Mother Daughter trip to NYC 11-11/11-14

Thank you. Yes, I think every working actor in NYC worked on at least one of the various shows (the original L&O is referred to as "The Mother Ship") over the years.

I see you asked about Italian restaurants. I also think Becco is very good, and there are two others on the same side of that block (W. 46th between 8th & 9th; Restaurant Row) that are good: Lattanzi (in addition to traditional Italian, they also have a very interesting Roman-Jewish menu) and Barbetta (opened in 1906, and several movies and TV shows have filmed there: http://www.barbettarestaurant.com/filmed.html)

I refer to it as the Mothership all the time. I picked up that term from a now defunct message board.

I don't even care about my trip now....I'm all L&O happy now. :)

My traveling mate is a HUGE Blue Bloods fan! I wonder if they're shooting while we are there.

I would think so, though there's no way to know this far in advance where they'll be shooting. They started filming on July 9th this year, and they usually do 22 episodes per season. L&O SVU (aka SUV) is also shooting right now.

I'm taking DD15 to NYC for 3 nights, joining us are my friend and her DD16. I need some ideas for what to do.

We want to hit more neighborhoods than the usual tourist spots, although we do want to see some tourist spots too. We have 4 full days and we will use every second of them. Statue of Liberty is a must, (not necessarily the tour, we are fine taking the ferry around the harbor), 9/11 museum is a must too. My grandparents all came through Ellis Island, but I think that will have to wait for another trip (or should it?)

We are Italians from Chicago so Little Italy would be nice, but I'm reading that Mulberry Street isn't what it used to be so should be venture out to to Arthur Avenue?

I'd like to see the lights of Broadway at night; Times Square, Maybe Central Park.

We are probably going to stay in the Financial District although that too is up in the air. Yesterday, I was poking around Southwest's website and they had roundtrip/non stop for $82 each. I had to book it. LOL

Here's a crazy thing I must do....I want to go on the block that Cher walked home the morning after the opera. The small street with the Washington (?) bridge in the background.

Oh another crazy thing is me and the DD are diehard Law and Order fans (LOL) and we need to walk and take pics on the courtroom stairs.

Anyone care to take a shot at an itinerary for me? (I'm really not as big as a nut bag as this post is making me sound, I promise you).

First off Cher was supposed to be walking in Brooklyn I don't recall exactly which bridge but it could have been the Verrazano I would know if I saw the scene again but whatever

You might enjoy a walk over the Brooklyn bridge if the weather is good and what a view of NYC you would get!!!!

Do Ellis island it's a must see and you can view the Statue of Liberty from the ferry to Ellis

View the reflecting pool at the 9/11 memorial as its free but if you want the 9/11 museum you really need timed tix. Btw there is a fake 9/11 museum in the area but you want to be sure you are ordering from the .org site

Forget Arthur avenue the subway ride is too long....enjoy mulberry street and go a block or 2 further and enjoy Chinatown!!!! Stay in manhattan and explore!!! If you really want to see where the Ellis island immigrants lived....then explore the tenement museum in little Italy/lower east side. Pre purchased timed tix are the only way to see it but it is so authentic it will bring tears to your eyes as it did mine....since the museum is an exact replica of living conditions at the turn of the century....and us an actual tenement building and the actual apts where they lived. I could feel the presence of my grandparents in that place!!!

Venture up via subway to Times Square and enjoy. You should look into half price same day play tix at the tkts booth. Everything will be available at some point except lion king or wicked probably but jersey boys. Kinky boots. Etc should be available but one never really knows

A stroll they Central Park is very nice

Rockefeller center

St Patrick's

The above 3 can be done together in about 2 hours

I love manhattan but also love living a 30 minute train ride away too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

First off Cher was supposed to be walking in Brooklyn I don't recall exactly which bridge but it could have been the Verrazano I would know if I saw the scene again but whatever

You might enjoy a walk over the Brooklyn bridge if the weather is good and what a view of NYC you would get!!!!

Do Ellis island it's a must see and you can view the Statue of Liberty from the ferry to Ellis

View the reflecting pool at the 9/11 memorial as its free but if you want the 9/11 museum you really need timed tix. Btw there is a fake 9/11 museum in the area but you want to be sure you are ordering from the .org site

Forget Arthur avenue the subway ride is too long....enjoy mulberry street and go a block or 2 further and enjoy Chinatown!!!! Stay in manhattan and explore!!! If you really want to see where the Ellis island immigrants lived....then explore the tenement museum in little Italy/lower east side. Pre purchased timed tix are the only way to see it but it is so authentic it will bring tears to your eyes as it did mine....since the museum is an exact replica of living conditions at the turn of the century....and us an actual tenement building and the actual apts where they lived. I could feel the presence of my grandparents in that place!!!

Venture up via subway to Times Square and enjoy. You should look into half price same day play tix at the tkts booth. Everything will be available at some point except lion king or wicked probably but jersey boys. Kinky boots. Etc should be available but one never really knows

A stroll they Central Park is very nice

Rockefeller center

St Patrick's

The above 3 can be done together in about 2 hours

I love manhattan but also love living a 30 minute train ride away too. Lol

WOW! thank you.

Also in conjunction with little Italy and the Brooklyn bridge you can certainly add in the courtroom stairs

But definitely have a map...a paper one is actually better than iPhone because you really need to see the entire section of manhattan you are in to keep your bearings

Sometimes it's just old school all the way. Lol

If you are lucky you will see filming of any number of shows in the lower manhattan area as the time you are there is not usually hiatus I believe

Also within the few block radius of the New York stock exchange you will find trinity church (national treasure) and a federal building (free))museum thing...I forgot the name...but George Washington gave a speech there I believe. Nice little place btw

Feel free to skip the south street seaport IMHO but you may want to venture there if time permits

Doing a half way walk over the Brooklyn bridge is much better and wow factor is incredible

Wear good walking shoes and an across your chest travel type purse and dress casual and comfortable for everything. Including evening broadway plays!!

Edited by luvtheships

Also within the few block radius of the New York stock exchange you will find trinity church (national treasure) and a federal building (free))museum thing...I forgot the name...but George Washington gave a speech there I believe.

That's Federal Hall on Wall Street, diagonally across from the NY Stock Exchange, built on the site of the NY City Hall, built in 1703, which later served as the first capitol building of the U.S., as well as the site of George Washington's inauguration as the first President. That building was demolished in 1812 and replaced by the present building. There was a bombing on the site in 1920. The blast killed 30 people immediately, and another eight died later of wounds sustained in the blast. There were 143 seriously injured, and the total number of injured was in the hundreds. The bombing was never solved, but anarchists were suspected. A couple of blocks north of Trinity Church abd Wall Street is St. Paul's Chapel, which Washington attended during his Presidency. The rear of St. Paul's Chapel (and its cemetery) is directly opposite the east side of the World Trade Center site. After the attack on 9/11 St. Paul's Chapel served as a place of rest and refuge for recovery workers at the WTC site. For eight months, hundreds of volunteers worked 12-hour shifts around the clock, serving meals, making beds, counseling and praying with fire fighters, construction workers, police and others. Massage therapists, chiropractors (who used George Washington's enclosed pew at one point), podiatrists and musicians also tended to their needs. The church survived without even a broken window.

BTW, if you get tired of tall buildings and tourist sites, you should go walking around the tree-lined streets of Greenwich Village. Streets in the Village pre-date the grid pattern of most of Manhattan (at one point, Waverly Place actually crosses itself, which is difficult to explain, but you'll understand when you see it). This is a fascinating city (we once had a Royal Governor prior to the Revolution---Lord Cornbury---who was reputed to dress in women's clothing and pop out from behind trees to frighten people). I strongly suggest you buy a NYC guidebook before you arrive.

Edited by Langoustine

That's Federal Hall on Wall Street, diagonally across from the NY Stock Exchange, built on the site of the NY City Hall, built in 1703, which later served as the first capitol building of the U.S., as well as the site of George Washington's inauguration as the first President. That building was demolished in 1812 and replaced by the present building. There was a bombing on the site in 1920. The blast killed 30 people immediately, and another eight died later of wounds sustained in the blast. There were 143 seriously injured, and the total number of injured was in the hundreds. The bombing was never solved, but anarchists were suspected. A couple of blocks north of Trinity Church abd Wall Street is St. Paul's Chapel, which Washington attended during his Presidency. The rear of St. Paul's Chapel (and its cemetery) is directly opposite the east side of the World Trade Center site. After the attack on 9/11 St. Paul's Chapel served as a place of rest and refuge for recovery workers at the WTC site. For eight months, hundreds of volunteers worked 12-hour shifts around the clock, serving meals, making beds, counseling and praying with fire fighters, construction workers, police and others. Massage therapists, chiropractors (who used George Washington's enclosed pew at one point), podiatrists and musicians also tended to their needs. The church survived without even a broken window.

BTW, if you get tired of tall buildings and tourist sites, you should go walking around the tree-lined streets of Greenwich Village. Streets in the Village pre-date the grid pattern of most of Manhattan (at one point, Waverly Place actually crosses itself, which is difficult to explain, but you'll understand when you see it). This is a fascinating city (we once had a Royal Governor prior to the Revolution---Lord Cornbury---who was reputed to dress in women's clothing and pop out from behind trees to frighten people). I strongly suggest you buy a NYC guidebook before you arrive.

This is exactly the stuff I'm looking for. Like I said earlier I live in Chicago, and have worked downtown for 25 year +. I get the "city". I want to be a bit of a tourist in New York, but not a "raving running around the city, trying to get it all done in 4 days" kind of tourist.

Also in conjunction with little Italy and the Brooklyn bridge you can certainly add in the courtroom stairs

But definitely have a map...a paper one is actually better than iPhone because you really need to see the entire section of manhattan you are in to keep your bearings

Sometimes it's just old school all the way. Lol

If you are lucky you will see filming of any number of shows in the lower manhattan area as the time you are there is not usually hiatus I believe

Also within the few block radius of the New York stock exchange you will find trinity church (national treasure) and a federal building (free))museum thing...I forgot the name...but George Washington gave a speech there I believe. Nice little place btw

Feel free to skip the south street seaport IMHO but you may want to venture there if time permits

Doing a half way walk over the Brooklyn bridge is much better and wow factor is incredible

Wear good walking shoes and an across your chest travel type purse and dress casual and comfortable for everything. Including evening broadway plays!!

I like the idea of half way on the Brooklyn Bridge. Thank you. J

ust bought me a new crossbody metallic MK purse. I'm ready. :)

I like the idea of half way on the Brooklyn Bridge. Thank you. J

ust bought me a new crossbody metallic MK purse. I'm ready. :)

Yes definitely just use the cross body. Never ever a need in any big city for an on the shoulder tote or anything like that. I'm a big less is more person while traveling or even visiting nearby places. I always want my hands free and my bag secure.

While some folks brag about going the entire way over the bridge...there us supposed to be some good pizza and ice cream place there I believe.... I personally think its just a waste of precious downtown NYC time to go all the way over

When you do this walk you will understand that going half or 3/4 over and then back is just perfect and will allow for great views and photo ops

Edited by luvtheships

One of our days, we're doing a bus tour with On Board Tours. They have several to choose from....we chose See It All Tour. The Staten Island ferry and a trip past the SOL is included. It gets good reviews and the guide gets off with you...different than a HOHO bus.

What about the observation deck of the ESB or the top of the rock?

Top of new World trade center opened a few months ago I can not wait to do that

I hadn't thought about that.

Here's the link to the tours I mentioned in the other thread I posted and the world trade center.

http://newyorktours.onboardtours.com/

https://oneworldobservatory.com/

Edited by midwestchick

I live in Chicago, and have worked downtown for 25 year +. I get the "city". I want to be a bit of a tourist in New York, but not a "raving running around the city, trying to get it all done in 4 days" kind of tourist.

I think that's very wise. Just take your time and enjoy. Let it flow over you. BTW, I grew up in Evanston, and my father had a drugstore at Dearborn and Division for many years, near Butch McGuire's Saloon---and that's another story...