Ketchican taxi?

konatyme

We will be in Ketchican on Thursday, Aug. 27, from 6:30 AM to 1:00 PM. We were planning to catch a city bus out to Totem Bight & back, but are now wondering if a taxi might be a better idea to save valuable time. Does anyone know about taxi availability there and what the approx. cost might be out to Totem Bight? Thanks!

I rented a car from Alaska Car Rental - they are about 5 minutes from the pier and they picked me up and dropped me off at the ship. I had enough time to go to Totem Bight, Settlers cove, and Ward Lake. The ride was beautiful and no traffic once you got away from the pier.

Thank you! We are renting a car in Juneau, but were checking out alternatives in Ketchican, since we aren't there for very long.

We were in Ketchikan until noon, so I had a little over three hours with the car since I couldn't get the rental until 8:00 AM - I felt I got to do a lot more with no rushing by renting the car.

To find the current fare, the best thing to do is call and ask. There are only 5-6 taxi companies in town; use superpages.com and call one of them for an estimate.

Check the bus schedule (Silver Line) to see how it fits with your timeframe. Maybe take the bus one way and taxi the other ?

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/3532

We took the city bus to/from Totem Bight this summer and found it very efficient. If you catch the bus early enough you could be out at Totem Bight before the rental agencies even open. Make note of the taxi phone number and use that as an option for the return.

The bus also stops by Safeway if you need supplies on the way back to the ship.

Edited by Glaciers

We will be in Ketchican on Thursday, Aug. 27, from 6:30 AM to 1:00 PM. We were planning to catch a city bus out to Totem Bight & back, but are now wondering if a taxi might be a better idea to save valuable time. Does anyone know about taxi availability there and what the approx. cost might be out to Totem Bight? Thanks!

We saw taxis right across from the Visitor Centre. Do you know where you dock? If at berth 4, that might make a difference as it is further away. The other 3 berths are right at/by/near the Visitor Centre.

We just returned from a fantastic 12 day Southbound cruisetour with Princess - while in Ketchikan we had booked with another couple (whom we "met" on our Cruise Critic Roll Call) for a trip around the city and outskirts of town with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours (they are easily found online). David (one of the owners) drove us around for almost 4 hours to see all of the sights (Herring Cove, Potlatch Park, and much more). Plenty of stops for photos. David was very knowledgeable and friendly, so we had an excellent time. Cost was $75 per hour....well worth it.