Opinion/Experiences Please

MikeMA

Hi all,

We are booked on the Freedom for Jan. 9th out of Galveston, TX. I just discovered that this cruise is a "Tejano Legends" Cruise.

My question is do any of you have experience from past Legends cruises or similar types? Will the ship be overrun with this entertainment? Don't get me wrong I enjoy different cultures/music etc, and expected a little country type atmosphere departing from Galveston. I guess I'm just concerned that it will be much more than the usual demographic influence.

Part of our fave experience in cruising is the Caribbean influence etc. and I'm just nervous this will have more of a Latin/Mexican environment. Are the menus/buffets affected? Shows affected? Is it more of just theme?

Any info is appreciated. We booked this cruise a year in advance and I am not sure I would have if this event had been announced or made known.

Thank you for the help,

Mike

I just looked up this cruise. Not being of Spanish origin, I'd cancel. All the entertainers names were Spanish. To me, it would be like being alone in a crowd. We ran into this on another line one year at Easter. It turned out to basically be all Europeans that clung together in groups. So, I guess that would be my reason not to go through that again.

It sounds like it will have a Latin/Mexican theme.

That wouldn't bother me at all but it sounds like it might bother you?

Why would it not bother you? Perhaps you are bilingual? Perhaps it won't bother you that clubs might be closed to the general public. Tickets are being sold through someone, so that makes only certain people able to attend things.

This happened to us years ago. We were booked on the freedom and on a "soul cruise" without ever being informed. It was actually the last time I ever booked through a TA for a cruise. We were a little surprised when we boarded but We actually had an amazing time! The music was different to us but it did not impact our fun. The only thing that was different for us that cruise was we didn't use the night club at all because of the music.We spent a lot of time at the piano bar which was hopping with people who weren't part of the "soul cruise" We met a ton of awesome people and had a great time. It would NOT deter me from booking another themed cruise (or whatever you wanna call it).

eta: nothing was "closed off to us" for not being part of their group. the cruise went on as normal

Edited by KrisMusc313

Why would it not bother you? Perhaps you are bilingual? Perhaps it won't bother you that clubs might be closed to the general public. Tickets are being sold through someone, so that makes only certain people able to attend things.

It wouldn't bother me either as long as we are seated in the MDR at night with people who can readily convers in English. We don't use the clubs much and I would like the Latin music better than the Hip Hop the DJs like to play. I wouldn't seek out a Latin music themed cruise, but it would be an appropriate cultural theme during a Caribbean cruise. I can see how people that use the various clubs public areas more may not want to be on that cruise. I don't intend to be argumentative, but you asked why it would not be a bother.

It wouldn't bother me because I might like the music.

I enjoy practicing my limited Spanish and I'd think that since we are traveling from the USA that folks would also speak English.

I have been on a theme cruise before by accident and it turned out great! I don't think that all venues would be closed unless the entire ship was booked by one group which it wouldn't be if they let me book my cabin too.

I live in San Diego which has a lot of Spanish culture and I enjoy it even though it is not my background.

Way back in 2003, I decided to go on a cruise by myself on the Imagination. Being single at the time, I was hoping I could meet up with some ladies around my age. Little did I know that it was some sort of 50s doo wop band themed cruise. The vast majority of people on the cruise had a good 30-40 years on me. The disco was pretty dead so I usually found myself at the blackjack tables almost every night, where my luck didn't fare much better.

It wouldn't bother me because I might like the music.

I enjoy practicing my limited Spanish and I'd think that since we are traveling from the USA that folks would also speak English.

I have been on a theme cruise before by accident and it turned out great! I don't think that all venues would be closed unless the entire ship was booked by one group which it wouldn't be if they let me book my cabin too.

I live in San Diego which has a lot of Spanish culture and I enjoy it even though it is not my background.

These evens might only be for the group.

These evens might only be for the group.

I'm not going back to the website, so if I recall, bookings for events are through some agency. This tells me events are for those who book with them and that means areas on the ship are reserved.

OK So I understand better now that all these artists will be playing and doing events all over the ship.

I'd expect that Carnival would have these things listed on their site so folks would know about it.

I am surprised that they let others book without buying these "event tickets" which are on sale separately if you don't book the cruise with the organizing agency. I don't think I can post the link since it is a travel agency organizing it and not the cruise line.

I have a feeling that if enough people book the event pkgs. that others will be told their cruise is canceled.

I am surprised that this is not listed as a charter cruise!

I thought that this was just a "theme cruise" with Tejano music as the theme.

I have been on others where the theme was New Orleans dance music with dance lessons and live bands etc. but everyone on board could participate.

This is certainly different!

Edited by riffatsea

Thank you all for your responses. I work the midnight shift and was asleep for most of the late afternoon/ evening.

I found out about this event by dumb luck. A coworker mentioned that he found a Facebook group for people going on his cruise and since the Roll Call thread on here is small and quiet I figured I'd search Facebook for the heck of it. Then I saw the Tejano cruise. As I researched more and more I realized this was bigger than an average them cruise as they have entertainers etc (MANY).

I tried going back to read reviews on this site from previous years with this cruise but found none. From the Facebook page it certainly looks like the ship (dance areas, entertainment venues, and pool areas were all geared towards the group).

I called Carnival this afternoon and they confirmed what I discovered but could not tell me exactly how many tickets had been sold. The agent did say he would typically expect at least 500 from the group sales.

I don't want to sound rude so I'm trying to use my words wisely. My family respects all cultures and backgrounds. With that said a cruise filled with a majority of events and entertainment geared towards the Latin Tex Mex culture would not be as fun for us. I'm sure these people are a fun group just trying to enjoy a vacation like us, but it's just not what we had in mind when we booked.

Now comes the annoying part of trying to find another similar cruise, similar price. We got a GREAT rate on this cruise by booking so far in advance. I had not cruised with Carnival in 10 years and figured with my daughter being 3 I would give them another shot due to the great kids program. Now with this I'm starting to have a bad taste in my mouth. How on earth they let people book without informing them of this group is beyond me.

I'm going to look at the Magic out of Galveston instead. Problem is we only have a 2 1/2week window to work with(Jan 1st -19th). And we prefer Galveston as my brother and sister in law live near Dallas and booked the same cruise with us. Very Frustrated!

This isn't a Carnival problem, it's an industry problem.

We went on a three day cruise that had a huge group for a singer. Instead of two shows a night they had one show then the group took it over.

They can have group only events in many of the clubs/lounges but there's no way they can prevent you from using the outside areas.

Edited by SadieN

Personally I don't care what the theme might be....Tejano, Soul, 80's girl band, Martian etc.... I don't think it's right for the cruise line to not make it clear to anyone booking a cruise that a themed event will be taking place. If an entire group wants to take over a cruise after so many people have booked I think everyone who has booked already should immediately be made aware that they will now be on a themed cruise. This person had to find out in a roundabout way via word of mouth and Facebook.

I personally wouldn't really want to be on a themed cruise unless it was my own particular group. Otherwise I would just feel like an outsider.

It doesn't sound like fun to have any particular theme in your face an entire cruise unless of course it is your group/theme that you are a member/adherent of.

Many great points!!

I have been on 10 cruises. With the exception of a repeat cruisers party or wine tasting event etc I have never not been allowed to attend events. This theme is selling tickets to music/entertainment shows on the ship etc. I read on a Forum that last years cruise they didn't have a comedian(something I enjoy) but instead had a few singers.(ticket entry) to know that our cruise ship areas will be restricted is a HUGE turnoff.

I am just really disappointed. After reading countless reviews and researching the Freedom I now will prob have to cancel as the price for both cruise and airfare the week before are Much higher. So much as I may just choose a different cruise line.

Shame on Carnival for not notifying their customers. Imagine if I didn't come across this on my own...

Personally I don't care what the theme might be....Tejano, Soul, 80's girl band, Martian etc.... I don't think it's right for the cruise line to not make it clear to anyone booking a cruise that a themed event will be taking place. If an entire group wants to take over a cruise after so many people have booked I think everyone who has booked already should immediately be made aware that they will now be on a themed cruise. This person had to find out in a roundabout way via word of mouth and Facebook.

I personally wouldn't really want to be on a themed cruise unless it was my own particular group. Otherwise I would just feel like an outsider.

It doesn't sound like fun to have any particular theme in your face an entire cruise unless of course it is your group/theme that you are a member/adherent of.

Thank you all for your responses. I work the midnight shift and was asleep for most of the late afternoon/ evening.

I found out about this event by dumb luck. A coworker mentioned that he found a Facebook group for people going on his cruise and since the Roll Call thread on here is small and quiet I figured I'd search Facebook for the heck of it. Then I saw the Tejano cruise. As I researched more and more I realized this was bigger than an average them cruise as they have entertainers etc (MANY).

I tried going back to read reviews on this site from previous years with this cruise but found none. From the Facebook page it certainly looks like the ship (dance areas, entertainment venues, and pool areas were all geared towards the group).

I called Carnival this afternoon and they confirmed what I discovered but could not tell me exactly how many tickets had been sold. The agent did say he would typically expect at least 500 from the group sales.

I don't want to sound rude so I'm trying to use my words wisely. My family respects all cultures and backgrounds. With that said a cruise filled with a majority of events and entertainment geared towards the Latin Tex Mex culture would not be as fun for us. I'm sure these people are a fun group just trying to enjoy a vacation like us, but it's just not what we had in mind when we booked.

Now comes the annoying part of trying to find another similar cruise, similar price. We got a GREAT rate on this cruise by booking so far in advance. I had not cruised with Carnival in 10 years and figured with my daughter being 3 I would give them another shot due to the great kids program. Now with this I'm starting to have a bad taste in my mouth. How on earth they let people book without informing them of this group is beyond me.

I'm going to look at the Magic out of Galveston instead. Problem is we only have a 2 1/2week window to work with(Jan 1st -19th). And we prefer Galveston as my brother and sister in law live near Dallas and booked the same cruise with us. Very Frustrated!

I understand... and If I were cruising to Mexico - I would probably enjoy that kind of theme to set the mood, but when I am going to the Caribbean, I wouldn't want to be on a Mexican themed cruise where I would more than likely just feel like an outsider. I actually wouldn't want to be on any cruise where a group was likely to "take over" the ship particularly if all the entertainment was geared to them. Now a classic rock or Jimmy Buffet theme would probably be fine with me because that is the music I enjoy - but to be stuck with all Mexican music, Classical, Jazz, Soul, Hip Hop or (God forbid) Rap would be torture for me! It's my cruise too, and I don't want to be locked in to one kind of entertainment!

The problem as I see it , is not that the entertainment will be Tejano music, it is that the entertainment canNOT be enjoyed by anyone who either hasn't booked the whole cruise pkg with the sponsoring agency OR who hasn't spend another several hundred dollars to buy entertainment tickets!!

When you book a cruise with Carnival you are expecting entertainment to be provided as part of your cruise experience. On this cruise you have to pay extra for it but Carnival is NOT telling you that when you book through them!! It is absolutely ridiculous and seems like false advertising to me!

Looks like they have 2 Tejano cruises out of Galveston thru the same website:

Conjunto Legends Cruise 2015, which will take place November 30th – December 5th (Triumph)

Tejano Legends Cruise 2016, which will take place January 9th – 16th, 2016 (Freedom)In 2014 this cruise had more than 500 booked for the event.

The Freedom one is a big one with 20+ featured artists. They are offering VIP tickets to their quests with VIP line entrances, choice seating and private concerts

Edited by kendracruises

If it were me I can or quickly. I got stuck twice in the early years once was a Trinidad clubs cruise , the other some wacky self help / motivational cruise .

I know that there will be some kind of on here trying to suggest that perhaps it's a bias or make it something that it not.

For me I book to enjoy certain amenities so I don't appreciate told I need to move off the lido deck at 200 pm for a group picture

Or the endless speaches in the met or a complete take over of a venue

Me vacations are to precious , deal or no deal I find another vacation

Since carnival doesn't have a notification policy in place to notify people that any particular cruise will be "themed" does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to go about checking to see if a potential booking will be a themed one? Or how to monitor and check for a "theme/group" that might have taken over the already booked cruise?

I've only been on one cruise and am contemplating another but would be extremely upset if my trip were taken over by any particular theme/group especially since vacations are very rare for me. The next cruise I am considering will likely be my last for several years and would hate for it to be not as anticipated due to the ship being overrun with a specialty group. Seems like it would only be fun if you were in the specialty group. Everyone else not so much.

The problem as I see it , is not that the entertainment will be Tejano music, it is that the entertainment canNOT be enjoyed by anyone who either hasn't booked the whole cruise pkg with the sponsoring agency OR who hasn't spend another several hundred dollars to buy entertainment tickets!!

When you book a cruise with Carnival you are expecting entertainment to be provided as part of your cruise experience. On this cruise you have to pay extra for it but Carnival is NOT telling you that when you book through them!! It is absolutely ridiculous and seems like false advertising to me!

You book thru the sponsor, not Carnival for the package that includes cabin and tickets for $899 pp insides. If book with Carnival, the event ticket is $410 pp as it's not broken up to separate events.