Thought of another question. Last one, I promise

Jean1946

If you are using a walker and have a handicap placard, do you need to bring that or do you get a letter from your doctor stating your disability. Hopefully, mine will be limited. But I do have a cruise planned for Sept 12th and I don't see it getting any better without surgery!

Jean,

Don't apologize for asking questions. This forum would have nothing much to talk about if people didn't have questions/comments. :)

As to your disability, I'm unclear if you mean statement from your doctor about disability for flying or for cruising? For the ship, you don't need any notification from your doctor but should bring list of any meds and if your doctor prints any sort of appointment summaries about your condition, you may wish to bring that only in the case of you having an incident or illness while aboard. It could be helpful if the ship's doctor can see that information.

Use your walker and there will be no issue. If you will need special help for life boat drill, you might do well to contact Front Office and explain whatever your situation.

Hope you are able to enjoy your cruise.

Will definitely bring a list of meds. But most of them are not for my problem at the time. I have a ruptured disc and my right leg is numb from the knee down. The walker is to keep me from falling down (as I did frequently before getting the walker) and breaking a hip of something. I do not look disabled, and don't want to be perceived that I'm trying to get away with something.

Hopefully, Wednesday will be the day for a decision. We are flying into Boston, taking a transfer to the ship and flying from Montreal to Atlanta after the cruise.

Many thanks.

Don't let it bother you. Much more of a problem are those who look at people with a handicap placard on their car, but aren't using a cane/walker/crutches/wheelchair.

Its no one else's business what your condition is, or what you need to overcome it.

Have a great cruise!

Jean, you will not need your placard for the ship - but you may want to bring it. If you will rent a car or take any private tours it may come in handy.

And fear not, many people do not "Look" disabled or mobility impaired but are.

A few suggestions to make your cruise a bit easier:

1. make sure your travel agent pre-orders a wheel chair and assistance at the terminal for boarding as it can be a long way to the ship or let HAL know you will need boarding assistance if you booked direct with HAL. Maybe rent a wheel chair for the cruise?? My sister did this as she was recovering from a broken ankle and it made all the difference as it can be a long way from the MDR to the show lounge to the cabin

2. if you are planning on taking any HAL excursions, make sure the shore ex office knows about your disability as they will reserve you a front row seat on the tour bus and will leave a paper on the seat with your name

3. often you will not have to go to the show lounge before your tour but you may be able to go directly to the bus - just ask at the shore ex desk

4. talk with the front desk when you board about the muster drill as they can make special arrangements so you do not have to stand out on deck

don`t worry about using a walker. there will be many others with theirs also.

my wife used an electric scooter many times. you do,however have to make sure

the cabin you book has a door wide enough to allow entry. with a walker this is no problem.

the staff of hal will be very halpful as will be most of your fellow passengers.

after my wife`s passing i am now using the scooter and the only minor difficulty is gaining access to the elevater.

you probably will still have to attend muster drill but i think a wheel chair may be provided.

so put your mind at rest about your walker, and have a wonderful ,enjoyable cruise.

For cruises I rent a walker/rollator to use on the ship.

To look at me, one would think that I don't need one. But they don't have my bad knees or severe spinal stenosis. To make matters worse, this past June I fell and fractured by my #3 lumbar. After wearing a back brace for several weeks, I finally was operated on here the end of July. Still have a lot of problems walking.

The type of walker/rollator that I rent has a seat and that works well as I can sit through the lifeboat drill.

I do carry my handicapped card and placard.

My TA does arrange for me to have wheelchair assistance getting onto the ship on embarkation day and getting off the ship on disembarkation day.

The crew is wonderful in helping me get on and off the ship with the rollator.

Looking at me, no one would realize that I sometimes need a "device" to help me with balance issues. The need is sporadic, but just in case, I take with me a folding walker. Rather than paying the rather high fee charged by the company HAL recommends, I go to Goodwill in advance of the cruise, purchase a walker donated by someone who needed it post-surgery. At the end of the cruise, I donate it to the ship's medical department (they've always been happy to receive it). I benefit and Goodwill benefits. I also carry a folding cane in my luggage just in case. I've had multiple foot surgeries and a viral infection that caused recurrent balance issues. Of course, at home I have a walker by my bedside. But when boarding a cruise ship, it's better to be safe than sorry, and my system works for me.

To make matters worse, this past June I fell and fractured by my #3 lumbar. After wearing a back brace for several weeks, I finally was operated on here the end of July. Still have a lot of problems walking.

KK --

I was not aware of your fall or your surgery. Sending best wishes to you for fast and full recovery. Especially with your fall cruise coming up.

Get well soon...

Best-

Carol

Don't let it bother you. Much more of a problem are those who look at people with a handicap placard on their car, but aren't using a cane/walker/crutches/wheelchair.

Its no one else's business what your condition is, or what you need to overcome it.

Have a great cruise!

Just because someone is not using a cane, wheelchair/walker/crutches when they have a handicapped sticker on their car should not be judged by you & is no concern of yours..:( There is NO law/rule which states we must use a device such as the ones you listed to have a Handicapped placard!

Some people have heart problems, such as my friend who is on his third pacemaker/set of new wires but no one can tell he is handicapped even though he has a permanent handicapped placard..

Believe it or not, my Surgeon insisted (in front of my best friend) that I get a permanent handicapped placard after I had my hip replacement.. My hip almost collapsed on me & I went in for emergency surgery.. I still limp especially when I'm tired as I too have spinal stenosis but I try not to use my cane.. It's always in my car though.. Dr. told me to use the cane when I walk long distances so my other hip doesn't collapse..

When DH is with me I use his arm as my cane but when I walk alone I very often limp, even though my cane is in my car.. I often use my cane when I walk long distances from my car into the store but never when I grocery shop as I use the grocery cart as my cane..When I walk out with my groceries even though I have help from a nice young packer, I am pushing the cart which takes the place of my cane & I'm parked in a Legal Handicapped spot! Please don't judge me!!!:(:(

On the ship I only use my cane if I must walk a long distance & don't have DH with me..SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks for all the advice, etc. I hope tomorrow will have some answers, one way or the other. I can pretty much do well with the walker and will be bringing it with me if I do get to do the cruise.. I may throw in the placard, just in case.

Wish I had made a You Tube of today's almost disaster. We purchased a new set of washer/dryer appliances and was trying to get the old stuff out in preparation for the new ones to be delivered on Thursday. We have a counter on one wall in the computer room that can be moved in the event we did need new appliances. Well, my husband got it on two rollers and into the kitchen,. But, he could not get it into the dining room by himself. He asked me to sit on the floor and move the wheeled thingy so he could move the counter. Well, I got down there and could not get up. I have no strength in my right leg and nothing we did worked. Finally, I scooted on my hinny to the living room as was able to get myself up on the sofa. I was kinda like humpty dumpty.

So, he will have to get the appliance guys to help him get it back into the computer room.

Getting old is not for sissies. Need to find the non-emergency number for assistance if this happens again!

Glad I saw this post. I never really noticed people with a walker on a cruise. My husband has a balance issue now and wondered if he would be able to bring his walker for use on the ship.

Cindy

Glad I saw this post. I never really noticed people with a walker on a cruise. My husband has a balance issue now and wondered if he would be able to bring his walker for use on the ship.

Cindy

Absolutely!

There are a lot of people on our cruises that manage very well with their walkers, and our next door suite mate also rented a scooter to use while on our B2B in March which helped him out greatly.

Denise:)

Thanks for all the advice, etc. I hope tomorrow will have some answers, one way or the other. I can pretty much do well with the walker and will be bringing it with me if I do get to do the cruise.. I may throw in the placard, just in case.

Wish I had made a You Tube of today's almost disaster. We purchased a new set of washer/dryer appliances and was trying to get the old stuff out in preparation for the new ones to be delivered on Thursday. We have a counter on one wall in the computer room that can be moved in the event we did need new appliances. Well, my husband got it on two rollers and into the kitchen,. But, he could not get it into the dining room by himself. He asked me to sit on the floor and move the wheeled thingy so he could move the counter. Well, I got down there and could not get up. I have no strength in my right leg and nothing we did worked. Finally, I scooted on my hinny to the living room as was able to get myself up on the sofa. I was kinda like humpty dumpty.

So, he will have to get the appliance guys to help him get it back into the computer room.

Getting old is not for sissies. Need to find the non-emergency number for assistance if this happens again!

Jean I had to laugh when I read your post, only because I can't get up from the floor without shimmying to a chair either.. In the morning I often have to get on the floor to try to coax my 15 year old pup to eat something... But if DH is not around, I'll crawl into the living or dining room to reach a couch or chair & pull myself up..:eek::D

I agree, getting old is definitely not for sissies!

Edited by serendipity1499