Norovirus insurance..

SeaDog70s

Well, I would never expect a cruise company to offer this, because, after all, the official company line is that this is a common virus that just happens.

But, since we all know different, the very valid question is:

Since you can, in no possible way, prevent becoming sick on a cruise ship, due to noro, is there any travel insurance you could buy which would, at a minimum, cover the on-board medical charges -AND- recover the entire cost of the cruise?

Pro-cruise company apologetics need not FLAME.

Not sure what you're trying to get at.

Travel insurance already covers your medical and some/all travel insurance policies cover trip interruption for medical quarantine.

No flames please. Knowing what your travel insurance covers is a personal responsibility, not the cruise lines .

Not sure, but I think if the ship has a noro outbreak, all medical charges related to the virus are waived:confused:

Noro usually sidelines you for one bad day and one or two days of being weak. The cruise lines do not charge for Dr. visits when Noro is the problem.

Well, I would never expect a cruise company to offer this, because, after all, the official company line is that this is a common virus that just happens.

But, since we all know different, the very valid question is:

Since you can, in no possible way, prevent becoming sick on a cruise ship, due to noro, is there any travel insurance you could buy which would, at a minimum, cover the on-board medical charges -AND- recover the entire cost of the cruise?

Pro-cruise company apologetics need not FLAME.

Some people seem to avoid noro by not touching things like stair rails or anything in a common area of the ship. Washing hands often and not touching one's mouth or nose seems to help.

I have never heard of a cruise ship where everyone got noro.

It would be terrible to go on a 3 day cruise and get noro the first day. You would be able to enjoy very little of the cruise.

In the UK, there are travel insurance policies that will pay an extra benefit for days laid up. They won't pay for an entire cruise just because you were out of commission for a part of it. I can't help you with US policies.

No, there is no coverage that will pay for the whole thing when you were sidelined for only part of it.

The medical expenses aren't an issue. Most lines won't charge noro patients for medical care, and even if they did, any trip insurance policy would cover them instead.