Mobile

Did they tear down the old terminal, it was a disaster ..Horrible to get into and horrible to get out. I've sailed into there twice and it was horrible getting out. I won't sail from there again unless they have built a better terminal

They said in one of the news articles they has used the terminal for social events such as proms/receptions recently. I would think the terminal would have to be in fairly nice shape for that? They had to do something I suppose to get some of the money back they had spent on the port before. Lol...as long as the road is paved getting into the port I will be happy at this point!!

I just wanted a port closer to my home and if this happens I will have my wish. I have read articles also stating that Fantasy may be sold? Don't remember where I read that now but wonder if it would be possible... or could they be doing a big makeover like they did on Destiny to change into Sunshine?

Fantasy is in Charleston

Not for much longer. She leaves in February and is headed to Miami. Ecstasy is replacing her in Charleston and Sunshine is doing a handful of cruises from Charleston in 2016.

While I would love to visit Mobile (never been) and do a cruise form there, I have no interest in a 4 or 5 day cruise on a Fantasy class ship.

We cruised out of Mobile 3 times; the first was a total disaster with parking and the wait time in lines inside. the next two times were much better and we enjoyed leaving from there and cruising by the tiny lighthouse in Mobile Bay. Then they left. Glad they will be back.

Did they tear down the old terminal, it was a disaster ..Horrible to get into and horrible to get out. I've sailed into there twice and it was horrible getting out. I won't sail from there again unless they have built a better terminal

Are we talking about the same terminal? I thought it was wonderful. Easiest port to get in and out of, nice and modern, plenty of parking, and some of the friendliest cruise line employees. That alone was enough for me to place cruising out of Mobile at the top of my list.

Hopefully NO state funds are being used for this..

I don't think the state has a penny to spare at the moment.

I think that Mobile will be well positioned for cruises that include a stop in Havana when that opens up to cruise lines; lots of work on infrastructure and the amenities American travelers will expect needed, though.

Mobile (I live here) has always been on the cusp of something big. I think the area is finally about to realize some of its potential, with Airbus, the new GulfQuest Museum about to open (very near the cruise terminal), and new hotels popping up.

I am frankly astonished that Carnival is coming back; most folks here thought that ship had sailed, pardon the bad pun. The previous administration booted it big time by not having an ironclad contract with Carnival, and that omission allowed them to pull out at will - a devastating blow to the area. I will be very interested to hear what ship, what ports, whether year-round or seasonal. Great news, whatever transpires.

They're certainly not going to be building a new terminal anytime soon. They will, I hope, work on a better embarkation/disembarkation experience. The current mayor is a very savvy businessman and will do everything in his power to ensure that this next venture is a success.

What are the Chances...????

I think there are two, Slim and None at this point. (And Slim has moved to Texas as the old saying goes.)

Theyyyyyy're baaaaaack ! I guess the Slim chance won! LOL

I've sailed out of Mobile a few times, never had any trouble. I only live about 45 min. away and can't wait till they announce what ship comes here!

http://wkrg.com/2015/09/03/cruise-ship-return-could-help-pay-off-terminal-debt/

Not simply because I live 30 minutes away, but it's so easy to get in and out of. I have sailed 8 times from the port and it's always been a breeze. Try New Orleans if you want to see what kind of issues are possible getting into and out of a cruise port.

Not simply because I live 30 minutes away, but it's so easy to get in and out of. I have sailed 8 times from the port and it's always been a breeze. Try New Orleans if you want to see what kind of issues are possible getting into and out of a cruise port.

I totally agree. Mobile was awesome when we went on the Elation for a Fort Walton Beach Band Trip. We had so much fun. And so much easier than New Orleans.

Yay!

I am glad to see that Mobile will have some sailings.

Now it will be interesting to see if Carnival just sticks the oldest, smallest and most worn down in Mobile again.

I am thinking that they must have plans that are better than what they did in Mobile in the past.

I did love Holiday, but she was know for stinky smells and brown water.

And although she was clean, she was also worn.

And was the brunt of many jokes and snide remarks on this board.

Then they shut down in Mobile and said it was because they were not making enough money off the cruises.

Well, it was the oldest and most ragged out of their ships, so naturally it sold for less and attracted passengers who did not want to spend a lot of money.

Duh...

Edited by mzloolue

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! Just booked my cruise out of Mobile for Dec 17, 2016 to Cozumel and Progresso. Super excited! :)

It is one of the/the oldest ship, for those who were wondering. It is the Fantasy. They are going to remodel before sailings, they say. It will be getting a Guys Burgers and some other stuff (including a Mexican restaurant of some sort)

Edited by MandiesMom