Whale Watching Timing

dijid

My family will be cruising to Alaska in June next year. Our family's top choice is to go whale watching, so I called Harv & Marv to try to book a private tour for when we're in Juneau. They weren't booking 2016 at that time, but got back to me the other day with two tour choices. Neither really appeals to me, and I thought I'd get opinions, because maybe I'm just over thinking it.

We'll be in port 10-8, although NCL says we should be on board 1 hour prior to departure. We want to go to the Mendenhall Glacier and hike around, do some shopping in port, and see the state capitol (even if it's closed to visitors - we're "collecting" capitols). We were considering renting a car and driving up the coast on the road to nowhere, but aren't definite on this.

Harv & Marv offered 12:00-4:30 or 3:00-7:30 (which is 1/2 hour AFTER we're supposed to be on board)

The earlier one would I guess allow us 2 hours to walk to the capitol in the am, do shopping and then get dropped off at the glacier after the tour. But it's about the absolute worst lighting conditions for photography and smack dab in the middle of the day, completely killing renting a car and driving the road to nowhere.

If we did the evening (for better lighting) we'd have to rent a car or pay for round trip to the glacier (because drop off isn't possible) and we'd be sweating missing the boat. Or we'd ask them to cut it short, which means we don't get our $$$ worth.

I have confirmed that these times can not be changed. Our other options are to spend more to go with Weather Permitting Alaska (who will work with us on timing and potentially get us right off the boat) or Orca Expeditions (less $$, but we lose the private excursion).

Anyone want to chime in with their experiences as to what might work best. Thanks.

The Harv and Marv trip is really fantastic- but I can't compare it to the other options. Does your family have the whole Harv and Marv boat to yourselves? If so you might be able to be creative- maybe they can pick you up at the Glacier instead of the ship (glacier is closer to where their boat departs... this will cut down on overall time)... and when we went, they took us to the Glacier for about 20 min or so after the boat trip before returning us to the ship. If you've already been there, they could shave off that part and maybe get you back to the ship earlier, without compromising on the whale watching.

If none of this can be done, I'd go with the earlier time. You don't want to be stressing about missing the boat the whole time.... H&M are pretty good about knowing what's possible though- do they know the timing for your ship? I doubt they'd offer something that wasn't doable.

First- your on board time is 7:30p. Has H&M verified they will have you back to the ship then? IF this is their schedule- then you can simply, go to Mendenhall independently prior to the tour. IF H&M can't pick you up, at Mendenhall, then just take a cab to their dock.

I find it "interesting" the "must do" thinking H&M has, especially since this company has been sold, with the original Harv and Marv- no longer the endearing cpts. who started this business. :) Anyway[ if you have to stay with this company, then you have been told what is available and will need to decide. I gave a doable alternative to include a whale watch and Mendenhall. The state Capital, is walkable from the docks, IF no mobility limitations, you would be passing plenty of shopping. Rent a car elsewhere, depending on your priority?

First- your on board time is 7:30p. Has H&M verified they will have you back to the ship then? IF this is their schedule- then you can simply, go to Mendenhall independently prior to the tour. IF H&M can't pick you up, at Mendenhall, then just take a cab to their dock.

I find it "interesting" the "must do" thinking H&M has, especially since this company has been sold, with the original Harv and Marv- no longer the endearing cpts. who started this business. :) Anyway[ if you have to stay with this company, then you have been told what is available and will need to decide. I gave a doable alternative to include a whale watch and Mendenhall. The state Capital, is walkable from the docks, IF no mobility limitations, you would be passing plenty of shopping. Rent a car elsewhere, depending on your priority?

I didn't know the original owners sold the company. Has this changed the reviews at all? Any differences reported?

NCL's website lists our onboard time as one hour prior. I did point that out to H&M and the response was that those were the only times available and that hopefully we could make that work. I don't know if that's a guarantee to get us back in time or not.

I didn't know they were sold either. They are my first choice because it's the least expensive private tour option for my family and the deposit is fully refundable at this point.

NCL's website lists our onboard time as one hour prior. I did point that out to H&M and the response was that those were the only times available and that hopefully we could make that work. I don't know if that's a guarantee to get us back in time or not.

I didn't know they were sold either. They are my first choice because it's the least expensive private tour option for my family and the deposit is fully refundable at this point.

NCL's website states port time- onboard time is 1 hour prior? I've sailed NCL over 40 times and it's always been 1/2 hour, including my 4 Alaska NCL cruises last year, including the Pearl.

With any independent vendor- you can pretty much depend on their recommendations for schedules. You don't hear of reports with people missing ships.

H&M was sold a couple years ago.

NCL's website states port time- onboard time is 1 hour prior? I've sailed NCL over 40 times and it's always been 1/2 hour, including my 4 Alaska NCL cruises last year, including the Pearl.

From NCL's FAQ on "What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

My opinion: take the midday run. Yes, photographically the light quality is better other times, but the quantity can get away from you if you get too close to sunrise/sunset, and you have more risk of shooting "up-sun" if the sun's not directly overhead, which washes out your pictures. Remember that no matter how private you are _ON_ the boat, it's still public waters, so you WILL be whale watching "WITH" other boats. Those boats, plus other marine mammal restrictions, means the captain simply cannot reposition the boat so you can be shooting down-sun the whole time.

Our Victoria whale watch was almost a complete bust because of sunset time and the fact that we were frequently shooting almost due west, directly towards the sun. The unlit sit of an orca dorsal fin against the unlit side of some surface chop with a bright background makes for a garbage photo.

From NCL's FAQ on "What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

Post your question on the NCL site for what people experienced this year, in Alaska, on your ship.

Our all aboard time on Princess has always been 1/2 hour in the past, for 6 cruises. This year, it was suddenly 1 hour in most ports. Really annoying with any short port times, like Ketchikan.

I fail to see why the sale of H&M has anything to do whatsoever with these folks wanting to go whale watching with them:rolleyes:? Huh??!!??

The OP stated in their first post that they wanted the small boat experience - which H&M offers. It should be noted that both the original 'Harv' and 'Marv' DO occassionally captain the boats as their schedules and willingness to do so permit. I've experienced that myself with Jay as our captain in recent years - while booking, we simply specifically asked if Captain Jay was available our day in port, and our request was granted. That being said, the other captains all provide excellent guiding service and a fun, informative, and more personalized whale watching experience; due in part to the 6 pack boats or even the 12-18 passenger boat.

So rjm11, the answer is no, the sale of H&M has not, to my knowledge, resulted in a decline of service or any negative reviews of their small boat whale watching experience. They remain a very well-respected, well- run whale watching provider in the Juneau community.

I do hope the OP can work out a suitable arrangement to go w/one of H&M's offered times for their excursion. I'm confident if they do, they won't be disappointed - whether or not they are lucky enough to get one of the original owners as their captain.

And no, I am not affiliated in any way, shape or form with H&M - just a long time satisfied customer:D.