Are Celebrity still going to Istanbul?

Cruiseaholic 8

With all due respect.. while I will genuinely enjoy our overnight stay in Istanbul in not even three weeks, I think this is a useless and senseless discussion.

Don´t like burger? Don´t have burger... don´t feel safe in Istanbul? Don´t go to Istanbul. Stay onboard and enjoy the empty ship...

My feelings exactly.

Edited by suekay

German AIDA Cruises (part of Carnival) has canceled their overnight stop in Istanbul for their next cruise based on advice of German Department of State. The ship is visiting some Greek islands instead.

Short summary of German press release:

due to the current security situation especially for public transports and in areas of police stations and frequently visited sites of the city AIDA cruises decided in close cooperation with German security authorities that the current situation is not in line with the companies high security standards and is therefore canceling the overnight stay in Istanbul.

German press release:

Die aktuelle Sicherheitslage in Istanbul, besonders bei der Nutzung öffentlicher Verkehrsmittel im Bereich von Polizeistationen und stark besuchten Teilen der Stadt, entspricht derzeit nicht den hohen Sicherheitsstandards von AIDA Cruises. Aufgrund der angespannten Lage und der Einschätzung unserer Expertensowie den Reise- und Sicherheitshinweisen des Auswärtigen Amtes haben wir entschieden, die Route von AIDAstella anzupassen.

I agree..

We go on Saturday ahead of our cruise from there on Monday.

I'm not even the slightest bit concerned about walking around Istanbul with my wife and daughter. I will take the same sensible precautions that I would take walking around any major city and everything will be fine.

If it isn't please make sure that my dog is looked after :)

We'll be boarding with you in Istanbul on Monday. We are worried but it's not going to stop us (although MIL has tried to talk us into cancelling). Really looking forward to it, but will be kind of glad when we are all safely on board and are sailing down the Bosphorus with cocktail in hand looking back at one of the world's most beautiful cities. :)

I am sure that if events take a turn for the worse, Celebrity will cause ports and destinations. At this time, I still would go to Istanbul and Turkey. The people there are marvelous and we have found them to be very pro-American. The government is the major problem, but to date it has not affected how American Tourists are viewed. In regards to events such as bombing, several years ago my wife and I were in Thailand. Until we had gotten back to the ship and left port, we did not know that there was a shoot-out between the police and a terrorist group.

Summary: If Celebrity says it is safe, I would go.

I have been paying close attention to the situation in Turkey since I'll be doing an overnight on the Reflection next month. Never been there, and I'm very looking forward to explore the city, but I think that the current risk of a terrorist attack in Istanbul or Kusadasi is probably the same as any other major city in the west, it makes me think twice what places to visit and be extra-careful, but it doesn't stop me of visiting attractions or using public transport. I'm more concerned of pickpockets and ripoffs than terrorists.

We arrive a couple of days pre cruise, & while we will be vigilant, plan to explore this intriguing city. While keeping abreast of current news, I do not plan to live in fear. Life is meant for living.

Good attitude

We cruised from Istanbul as a family last year (for the second time) and absolutely love the city. It felt perfectly safe. The reality is that a terror incident can happen anywhere at any time, and is just as likely in a US city.

Interesting. While we were diverted from Egypt as a port stop to Istanbul about 4 years ago, we now are scheduled to depart from Istanbul this fall. What if X move the departure port to another city at the last minute, what happens to all of the pax who have booked air into Istanbul ? Wow!

Edited by dabear

I think they're over-reacting. The attacks are against Government Buildings and Military, NOT tourists. Provided people take sensible precautions they should be fine.

Well, probably the attacks are against Government Buildings and Military, BUT the last episode was just outside the Dolmabahce Palace in central Istanbul, a very popular tourist destination... There are always long lines of tourists waiting to enter... :(

Crystal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2249241

and Costa

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6498

have canceled all their stops in Turkey. Celebrity should follow suit for the safety of its passengers and crew.

Crystal's itinerary changes appear to be to cruises departing in 2016?

Unfortunately it's probably not that simple for X as they possibly already have/in transit pax in Istanbul awaiting to board Equinox early next week. Perhaps that's why they are holding out until Government Officials state otherwise? The logistics at this late stage would be a nightmare for X (remember this is not just a port stop, this is disembarking 2000+ pax and then embarking the same numbers). They may possibly bring forward our sailaway though, and not stop for the overnight - who knows?

My understanding was that they attacked two of the Guards outside the palace, three people have been arrested.

I think statistically you have more chance of the aircraft crashing on the way to Istanbul than you have of being hurt in an attack whilst there.

My understanding was that they attacked two of the Guards outside the palace, three people have been arrested.

I think statistically you have more chance of the aircraft crashing on the way to Istanbul than you have of being hurt in an attack whilst there.

Yes, it was stated that they were apprehended by police outside the Palace. As chebumosqui stated, there are usually long lines of tourists waiting to enter, therefore they obviously were not their intended targets.

We'll see you onboard ;).

In speaking to our TA, she indicated that sometimes itineraries change due to slow sales, not only for safety reasons. She also added that Turkey/ Israel, middle eastern cruises have been slow sellers recently.

This is an overreaction. As we can read on the news, the gunmen were stopped and captured, that means Istanbul has an effective police with permanent presence right now.

I wish the french police be like the Turkish.

With all due respect.. while I will genuinely enjoy our overnight stay in Istanbul in not even three weeks, I think this is a useless and senseless discussion.

Don´t like burger? Don´t have burger... don´t feel safe in Istanbul? Don´t go to Istanbul. Stay onboard and enjoy the empty ship...

Very very well said. To each his own. I'm most likely going to cancel. Don't really want to have to be extra "vigilant" or "aware of my surroundings" on vacay. But that's just me.

Yes, to each his own, but that is too bad. One always has to be extra "vigilant" and "aware of their surroundings" wherever they travel. It is a different world out there, but if one avoids every place that may be dangerous they will be stuck inside their own home and never venture out at all.

Agree, it's a shame but each to their own. Everything in life carries a risk, I don't believe that Istanbul is any more dangerous than any other major city at the moment with the exception of places like Baghdad, Tripoli etc.

There were two shootings in Manchester, UK in the past month but I wouldn't not go there because of that.

But we all make our own decisions

Very very well said. To each his own. I'm most likely going to cancel. Don't really want to have to be extra "vigilant" or "aware of my surroundings" on vacay. But that's just me.

I suggest you take such cities as Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Athens, and Buenos Aires off your travel list as you really should be "vigilant" (against pickpockets) and "aware of your surroundings" in those cities too. Or pretty much anywhere. ;)

I suggest you take such cities as Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Athens, and Buenos Aires off your travel list as you really should be "vigilant" (against pickpockets) and "aware of your surroundings" in those cities too. Or pretty much anywhere. ;)

I'm not sure why you felt the need to belabor this. Does my decision to cancel my plans somehow imply criticism of those who choose to go? My point was the exact opposite of that. We all have different temperaments and tolerance levels. In my opinion, fending off pickpockets is in a whole different league than what's happening in Istanbul right now. And, to be honest, I'm not sure how being "vigilant" and "aware of your surroundings" helps in any way if some joker decides to open fire, lob a grenade or quietly leave off a backpack containing a bomb. No amount of vigilance is going to help you there.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to belabor this. Does my decision to cancel my plans somehow imply criticism of those who choose to go? My point was the exact opposite of that. We all have different temperaments and tolerance levels. In my opinion, fending off pickpockets is in a whole different league than what's happening in Istanbul right now. And, to be honest, I'm not sure how being "vigilant" and "aware of your surroundings" helps in any way if some joker decides to open fire, lob a grenade or quietly leave off a backpack containing a bomb. No amount of vigilance is going to help you there.

Sorry, did not mean to hit a nerve. I respect that people have different tolerances for risk. You were the one who used those terms, but now I see you were using them ironically.

As you say, if you are somewhere in the midst of a terror attack, there may be nothing you can do. Or, there is also a chance that if you are vigilant, you may pick up clues about the situation and be able to get out of it....

For me, since it is difficult to predict where one can be assured of being safe anymore, I will take my chances and keep seeing the world.

People tend to get very hot under the collar very quickly on this topic (e.g. gun control).

I think it is worth remembering in our responses to others that just as we in the U.S. may not understand the political atmosphere and situation in another country but may have fears about our safety there, it is fair enough that people from other countries hear stories of gun violence in the U.S. and have concerns about THEIR safety here.

For them it is not necessarily a political question, unless someone feels the need to make it into one. :rolleyes:

For what it is worth, as a woman traveling alone I will readily admit that I feel safer walking about in the evening alone in many cities abroad than I do in the US.