Are Celebrity still going to Istanbul?

Cruiseaholic 8

Unless they know something we don't know, I still think this is a total overreaction. There was a scary incident on a train from Belgium to France, yet no cruise lines are cancelling port stops there. I looked at the Cdn government's travel advisory website and there is nothing about avoiding Istanbul.

I really hope this was a one time thing and they don't take this decision for the rest of the fall cruises.

I guess I'll have to figure out a plan B to condense our Istanbul sightseeing, in case our port day turns into a sea day too. I'm still looking forward to our time there.

Been to Istanbul numerous occasions. All this Security reasons is bovine excrement. london is at a higher level of likely terrorist attack according to the 'security experts'

Problem is History shows that predicting terrorist attacks snd other disasters is not very good. Nobody predicted 9/11 in new york 7/7 in London, the Bali bombing or the Tsunami. last weekend 11 Brits were tragically killed just driving down a main road when an out of control jet crashed into them. 2 journalists shot dead in the US.

I find it incredible that the Paranoia about Istanbul emanates from a Country where firearms are easily available and tragic firearm incidents are common. I note that mexico is still on the itineraries -!

Scrappy - use the tram to get around , most of the Tourist sites are easily accessible, most from the Sultanahmet stop ( spelling could be dodgy[emoji12]). Would also recommend a Turkish Bath & massage , we have done this on our last 4 visits. Are Mr_T & justine with you ?

Edited by LA_Design

Not on this one unfortunately, but heading to London after the cruise to sail on the NCL Escape with them. :D

There's a Turkish bath in my hotel, but if Celebrity cancels our day 2, like they did for the Equinox last week, I'll have to do my sightseeing in a day and a half instead of over 3 days. :(

I am sailing on the 9/21 and we have NO idea. If you go to Celebrity site and look at the sailing it will say original itinerary of Istanbul, but if you go back later and look again it will have the new itinerary of overnight at Athens and Crete and Rhodes. (click on the icon on the map) Not sure if they just aren't telling us or if it is an IT problem..... Hopefully this next week after the first they will let us know.

Just returned from a Med Cruise with my son and we were in Istanbul day before the attack on the embassy. Day of the attack we were in Kusadasi...

We never felt uncomfortable and upon returning i booked a Holy Land cruise in October for another son and I. Must admit that i am a little uncomfortable and this will be my first visit to Israel but I figured that if there were any danger that the cruise company would review the itinerary.

I use the same reasoning for the caribbean in hurricane season, i know that they will keep us out of dangerous weather.

Still, i thought that we would be redirected to istanbul if the Ashdod overnight became dangerous....

Hope that you all have a great vacation.

I'm back in the states after finishing up on the charter cruise on the Equinox. We were the sailing that we were told on board that the overnight in Istanbul is cancelled and turned into a sea day. We had an additional three nights in the city and never felt unsafe. More scary to try crossing the street in Istanbul than fearing a terrorist threat in my opinion.

Celebrity seems to be the only cruise whose pulling the overnights. While I was there HAL was overnighting and I believe MSC was as well.

I'm back in the states after finishing up on the charter cruise on the Equinox. We were the sailing that we were told on board that the overnight in Istanbul is cancelled and turned into a sea day. We had an additional three nights in the city and never felt unsafe. More scary to try crossing the street in Istanbul than fearing a terrorist threat in my opinion.

Celebrity seems to be the only cruise whose pulling the overnights. While I was there HAL was overnighting and I believe MSC was as well.

Thank you for reporting back. I am on the Reflection Oct 12 cruise over nighting in Istanbul (hopefully as scheduled). Appreciate you checking in and hopefully Celebrity does not change our October itinerary.:)