What is the biggest swell (in metres) anyone has encounted on a cruise ship?

Scott (CaveDiving) - we remember it so well! In the Drake Passage on our first try for Antarctica on the Prinsendam in 2007

DH's YouTube video link to pictures of the storm as viewed from the Crow's Nest:

And my cruise critic blog of the incident - post number 44:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=480550&page=3

It was August, 2003, when the MS Rotterdam sailed out of Nuuk, Greenland into the worst storm I have ever encountered.

We had 38 consecutive hours of 45' seas. At one point that first evening, during late dinner, there was an 80' wave that hit over the bow. I have pictures of it crashing into the windows on the bridge. People in the dining room were tumbled out of their chairs, along with all the dishes, glassware, and silverware.

Water breeched the watertight doors on Upper Promenade and cascaded down the staircases in front of the stage. The show lounge was flooded out. BINGO was canceled the next day! (so you KNOW it was bad ;))

It was August, 2003, when the MS Rotterdam sailed out of Nuuk, Greenland into the worst storm I have ever encountered.

We had 38 consecutive hours of 45' seas. At one point that first evening, during late dinner, there was an 80' wave that hit over the bow. I have pictures of it crashing into the windows on the bridge. People in the dining room were tumbled out of their chairs, along with all the dishes, glassware, and silverware.

Water breeched the watertight doors on Upper Promenade and cascaded down the staircases in front of the stage. The show lounge was flooded out. BINGO was canceled the next day! (so you KNOW it was bad ;))

Just to help an experienced cruiser like you, Ruth, sound more nautical, there are no watertight doors around the promenade, and generally none in any passenger area. Watertight doors require a rim, gasket, and 6-8 locking levers. What you have in the passenger areas are "weathertight" doors, designed to keep most water out, but they will fail when sufficient head pressure (water depth) is applied. A watertight door will not fail unless it is ripped off its hinges.

"Weathertight", "watertight". In 12 years I sure could have gotten the word mixed up. Or heard it wrong in the first place.

Thanks for the correction.

(but I know the area where the water came in was not a passenger area.) It's in front of the show lounge, behind doors marked "emergency exit", or something to let you know not to go there.)