Dare I post another Drinks pkg question?!!

Wow.... That is a LOT of booze.... You will each have to drink roughly 7 drinks a day to come close to breaking even. That is EVERY day including the days you are on shore.

I think you might be using old prices or the cheaper priced drinks like beer. For me the it is about 5 drinks (about $12), plus I can drink top shelf. You also have to include other things like bottles of water. And there is no worry about spilled drinks or ones I try and don't like or the ones that go missing while I am on the dance floor.

Plus you can use the package at Royals private ports, like Labadee. You also have piece of mind that your costs are for the most part fixed.

You are correct that for port intensive cruises it wouldn't save money.

I wanted to know how much for a single coke versus the package. If i drink 3 cokes a day on the ship would the package be better or worse ?

It's around $2.50 for a single can of soda. If you have 3 or more per day, it's better to have the Refreshment package, which is $6.50 per day.

I think you might be using old prices or the cheaper priced drinks like beer. For me the it is about 5 drinks (about $12), plus I can drink top shelf. You also have to include other things like bottles of water. And there is no worry about spilled drinks or ones I try and don't like or the ones that go missing while I am on the dance floor.

Plus you can use the package at Royals private ports, like Labadee. You also have piece of mind that your costs are for the most part fixed.

You are correct that for port intensive cruises it wouldn't save money.

I never buy any of the drink packages so I am not familiar with the current pricing. So, I went with the price the OP listed; $826 for an 11 night cruise. That comes out to about $75 a day going to RCL. Assuming the average drink is $12 as you say, that comes out to 6.25 drinks per day that have to be consumed EVERY DAY no matter if you are on the ship or not.

If a person does not think they are going to drink that much every day on average, they should forget about the drink package and pay for each drink as it is consumed.

Of course, as a stockholder, if somebody wants to pay RCL lots of money for a product that is not consumed, I appreciate the additional profit that may increase the stock price......

I never buy any of the drink packages so I am not familiar with the current pricing. So, I went with the price the OP listed; $826 for an 11 night cruise. That comes out to about $75 a day going to RCL. Assuming the average drink is $12 as you say, that comes out to 6.25 drinks per day that have to be consumed EVERY DAY no matter if you are on the ship or not.

If a person does not think they are going to drink that much every day on average, they should forget about the drink package and pay for each drink as it is consumed.

Of course, as a stockholder, if somebody wants to pay RCL lots of money for a product that is not consumed, I appreciate the additional profit that may increase the stock price......

OP is quoting Canadian package prices and you're quoting drink prices in US$. The most expensive package is $65 per day US and drinks at $12 plus 18% gratuity means you're in front if you drink 5. Not to mention fresh OJ, coffee, soda and water that you may consume

The OP didn't ask if they should have a drink or two or seven, or how much they should be spending. Or if that much per day is too much for anyone to drink. Some people just want to buy the drink package. If you have no answer to the question then you don't have to make a comment.

They were wondering if there was anyone that had experience with why the booking is not adding up, according to how much it is saying it will cost per day plus grats, compared to the total the website is giving.

OP, I hope someone can help you with your question.

So, my booking is in $CDN and when I add a Premium Drinks pkg, listed at $59 cdn to my cart for an 11 night cruise it prices at $700.70 plus $126.12 gratuities for a total of $826.82

by my math it should be $59 X 11 = $649 plus $116.82 in gratuities for a total of $765.82

that's a difference of $61, times 2 of us is $122.

is there something I'm missing?

I just did a mock purchase for my 7 night cruise in Canadian dollars and got similar pricing ..... 7 x $59 CND which is $413 + 18% grat ($74.34) which is a total of $487.43 yet the total for my RCI shopping cart is $526.16.

When I open my shopping cart it shows a total of $445.90 plus service charge of 80.26. So they are basing the 18% grat on the $445.90 but I don't know where they are getting the $445.90 from when $59 x 7 is $413????

And for those commenting on the price and how many drinks would have to be consumed to break even - I don't care if I break even, although I'm sure I will be very close if not over!, I like the freedom of the drink package - I don't have to worry about my final bill and I can try any or all drinks I want to try without fear of not liking it and wasting my money or without caring what the cost of the drink is.

Edited by jtdlmc

The price for the 11 day premium package is $539 USD + tip for a total $636.02 USD. I normally get the package early and because my credit card is in euros, I will cancel if the exchange rate changes and rebook. If the exchange rate goes up I have saved if I had purchase on the ship.

It was pointed out to me yesterday that RCI does not update their exchange rates properly. That is, the headline rate on the info page hasn't been updated, but the checkout page has.

Pretty average in my books, but this may be the reason.