Looking for a hotel resort with decent snorkeling

losbun

Our family of 5 will be in Cozumel in April with 6 other ships. We did Chankanaab last year and while we really enjoyed that I'm looking for other options this time. My husband and daughter are big time snorkelers and would not be happy at a beach club like Mr Sanchos/Nachi but the younger boys would not be happy at a place that only had snorkeling like the Money Bar. I'm thinking maybe a hotel resort with a pool and possible small beach might be a good compromise. The Cozumel Palace looked promising but not at over 500 for the day.

Alternatively I had originally wanted to do a sail/snorkel but oddly enough could not find many providers. If anyone has a recommendation on this I would be interested. Finally, I also ideally would like something calm and kicked backed that would remind me of the divers island we came to 15 years ago ;).

Our family of 5 will be in Cozumel in April with 6 other ships. We did Chankanaab last year and while we really enjoyed that I'm looking for other options this time. My husband and daughter are big time snorkelers and would not be happy at a beach club like Mr Sanchos/Nachi but the younger boys would not be happy at a place that only had snorkeling like the Money Bar. I'm thinking maybe a hotel resort with a pool and possible small beach might be a good compromise. The Cozumel Palace looked promising but not at over 500 for the day.

Alternatively I had originally wanted to do a sail/snorkel but oddly enough could not find many providers. If anyone has a recommendation on this I would be interested. Finally, I also ideally would like something calm and kicked backed that would remind me of the divers island we came to 15 years ago ;).

I would look at a day pass to Park Royal or Hotel Cozumel or if you don't need a hotel, Buccanos Bar and Grill. Google for their web page and images.

Well, yesterday I was all frustrated because I couldn't find any good options and now I have an overabundance of choices:D. Thanks for the suggestions c-leg, I had not heard of Buccanos at all.

After scouring trip advisor and outfitter websites I think I have found a good choice with Chala-Michal Snorkeling Adventures. They have very good reviews on trip advisor and are quite reasonable. They are one of the only outfitters that don't charge full price for young kids. The excursion last about 3 hours and then I thought we'd go to a PAYG beach club. I see you like El Cid for that and that looks like the perfects spot for us however, the only drawback is the outfitter only picks-up/drops-off at a few docks - The Money Bar being their primary dock. We could take cabs back and forth but I feel as if we would just be burning money on all these cabs because we'd still have to take one to Punta Langosta. Alternatively, they could drop us off at Secret's Aura and we could walk to Paradise Beach - it only seems to be a 1/2 mile, although PB is not really my first choice to chillax and have some good food and drinks.

A much less complicated and cheaper plan is to take a cab to one of the places you recommended and just be beach bums for the day. Is there any appreciable difference in the places between the quality of their amenities, food, crowds and snorkeling?

Thanks for all your help, Laura.

I would ask the snorkel boat if they can just drop you off elsewhere. Even if there is no dock, you can always wade in.

I wouldn't plan on a secrets drop off. When we stayed there they only let guests on the dock. People not staying there or at sabor couldn't access the property without paying for a day pass. Possibly they wouldn't even let you walk through.

Just my two cents :)

El Cid has decent snorkeling right off their 'beach' We have always been satisfied snorkeling right from shore. There are plenty of fish & enough coral to keep our interest, plus, further out there is a huge anchor, as well as the remains of a sunken airplane.

Pool, restaurant, beach volleyball, music...

We will be returning first of September w/ a group of 5, & I hope everyone is satisfied!

I would ask the snorkel boat if they can just drop you off elsewhere. Even if there is no dock, you can always wade in.

I wouldn't plan on a secrets drop off. When we stayed there they only let guests on the dock. People not staying there or at sabor couldn't access the property without paying for a day pass. Possibly they wouldn't even let you walk through.

Good to know, thanks for the advice. Off topic, you're right scuba for my daughter is a no go. I have to admit that I'm starting to regret booking another cruise and kinda wish I would have just done a land based vacation.

Just my two cents :)

El Cid has decent snorkeling right off their 'beach' We have always been satisfied snorkeling right from shore. There are plenty of fish & enough coral to keep our interest, plus, further out there is a huge anchor, as well as the remains of a sunken airplane.

Pool, restaurant, beach volleyball, music...

We will be returning first of September w/ a group of 5, & I hope everyone is satisfied!

Thanks Cerabella, I think they're good two cents. My concern is that with 20000 cruisers that day and El Cid so close to the port is it going to be a madhouse?

Well, yesterday I was all frustrated because I couldn't find any good options and now I have an overabundance of choices:D. Thanks for the suggestions c-leg, I had not heard of Buccanos at all.

After scouring trip advisor and outfitter websites I think I have found a good choice with Chala-Michal Snorkeling Adventures. They have very good reviews on trip advisor and are quite reasonable. They are one of the only outfitters that don't charge full price for young kids. The excursion last about 3 hours and then I thought we'd go to a PAYG beach club. I see you like El Cid for that and that looks like the perfects spot for us however, the only drawback is the outfitter only picks-up/drops-off at a few docks - The Money Bar being their primary dock. We could take cabs back and forth but I feel as if we would just be burning money on all these cabs because we'd still have to take one to Punta Langosta. Alternatively, they could drop us off at Secret's Aura and we could walk to Paradise Beach - it only seems to be a 1/2 mile, although PB is not really my first choice to chillax and have some good food and drinks.

A much less complicated and cheaper plan is to take a cab to one of the places you recommended and just be beach bums for the day. Is there any appreciable difference in the places between the quality of their amenities, food, crowds and snorkeling?

Thanks for all your help, Laura.

Thanks Cerabella, I think they're good two cents. My concern is that with 20000 cruisers that day and El Cid so close to the port is it going to be a madhouse?

I am not sure how old your kids are? I suggested Buccanos as a compromise for all your family. There is some offshore snorkeling - small rocky beach and some artificial reef balls (although I haven’t actually done it and I have heard there can be a current, like many areas of Cozumel) Some of the shore excursions go to this club for various activities. There are other water activities available SUP, possibly jet skis but no water inflatables; a pool;massages; tequila-tasting and rock climbing wall, (which is nothing special and discounted by many, but I think could occupy young teenagers). We are an older couple - I like Buccanos for a drink, snack and pool. It has its busier areas but we have found quiet loungers on the terraces. My biggest peeve with Buccanos is their day pass policy -which can vary – I think the official line is $10 pp entry to include snorkel equipment for cruisers or $10 entry of locals or people staying on the island, to be credited towards food and drink. This is the pass that we buy, (we have actually only done it from land vacations so far) - of course you cannot arrive with cruise ship towels in this case and you need to say you are staying on the island, there is security at the entrance. You could email for current policy, if you are interested, since it does change. If you arrive and are denied entrance or don’t want to pay charge you can go next door to Playa Azul.

If I understand correctly you are now thinking about all taking a boat excursion and then going to a beach for a short time, preferably with a pool?

If this is correct, and you are docking at Punta Langosta, I would not recommend taking a cab from Money Bar to El Cid, and then another to Punta Langosta. You are correct that we do like to go to El Cid for a short time but only because we generally dock at International and it is a 5 minute walk and convenient. It is not so special that I would take a cab. From Money Bar I would either take a cab to Paradise Beach and back to your pier, or if you are simply looking for somewhere with a pool to drop in for a short time, and have a drink and snack, you might consider taking taxi from Money Bar to “No Name Bar” at Hotel Barracuda, in town. This is not a 5-star resort by any means but it is within walking distance of your pier, has a reasonable pool, drinks and snacks and actually shore snorkeling if your husband and daughter want some more! It is popular with the cruise staff so could be busy depending what time you arrive but I don’t think many cruisers from International or Puerta Maya would make their way there, again it is a place we tend to frequent when staying on the island. The entrance is a little quirky but head quickly through to the back! This recommendation depends a lot on how old your kids are, and whether they are happy to just play in the pool for a while, because there is no running around room, or other activities. Use Google images for further info.

Check with the Iberostar Cozumel. Decent snorkeling off the beach, a full all-inclusive hotel, but it's quaint and fun, with a beach, pools, food, entertainment. They will sell day passes if they are not sold out. You would need a taxi, but having everything right there might just be what you need!