry to the summit of Haleakala. Start early to avoid clouds at the summit. The views on the way up are spectacular. You can see the entire island. Take the turn toward the Maui Winery when you come down from the summit. The pineapple champagne is amazing. We circled back from here and took a slightly different route back through some interesting small towns, ( wish we had time to stop and shop ) which brought us out in Pa'ia and this is when we did Mamas, but you can do it on the Hana day as well.

You may be here too early for their schedule, but the Culinary Arts program at UH Maui Campus has a set of gourmet but casual luncheons during the fall and spring semesters at their venue on campus called "A Class Act". It is more than can adequately be explained here, but do google that name for more information. It is a very unique experience.

Mahalo nui loa...I wasn't aware of this & will definitely check it out during their fall semester. :D

Checking their website the prices are reasonable & we're always happy to help out a future chef with their education. ;)

http://www.opentable.com/leis-family-class-act-restaurant

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you so much for your suggestions. No one gives better advice that someone living there so I really appreciate all of your ideas.

I just got that book delivered on friday and I'm busy reading through it. Our trip got moved up by 1 1/2 months since the Army has my son going to Ranger school even though he just arrived in Hawaii about 2 months ago so we are busy planning the trip quickly. It's easier to plan then Princess cruises we take!

Also locals anywhere learn things from those visiting who many times do more things than locals. ;)

Thank your son for his service to our country & best wishes for him to successfully complete the Ranger school.

I'll always remember my first time to Hawaii decades ago arriving at Pearl Harbor at sunrise from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Many years later I got to visit with an AF buddy at his Hickam AFB officer's apartment. There is so much history at PH & Hickam and I greatly enjoyed a behind the scenes visit. A treasured souvenir of a visit to the Arizona Memorial was a folded flag that flew over the Memorial that I purchased years ago at their gift shop.

Edited by Astro Flyer