Bringing some cans of soda on board?

loubetti

Working on booking my 45th and first-ever Carnival cruise. As I understand it I can throw some cans of soda in my carry on luggage. Am I correct in this assumption?

I know that bottles are a no-no, but it appears a small number of soda cans are okay.

It seems like it is okay, yes?

Working on booking my 45th and first-ever Carnival cruise. As I understand it I can throw some cans of soda in my carry on luggage. Am I correct in this assumption?

I know that bottles are a no-no, but it appears a small number of soda cans are okay.

It seems like it is okay, yes?

Yes...12 cans of pop and 1 bottle of wine per person may be brought with you in your carryon only on embarkation day.

I am glad you were able to convince your girlfriend.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Happy sailing

Hi guys. I just want to add something that happened to me this past Aug. 2 while embarking on the Liberty in San Juan. It was me and my daughter sailing and I had brought a 24-pack of soda cans (12 cans each). They stopped me and said that I was not allowed to bring in the cans packed that way (in their original package none the less). I had to show up with the cans divided and that we had to each carry on 12 cans separately. I looked at them and actually said "you're joking, right?" My daughter in 12 years old and I'm wasn't gonna make her carry that extra weight. I told them that if they wanted to open the packaging and divide the cans between both backpacks we had it was fine with me but that it was ridiculous. After a few minutes of back and forth stupidity from terminal (not ship) security and supervisors one of them decided to wave me off with my package of cans untouched. I carried the 24-pack on my arms into the ship, past the liquor police who smiled and said "hello" as I walked by. I still fail to see why, if you're not going to actually inspect how many cans (or the contents) I am carrying, why do the cans have to be divided between the two persons if we are traveling together.

Hi guys. I just want to add something that happened to me this past Aug. 2 while embarking on the Liberty in San Juan. It was me and my daughter sailing and I had brought a 24-pack of soda cans (12 cans each). They stopped me and said that I was not allowed to bring in the cans packed that way (in their original package none the less). I had to show up with the cans divided and that we had to each carry on 12 cans separately.

I will let you know how it goes for me in Port Canaveral this Sunday. I will be carrying three bottles of wine and 8 cans of ginger ale and 4, 20 ounce cans of energy/vitamin drink. My SIL has a bad back and won't be carrying anything and my wife will be carrying my camera equipment so I am elected to carry it all for the three of us.

I must look honest because I never once have been hassled getting on the ship. Customs gave us hell one time getting off. They detained us because they thought we bought all of our jewelry in the Virgin Islands. So from now on we take a photo of our us the jewelry and our Florida licence plate to prove we had it on before the cruise.

Must be a San Juan thing because in July I had purchased an 8-pack of canned coke and it was sealed in plastic and the lady security proceeded to tell me that I could not bring them on board and well me being I challenged her and told her it was a 12-pack per person she said I was wrong it was a 6-pack and she went and got somebody else and I told them the same thing he told her I was correct and I could not resist saying I told you so!!!

I will let you know how it goes for me in Port Canaveral this Sunday. I will be carrying three bottles of wine and 8 cans of ginger ale and 4, 20 ounce cans of energy/vitamin drink.

Might want to look into smaller cans of energy drink:

"A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

I usually bring one 2 liter bottle of 7up or Sprite when I cruise because I don't like cans. So, is that not allowed either?

Not any longer.

There are tops for cans. I bought some at our 99c store.

Hi guys. I just want to add something that happened to me this past Aug. 2 while embarking on the Liberty in San Juan. It was me and my daughter sailing and I had brought a 24-pack of soda cans (12 cans each). They stopped me and said that I was not allowed to bring in the cans packed that way (in their original package none the less). I had to show up with the cans divided and that we had to each carry on 12 cans separately....

... why do the cans have to be divided between the two persons if we are traveling together?

It's their ship and their rules. To expect someone on the Cruise Critic forum to know the answer is a bit unrealistic. Perhaps an email to Carnival with this question would be better?

Edited by LostPuppy

It's their ship and their rules. To expect someone on the Cruise Critic forum to know the answer is a bit unrealistic. Perhaps an email to Carnival with this question would be better?

He was just making a statement.

I doubt if he thought anyone on CC would really have an answer to this.

Yup, it was just a rhetoric statement. Besides, read closely, this was NOT the ship's security screening crew. This was the terminal's screening before entering the ship. The guys ON the ship that check for alcohol and other "not allowed" items before you enter the ship (again this is embarking FROM San Juan). One would hope they were more informed of actual Carnival policies, though. I almost took out my phone to show them Carnival's own FAQ section on this. In the past they would not really fuss at all about sealed packages if quantities were appropriate for the amount of persons traveling together in the same cabin.