Looking for marble carvings in Juneau, Skagway or Haines. Photo below

dlhoward

Where would I find something like this in Juneau, Skagway or Haines? https://cascadegifts.com/product/stone-carvings/star-marble-carvings/

Almost every store in Ketchikan has those, some cheap, some more expensive. Check Tongass Trading Company. Also Eddie Lee is a master artist and he has a studio in Ketchikan and his work can also be found in the Alaska Trading Company.

Edited by pizzalady1

Everywhere has them, most of them made in China though. The gift shop at the top of the Mt Roberts tram in Juneau definitely has them, but most of the big gift/souvenir shops you'll find by the port will sell this sort of stuff.

Marble does not exist in AK naturally....so anything made in that rock would most likely be from someplace else...Probably can't bring back Ivory even if it is walrus from a legally killed walrus....but soapstone....for sure...Michael Scott is one of the best carvers in Alaska...for that mention he usually places in the top three places each year in a world wide carving contests...His work is superb...

I believe Ivory is illegal in the US. After looking at the website my daughter sent me it says "star marble". I don't know what kind of marble that is. Maybe a softer one. It is from Canada. She prefers for me to find her something from Alaska but if not we will order from the website. I just don't have much time to all the stores and the excursions we are going on so was hoping someone would know where to find something like it.

I believe Ivory is illegal in the US.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm always concerned about misinformation and possibly the loss of income for our Native peoples.

Walrus ivory is *not* illegal to purchase. Walrus can only be hunted by certain indigenous peoples of Alaska and only for food and then the tusks are gathered for carving. There are a number of beautiful pieces for sale in Alaska shops and are a rare source of cash income in remote villages.

Information (x)