Are Celebrity still going to Istanbul?

Cruiseaholic 8

I think there is no reason to change itineraries unless there is a hostile event or imminent threat at or near Istanbul or Kusadasi, like the ones that happened in Tunisia. If cruise lines chose not to operate at cities in a country with conflicts, they should have started with Mexico, or Sochi, Russia.

And if I were concerned by homicide rates, and numbers killed by the police, I'd steer clear of the U.S., whose figures are proportionately far worse than Turkey.

Stuart

We were in Istanbul with the Constellation about two weeks ago.

The evening before arrival we got a letter from the captain. I don't have the exact wording but it explained that there was the possibility of demonstrations/events in certain areas and that extra care should be taken. He also made an announcement when we arrived.

However we had no trouble at all and enjoyed our two days there.

Interesting... we embarked in Istanbul on Equinox on 18 July, stayed overnight and sailed evening 19th July. This coincided with the public holiday marking the end of Ramadan. No trouble at all, or mention of. Did note an armed guard at the entrance of the Topkapi Palace which our guide said was due to the naval barracks being next door.

I understand that the UK Foreign office advised an increased level of alertness a couple of days later, but as others point out, I am not aware of any negative government advice to travel to Istanbul, or Kudadasi.

Well, this might change since the bombing of the US Consulate in Istanbul. I'm sorry to all you who feel these places are safe, but I have to disagree. You never know from one minute to the next when something will happen in that part of the world.

Well, this might change since the bombing of the US Consulate in Istanbul. I'm sorry to all you who feel these places are safe, but I have to disagree. You never know from one minute to the next when something will happen in that part of the world.

Nor do you know from one minute to the next when something will happen in your part of the world. A toddler killing a sibling with a shotgun; a mass shooting in a school, an unarmed black man being shot several times by a police officer. . . .

Just open your eyes and see.

Stuart.

Edited by Wiltonian

Stuart I agree with you.

Is anywhere safe and therefore should we all stay at home.

All I would say is that the cruise lines will take advice from governments and act upon that in the safety of all guests and crew, and we should respect that decision.

Well said Wiltonian. Some people cannot see the chaos in their own backyard ....

"The murder rate in New York City has spiked an alarming 20% in the first two months of the year, prompting NYPD brass to rethink strategy to curb the deadly trend.

Since Jan. 1, 54 murders have been recorded in the city, up nine from the same period a year ago, according to the grim stats released Monday.

Shootings have also climbed 20% — with 149 so far in 2015 compared with 126 in the first two months of 2014."........this is a news report from March this year in NY. Should every tourist avoid it?

Like mentioned above THE MEDIA especially CNN which my lady watch, will have you believing that it is not safe in your back yard.

Being in a terror event most far less than dying in a accident on the way to your job or grocery store.

Having said that, YES we are concern, but we will go anyway, until they(??)say it is banned for reasons of safety

Nor do you know from one minute to the next when something will happen in your part of the world. A toddler killing a sibling with a shotgun; a mass shooting in a school, an unarmed black man being shot several times by a police officer. . . .

Just open your eyes and see.

Stuart.

Completely agree, what happened today was nowhere near the areas likely to be visited by tourists.

The police station was as far from Sultanmahet as Compton is from Beverly Hills

A little OT but I was just watching a show on one of the Discovery channels and they were discussing a tunnel being built under the Bosphoros Strait and they were showing the harbor. One of the Celebrity ships was docked and stood out because of the Big X. Show is from 2015 and was about the possibility of building a tunnel under the Bering Strait between Alaska and Russia. They showed the techniques used in Turkey and how they might be applied in the Bering Sea.

Media scaremongering.... Istanbul is over 1000 km from the area of Turkey that is deemed unsafe. All large cities have a risk of some form of protest activity, look at Paris recently. But that's no reason to not visit.

Edited by Higgy64

And if I were concerned by homicide rates, and numbers killed by the police, I'd steer clear of the U.S., whose figures are proportionately far worse than Turkey.

Stuart

"...numbers killed by the police..."

Are you seriously concerned about being killed by a policemen is you come to the USA?

As far as dangerous areas in the USA and Turkey, it is wise to know where they are and avoid them.

What most travelers are likely concerned about is terrorist attacks. These can happen in the USA, UK or Turkey.

I don't think they will get to the point that Istanbul needs to be avoided. What happened in Paris this year was far worse than what ha sharpened recently in Istanbulmand no-one is panicking about visiting Gay Paree...

As others have said, there's probably more chance of being shot in a "safe" country than in Istanbul.

And where did you read about a bombing of the US Consulate in Istanbul? Bombing?????

In light of recent troubles, I wondered whether we will still be going to Istanbul on our upcoming cruise, or whether they may choose to swap it for a different port?

From the published itineraries I see on our TA website, Istanbul is still an active port for cruise lines.

I'm not the OP, but saw this on Fox headlines news a few minutes ago....

US consulate attacked in Istanbul, violence in Turkey surges

ANKARA, Turkey – Two women opened fire at the heavily protected U.S. Consulate in Istanbul Monday, while assailants exploded a car bomb at a police station then fired on police inspecting the scene, in a day of heavy violence in Turkey's largest city.

Edited by hillslife

I'm not the OP, but saw this on Fox headlines news a few minutes ago....

US consulate attacked in Istanbul, violence in Turkey surges

ANKARA, Turkey – Two women opened fire at the heavily protected U.S. Consulate in Istanbul Monday, while assailants exploded a car bomb at a police station then fired on police inspecting the scene, in a day of heavy violence in Turkey's largest city.

That was a week ago. The Consulate was not bombed, contrary to ant earlier posting. Incidentally, the attacks have nothing to do with ISIS. And how many people 'opened fire' in the cities of the U.S. last week?

Edited by Wiltonian

With all due respect.. while I will genuinely enjoy our overnight stay in Istanbul in not even three weeks, I think this is a useless and senseless discussion.

Don´t like burger? Don´t have burger... don´t feel safe in Istanbul? Don´t go to Istanbul. Stay onboard and enjoy the empty ship...

Edited by Miaminice

I agree..

We go on Saturday ahead of our cruise from there on Monday.

I'm not even the slightest bit concerned about walking around Istanbul with my wife and daughter. I will take the same sensible precautions that I would take walking around any major city and everything will be fine.

If it isn't please make sure that my dog is looked after :)