Is This Doable?

baseballsandbows

We are sailing on the POA in January. We are thinking about ziplining in Koloa on Friday. The start time is 8:30, and the tour lasts 3.5 hours, which would put us leaving Koloa about noon or a little after. Koloa is 20 minutes from the Lihue airport where we will need to return our car. All-aboard time is 2:00. I'm thinking that even if we don't leave Koloa until 12:30, we should still have time to make it to the car rental place before 1:00, which leaves us an hour to make it back to the ship (which I think is very close to the airport???). Can anyone confirm that this is doable? We've never been to Kauai, so I am estimating based on mapquest times and mileage.

If everything goes according to plan and you're ready to leave the zipline place by 12 (12:30 seems a bit late), and no traffic delays or wait for the shuttle from the airport to the cruise port - then it should work out.

I'd call the zipline company to get some clarification on what the latest time would be that you'd be ready to leave Koloa. Also, where does the tour finish up? On Koloa Zipline's website, it mentions that you'll be directed from their store in Koloa to the base of the zipline - if that's where the tour finishes, do you need to allow more time to drive back to the airport? (Note that google maps shows that their store is closer to a 30 minute drive to the airport.)

Does the ship sail at 2 p.m. or is that when you have to be back on board?

If everything goes according to plan and you're ready to leave the zipline place by 12 (12:30 seems a bit late), and no traffic delays or wait for the shuttle from the airport to the cruise port - then it should work out.

I'd call the zipline company to get some clarification on what the latest time would be that you'd be ready to leave Koloa. Also, where does the tour finish up? On Koloa Zipline's website, it mentions that you'll be directed from their store in Koloa to the base of the zipline - if that's where the tour finishes, do you need to allow more time to drive back to the airport? (Note that google maps shows that their store is closer to a 30 minute drive to the airport.)

Does the ship sail at 2 p.m. or is that when you have to be back on board?

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I will call Koloa and ask what time we will be back at the car. The times on the NCL website are 8 for all ashore and 2 for all aboard. I don't want to be walking on at 1:59, for sure!

There is a 7:30 tour time as well, which is one hour earlier, but you have to report to the office 30 min before the tour time. I wasn't sure we wanted to try to get there by 7AM! I definitely need to ask some questions before making a final decision.

I would also recommend speaking to the location you'll be renting the car from. They will know what time you need the car back by in order to make it back to the ship on time. Keep in mind, renting cars is very popular on this cruise so there will be a number of people returning cars at once and you may be waiting in a line to check the car back in when you get back. Then there is the wait for the shuttle. The rental office you will be getting the car from is used to this since they do it every week and they will know the time it has to be back to be safe.

~Katy

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I will call Koloa and ask what time we will be back at the car. The times on the NCL website are 8 for all ashore and 2 for all aboard. I don't want to be walking on at 1:59, for sure!

There is a 7:30 tour time as well, which is one hour earlier, but you have to report to the office 30 min before the tour time. I wasn't sure we wanted to try to get there by 7AM! I definitely need to ask some questions before making a final decision.

Better recheck that all aboard time. I just looked at the website and it is showing a 2 PM Departure in Kauai which is the norm for this itinerary, unless something has changed for your specific cruise? That means 1:30 is the all aboard time. The itinerary times on the website and your cruise documents are listing the ship's Arrival and Departure from Port, not "all ashore" and "all aboard" for passengers.

Although the ship very often arrives in port well before the listed arrival time, and you may very often get the OK to go ashore very close to the "arrival" time, it is actually whenever the Captain says the ship is ready.

And unless you get specific instructions otherwise, all aboard is always 30 minutes prior to Port Departure Time, in this case 1:30. I would hate for you to be left behind, although it might not be much of a hardship;).

Although the ship very often arrives in port well before the listed arrival time, and you may very often get the OK to go ashore very close to the "arrival" time, it is actually whenever the Captain says the ship is ready.

OP is on the POA which overnights in Kauai, so there is no arrival issue for the day they want to go ziplining.

I would just bit he bullet and get up super early to get the 7:30am ziplining slot.

I have driven in Kauai numerous times. There are NO freeways, and few alternative side roads. Traffic can be at a stand still. I have experienced this. I'm assuming you have a 2 day rental car- very worthwhile. Your ON BOARD time is 1:30p, with car rental returns needing a 1/2 hour window, so be there at 1pm. You also need to verify the car rental shuttle bus schedule for the last bus. It may be EARLIER, so call them first to verify.

I too would suggest you consider the first tour, then any snags you may run into, will have plenty of time to work out. One snag on the later tour- you could miss your ship. :)

Thanks to all of you for pointing out that the time listed is not the all aboard time. We usually sail Disney, and the times they publish are the all ashore and all aboard times. I didn't realize NCL was different. I will definitely plan on the 7:30 time. This will enable us to relax and enjoy the excursion (and getting up early will help us begin the transition back to central time, right?)

I was thinking we will have to leave the ship between 6:00-6:15 to make it to Koloa by 7:00 for check-in and was worried we might not have options for breakfast, but it looks like some POA breakfast locations open as early as 5 am, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another question: I have booked an 11:00 flight time with Wings Over Kauai on Thursday, the day we arrive in Kauai. The lady at WOK said the 11:00 time will work, even with the new 10 port arrival time because the port is so close to the airport. Some of you mentioned, however, that the 10 is arrival, and not all ashore. Since the WOK lady thinks we will be fine, should I just feel comfortable with that? With a later port arrival, I'm guessing everyone will be getting off at the same time. Will it take us forever to get off the ship?

None of this would be a problem if they hadn't pushed the arrival time back two hours on Thursday! We were planning to zipline and explore on Thursday and do the aerial tour on Friday. Now that we've lost two hours of daylight on Thursday, I'm trying to rearrange to make the most of every hour. I really wish we weren't losing the two hours of time!

Edited by baseballsandbows

In my experience, and not just this itinerary, the time listed as "arrival" is usually pretty close to the time passengers are starting to step off the ship. But my concern with the new 10:00 arrival is that by 10:00 everyone will be ready to go at the same time.

I would look for recent reviews and comments about any difficulties getting off. If the tour operator thinks you can make it OK, then you probably can. Are they picking up?

In my experience, and not just this itinerary, the time listed as "arrival" is usually pretty close to the time passengers are starting to step off the ship. But my concern with the new 10:00 arrival is that by 10:00 everyone will be ready to go at the same time.

I would look for recent reviews and comments about any difficulties getting off. If the tour operator thinks you can make it OK, then you probably can. Are they picking up?

We are supposed to meet the Wings Over Kauai people at the ABC Store for transport to the airport at 10:30. She said it is less than a 10 minute walk from the ship, and she said the airport is very close to the ABC store. I guess I will take her word for it, but will be sure to look for experiences of those who are returning from the cruise and have experience with the new 10:00 arrival time.

We are supposed to meet the Wings Over Kauai people at the ABC Store for transport to the airport at 10:30. She said it is less than a 10 minute walk from the ship, and she said the airport is very close to the ABC store. I guess I will take her word for it, but will be sure to look for experiences of those who are returning from the cruise and have experience with the new 10:00 arrival time.

There are two free shuttles which run continuously to and from the shopping area. If your timing is right you might save some time by jumping on one of those and eliminate the walk, which I would estimate at at least 15 min. I don't recall seeing an ABC store, but we did not do much shopping, just looking for the Mariott and the beach. You might Google for a map of these malls or Kalapaki Beach so you maybe know exactly where you are poing. Anchor Cove is one. Not sure of the other.