Inside Cabins with toddler

lials1981

Hi all,

We sail on the Epic next month, and we have 2 teenagers, 1 x 8yo and 1 x 2yo. We have 3 inside cabins so are evenly spaced without being too cramped.

However my issue is this:

Once we realised there was no kids club for 2yo's we decided to upgrade to a balcony, so that we had somewhere to go in the evenings when we put her to bed. We always tend to lounge by the pool reading anyway, so being on the balcony in the fresh air reading still matching our ultimate cruise evenings.

But - all balcony cabins were fully booked. Our inside cabins are not connecting either as they don't seem to do this on the Epic? Leaving her sleep in one cabin and us going to the next with a baby monitor is not an option for us. I wish I had looked into this sooner!!

The hubby is now making comments about how we are going to be stuck in the dark every evening, and how much that will affect our holiday.

Any ideas? What do other couples do? Did your lo's sleep in a buggy and push them around in the evenings? Any suggestions welcome :)

I've only cruised RCCL before so some alone time in the evenings was never an issue. Please don't get me wrong... Having our daughter with us without childcare is not an issue... But being in a dark cabin unable to read/watch TV etc at 6 every night obviously is!!

Xx

I been taking my little girl on cruise since she was born she 3 next month and has 4 cruises under her belt going on the epic in November we alway let her walk round take her to dinner and then to show then after would go back to the cabin get the buggy and put her in her pjs so she was ready for bed that way we still get to do what we wanted she could sleep and we wouldn't have to disturb her to much by getting her change when we got back

What exactly are the sleeping arrangements? Teens together? 8 yo alone?

Parents with 2 yo?

Why 3 cabins?

If it were me....... I would have the 2 yo in pjs and sleeping in a stroller and would be enjoying the ships quieter areas

Just how early do you need to put the baby to sleep anyway?

My family of 6 which includes 14 to 24 year olds is sleeping before midnight

Would it really be all that difficult to stroll the baby until 10 or 11 pm and then call it a night

Fwiw. One of you will need to be on call for the kids anyway.....teens can't be ignored and what about the 8 yo?

Non connecting insides are the worst accommodation imho for your family dynamic

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That sounds like the perfect child! Can we swap?! I get nervous taking my 2yo to restaurants as her attention span is so short, after half hour she wants to get up and run around!! X

Press your teens into service.

My older kids always watched. Played. Carried the youngest

It was no burden for them

And please don't say it's the teens vacation too so they shouldn't have to watch the baby

Families work together

In all the many many many vacates we have taken i have never felt guilty asking the kids to watch each other and none of them have ever felt imposed upon either

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Crusin6: We went for 3 cabins as it worked out cheaper for the 6 of us. My husband and I are having one with the 2yo, my eldest teen has a room to herself then the youngest term is sharing with my 8yo.

Littlest usually goes to bed at 6pm at home, hence the worry, so I'm hoping sleeping in the buggy will work.

Our two year old would never sleep out and about which is one of the reasons We aren't cruising with our younger two yet. We have had to reject many a cheap cruise because we could not find cabins that were connecting. That being said, all 3 of our kids are very touchy sleepers, but generally as long as we can get them to sleep in peace and quiet they will stay asleep even if we have noise after that. You could possibly keep their room dark and quiet for him to fall asleep, and then be able to turn on a light or even the TV on low after that. I know you said the cabins are connecting, but if they are next door, you could possibly put her to sleep in one, and then with the baby monitor have someone right next door. Then when you actually all go to bed, you could transfer her over to your room so you know she is safe once you are asleep. I know that you said you weren't comfortable with a monitor, but maybe you would feel better if she was with you when you were all sleeping and just apart when you were awake. You could even keep your door open if she was right next door so you would know no one approach the door. Then the other adult could explore the ship and you alternate.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

We sailed with our just turned 2 year old last fall and he did great with sleeping. At home, he's an in his crib between 7-8 without fail. On vacation we kept him up later and he was pretty sleepy around 10 or so when we'd call it a night. He slept in the bed with us because he wanted nothing to do with the ship crib, but it ended up working great. We'd get him ready for bed, turn the lights off, but have TV on low in the background, have some milk, snuggle and he'd curl up into me and go to sleep. Oh, at home he sleeps with a white noise machine, which we brought with us and we had that going too. Once he was sleeping, we could get up and use electronic gadgets we bought, turn up the TV a bit and watch it, or even take turns sneaking out for a bit. Our 10 year old was with us too and honestly by that time of night, we were all ready for some down time. We did have a balcony, but even without it, we could move about a bit once he was sleeping. Hope you have as good as luck and your little one sleeps soundly after all the daily excitement.

You should consider having your teens babysit for at least one night. Start preparing them for their duties before the cruise. You and your husband deserve at least one night of dinner and drinks without the tot.

My 16 year old is assigned childcare duties for 2 nights of our cruise. They will be confined to cabin, have plenty of previously downloaded videos to watch and have a snack plate. I will also present them with an activity pack just before I leave. They can reach me through iConcierge if need be and will have an itinerary of my plans. I will dine at Le Bistro and see the adult comedy show.

We all deserve a little down time, especially on holidays.

Thank you, and yes I quite agree! I am tempted to get each of them to do a night or 2 each... It won't hurt them to help out [emoji4]

This is the best Idea yet.

Heck my kids even kick in some $$ whenever we travel

Be it cape cod or a med cruise or Disney

Even the 14 yo

Next year for our Europe land trip....it's $1000 each toward air

They are happy to do it too as they all work and know that our trips are fantastic so. $1000 is dirt cheap.

Just an FYI. We pay their tuitions and so far all are debt free!!! But they all work nonetheless....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply! Xxx

Have you also asked on the Family Forum for ideas? Personally I do not understand why you cannot read or watch tv. The reading lights are individual and the tv is small and not bright. But maybe your child will only sleep in a dark silent room??

She is just very sensitive to noise, and whilst I'm not a fussy mum (I'm not one of these 'kids must be in bed on time without fail' types) she does realllly suffer the next day when she's over tired... And believe me... When our 2 year old suffers... We ALL suffer!!

Hi all,

We sail on the Epic next month, and we have 2 teenagers, 1 x 8yo and 1 x 2yo. We have 3 inside cabins so are evenly spaced without being too cramped.

However my issue is this:

Once we realised there was no kids club for 2yo's we decided to upgrade to a balcony, so that we had somewhere to go in the evenings when we put her to bed. We always tend to lounge by the pool reading anyway, so being on the balcony in the fresh air reading still matching our ultimate cruise evenings.

But - all balcony cabins were fully booked. Our inside cabins are not connecting either as they don't seem to do this on the Epic? Leaving her sleep in one cabin and us going to the next with a baby monitor is not an option for us. I wish I had looked into this sooner!!

The hubby is now making comments about how we are going to be stuck in the dark every evening, and how much that will affect our holiday.

Any ideas? What do other couples do? Did your lo's sleep in a buggy and push them around in the evenings? Any suggestions welcome :)

I've only cruised RCCL before so some alone time in the evenings was never an issue. Please don't get me wrong... Having our daughter with us without childcare is not an issue... But being in a dark cabin unable to read/watch TV etc at 6 every night obviously is!!

Xx

We were on the RC Oasis two years ago and had a 2 year old + 6 year old in an inside cabin. We were traveling with my in-laws and sister-in law and her teenagers. I won't lie, it did suck a bit.

That cruise line did have baby sitting (for $) so we did take advantage of that during some dinner times, which was great to hang with our family. We also had her in baby sitting for a bit of time each daytime (3 hours) too and it worked out okay for some adult time. Otherwise, it was walking or strolling her around everywhere.

For bedtime, we essentially took turns putting her to sleep in the cabin while the other +6 year old were out at a show or doing fun stuff. Then (the genius that I am!) we brought headlamps (like you use hiking or camping) in the cabin after she was asleep. It let us read at least. I will mention that our toddler was a pretty good sleeper at the time and once asleep we were able to make some noise.

I can only imagine how much easier it would have been with a balcony though.....sigh.