Oh no....., not another London Trip Report!!

We continued on to take a close look at Tower Bridge, which has become an iconic symbol of London.

Architecture really fascinates me and I decided to take photos of the bridge from different angles.

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

DSC_0755.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

more to follow

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

We walked across the bridge to the south bank of the Thames. On the bridge we got some great views of City Hall and the "Shard", an 87-story skyscraper

DSC_0609.JPG

as well as of the so called "Gherkin" or St. Mary's Axe Building, a bullet shaped, commercial skyscraper in the financial district of London.

IMG_1871.JPG

more to follow

and then continued on to Union Street in search of street signs decorated by one of my favorite street artists, Clet Abraham.

Well, it seemed like the city replaced most of the old street signs with fancy new ones and unfortunately the street sign artwork disappeared with them in this part of town. Hopefully they sold the signs to collectors! During our street sign search we accidentally found this old graveyard, called Crossroads. It was closed due to overcrowding. Legend says that it was a cemetery for prostitutes. People are now campaigning for a permanent memorial garden. The gates are decorated by ribbons, flowers and messages.

IMG_1875.JPG

DSC_0661.JPG

DSC_0662.JPG

It started to rain heavily and we decided to find the closest tube station to get lunch in Covent Gardens. I guess everybody else had the same idea. The restaurant were really crowded, but we still enjoyed our food.

My DH wanted to go back to the hotel to take one of his famous power naps. I only get grouchy after sleeping for a short while and therefore decided to explore the area around the hotel with my camera.

Here are some impressions

IMG_1800.JPG

DSC_0526.JPG

This bush is really trying to find a place to grow in the concrete jungle

DSC_0378.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

DSC_0867.JPG

I found a Starbucks and while my drink was being prepared, I experimented with taking photos of people through the hole in this cup on the store's window

IMG_1783.JPG

After a few minutes, I was approached by a man in a suit asking me why I was taking pictures of New Scotland Yard! He was very friendly, but firm, and after examining the photos

IMG_1784.JPG

found me to be non threatening. Thankfully!

more to come

In the late afternoon we ventured out to Hyde Park.

We visited Speakers' Corner where lots of men where loudly discussing things that were obviously very dear and important to them.

DSC_0679.JPG

We walked along the Bayswater Rd side of the park which was not too crowded at this time of the day

IMG_1877.JPG

DSC_0695.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

until we reached Victoria Gate Lodge.

I had read about this tucked away 19th century pet cemetery which is unfortunately not open to the public. You can get a good look at the tiny headstones by parting the vegetation along a fence on Bayswater Road.

IMG_1884.JPG

I felt like a paparazzi taking the following photos.

This is what we discovered

DSC_0688.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

We continued our walk through residential neighborhoods, which are undergoing a lot of renovations. The area seems to be up and coming. I really liked the back alleys with access to the homes.

IMG_1853.JPG

DSC_0702.JPG

more to follow

After about 30 minutes we reached "Little Venice", a very picturesque area with riverboat lined canals. We walked around this leafy pocket of London for a while and enjoyed the boats and their wonderful "front yards". It was hard to believe that you are just minutes away from a bustling metropolis.

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG

The "back alleys" you liked are called 'Mews'. They were originally the back of grand houses where they kept the horses and carriages. Naturally the grooms and stable boys slept there too.

Later they were mostly converted to garage the Rolls Royce or Bentley, and later still converted again to become the small (and highly desirable) houses that they are today.

The 'Gherkin" in St Mary Axe is built on the site where my grandmother ran a pub. It only opened at lunch time and her main customers were journalists from Fleet Street and lawyers from the Inns of Court.

Edited by Bob++

The "back alleys" you liked are called 'Mews'. They were originally the back of grand houses where they kept the horses and carriages. Naturally the grooms and stable boys slept there too.

Later they were mostly converted to garage the Rolls Royce or Bentley, and later still converted again to become the small (and highly desirable) houses that they are today.

The 'Gherkin" in St Mary Axe is built on the site where my grandmother ran a pub. It only opened at lunch time and her main customers were journalists from Fleet Street and lawyers from the Inns of Court.

Thank you so much for your enlightening comments, Bob++!

I don't know how else I would have come across this information other than from a local. I really love your contributions!

I love your photos & short write-up and your walking tour of London. We are planning to go next May through Southampton on our way to Ireland & Iceland cruise. I am start planning the London stopover (4 days) before cruising. So if possible you can email me (blrabbit@hotmail.com) regarding you route & hotel info.:D

Thanks,

Bob

I love your photos & short write-up and your walking tour of London. We are planning to go next May through Southampton on our way to Ireland & Iceland cruise. I am start planning the London stopover (4 days) before cruising. So if possible you can email me (blrabbit@hotmail.com) regarding you route & hotel info.:D

Thanks,

Bob

You've got mail!

Appreciate the nice pictures from London. Brings back wonderful memories for us from that city with so much character, charming, history, architectures, culture, etc. Keep up the good postings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 184,754 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

DAY 3

"Great Vistas and lots of Street Art"

On our last full day in London, we visited the Sky Garden at 20 Fenchurch Street (Walkie Talkie Building). This attraction is absolutely free, but you have to reserve an entry slot to eliminate overcrowding. You can do this up to 2 weeks ahead of time. Since we were cruising during the booking period, I was not too optimistic about being able to visit. But wouldn't you know it....I was able to reserve the first available appointment on a Monday morning. Perfect!

Here are some pictures of the building itself. As said before, I love angles

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

DSC_0863.JPG

An elevator whizzed us up to the top floor.

The Sky Garden is wonderfully designed and maintained

DSC_0806.JPG

DSC_0841.JPG

Edited by Ssislandgirl

DSC_0842.JPG

Notice the window cleaners over our heads

DSC_0853.JPG

to keep the views spectacularly clear

DSC_0779.JPG

The viewing terrace is secured by an 8 foot glass barrier, which is slightly tinted. Therefore some of my photos have a "funny" color. Maybe someone could cut photo slots in like in the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Just a suggestion...:rolleyes:

Here are some impressions

The Shard

DSC_0777.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

more to come

After experiencing modern architecture, we decided to immerse ourselves in modern street art next and spent the whole remainder of the day wandering through the streets and back alleys of Spitalsfield and Shoreditch.

The area is absolutely incredible. It is like a huge outdoor showcase or museum. There is artwork all around you, not necessarily right in front of you, but often hidden in niches, on top of street signs or chiseled into the walls. There is no admission fee. Signs like "Do not touch" or "No photography" do not exist. On the contrary, you are invited to experience everything up close and personnel. There isn't really a "museums guide" or handbook telling you exactly where to find the masterworks you are looking for and some of the inventory might change on a day to day basis without notice. Just walk around and enjoy yourself!

All of these artists are non-commissioned. This means, they didn't get paid for their hard work, but (most) of them get the approval of the owners of the building to display their work to enlighten you as a patron. It is very colorful, bizarre and sometimes almost overwhelming to take it all in.

Follow us through the "Shoreditch Outdoor Gallery of Street Art" if you like.

I know, it is not everybody's taste and style. It is edgy, sometimes weird and different, but very fascinating and entertaining to me.

Because I am limited to 6 pictures per post, let's start with the architecture first. You are leaving the corporate gleam of the modern city behind and enter older areas, trying to preserve their historical charm. Some people might call it "Hipsterfication".

DSC_0873.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

more to follow