Review: Radiance Alaska Northbound - August 2015 plus DIY land

EMED2010

Monday, August 17, 2015 – Turnagain Arm / Palmer

There was one more stop I wanted to make before we went to our bed & breakfast. I wanted to stop in Wasilla and see the Iditarod Headquarters. I knew they were supposed to have puppies!

DSC_0367_zpszcwyg3hs.jpg

DSC_0371_zpssfqrcu9o.jpg

We went in and the girl told us she has just started a film so we went in and got seats. It was an interesting film and was about 20 minutes. Afterward we looked around at the trophies and pictures that they had.

DSC_0374_zps9rt2wbon.jpg

We also got a few things in the giftshop. I asked where the puppies were because I had seen cages outside but they were empty. She said the dogs had not been there and all sled rides had been canceled for the last two days because of the rain. It had made the ground too muddy.

We continued on to Palmer where we would be staying at Alaska Garden Gate Bed & Breakfast. Or so we thought. When we arrived, there were a lot of buildings so the guys waited in the car and Jennifer and I looked for the office. We had rented the only two king bedroom/two bath apartment that this place had. First, it was a cost savings. The split price of this one room was less than getting two separate rooms. Second, we thought it would be fun to have a shared living room to kick back and relax that evening. This was a beautiful looking place and most of the building looked new. The girl at the office asked our names and when we told her she said to wait a minute she was going to get the owner. Okay. I didn’t say anything to Jennifer but I had a feeling something was up. When the owner got there, she said there was a problem with our room. The previous occupants were still in it because the man and broken his ankle and was getting surgery. She said we had several options. We could either take two separate rooms and she would charge us the same amount or there was another B&B that we could stay at where we would have the same set up. We decided to look at the two rooms she had. Well the first room she showed us was a separate building with a kind bed, garden tub, shower, separate tiny two person sitting room. Really nice but no room for guests to sit. The second room she showed us was way down a path away from this one but in the basement of their own home. This one had a bedroom with a queen bed plus bunk bed with no windows and very small. It had a living room that we could have all fit in but who wanted that bedroom. The other thing was, you could hear people walking around above. We decided to let her take us to this other B&B. She drove in car and we followed and the other place was about 15 minutes away. The owner was supposed to leave the key outside and she was away at dinner. The key was not there, we all looked. Our B&B owner made several calls. We are all standing in the rain searching for this key. Finally we get through and she gives us a lock box code to get into the maids building where the key was – not outside like she said. We go and look and really at this point, I was ready to stay in the car. The place was nice; we got it for the same price so we thanked her and moved our stuff in. The new place was called Alaska Adventures Unlimited Chalets. Apparently they do tours as well.

image11_zpsulfmxuc8.jpg

We were really hungry by now because it was around 8:30 or so. While the guys were in the car waiting for us at the first place, they were looking for a place to eat. They said they found a sports bar they wanted to try because they were looking for preseason football. We found this place in Wasilla and it was pretty much a dive. The food was okay but Jennifer and I agreed that it was the first and last time the guys picked a restaurant.

We stopped at store on the way back for some supplies. The B&B we were staying at provided eggs, milk, muffins, bagels, cereal, etc. in the refrigerator but we wanted to get some reindeer sausage. We headed back to our new home for the night. We lit a fire and watched some TV and Kenny made us some coffee. They had a grinder and all kinds of coffee syrups. Tomorrow we would have a nice breakfast together in the cabin and then head for Denali with stops at Independence Mine and Talkeetna.

You continue to delight us with your informative posts and spectacular pictures. I wish we had time after our planned cruise next year to have a land trip, but due to work commitments we can't. Meantime we are enjoying your trip with you. Our weather here in the north of Scotland looks like yours in Alaksa , ite cold wet and miserable.

Continue to enjoy your trip, best wishes to you all, Jean.:)

Really enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. As many others have said, reading along and seeing your pics makes me more excited for our cruise next Aug.

Wondering how you found The Breeze Inn, in Seward. We plan on staying in Seward for 2 nights before our southbound cruise and are trying to decide right now on where to book. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thx :)

You continue to delight us with your informative posts and spectacular pictures. I wish we had time after our planned cruise next year to have a land trip, but due to work commitments we can't. Meantime we are enjoying your trip with you. Our weather here in the north of Scotland looks like yours in Alaksa , ite cold wet and miserable.

Continue to enjoy your trip, best wishes to you all, Jean.:)

Ooh Scotland! That's in my top five bucket list. I'm hoping we can get there within the next five years.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have some really pretty Denali pictures.:)

Really enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. As many others have said, reading along and seeing your pics makes me more excited for our cruise next Aug.

Wondering how you found The Breeze Inn, in Seward. We plan on staying in Seward for 2 nights before our southbound cruise and are trying to decide right now on where to book. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thx :)

Thanks! I lived off of other people's reviews when I was planning so I wanted to give back.

The Breeze Inn was nice. It's a typical motel set up. Our room was newly refurbished and a nice size. I would have had no problem staying there for an extended day and would stay there again if I came back to Seward. One of the nice things is that there were lots of restaurants within walking distance and if you are going on any boating excursions you can walk there as well.

Hey, great review and pictures. Will be goin to Alaska next week, on Rcl Jewel Ots. Can't wait. When your ship was docked in Juneau, was it next to Tracy's Crab Shack, and was it crowded? The Jewel is due in Juneau on Sept 13 at noon til 9 p.m. Thanks.

Virginia

Yes and yes. If you look at the picture of Tracy's you can see the ship right behind it. You stand in line to give your food order and pay. They give you a number but you have to find a seat and then they call your name out and deliver. Then right across is where you can get your drinks. It seemed to move quickly.

INTERLUDE: While going over the beginning of my review, I found something that broke my little OCD heart. I have missed an entire post from the dogsledding on my Juneau day. Between post #38 where we landed and post #39 where we met the puppies, there was supposed to be a post with pictures from the dogsledding and meeting the dogs and seeing the sleds. Since I want this review to be complete, I am going to add that post here even though the fact that it is out of chronological order drives me crazy! I will change the font color of this post to show that it doesn’t belong. So consider the following post to be #38 ½.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 – Juneau

When we landed, we were told to follow the roped pathway. They divided us into groups of three. Doug and I went to the sled to the left and Jennifer, Kenny and the Norwegian went to the right. They pulled a young boy from another group to go with us. I chose the first seat because I wanted to get good pictures, Doug sat behind me and the musher stood behind him. Then there was a rope with another seat where you had the choice to sit or stand. The boy stood. The seats were wood and since it was still pouring, they were soaked. I chose not to invest in rain pants before I left and had on jeans. Word of advice: BUY RAINPANTS. There is nothing like sitting down in a seat that you know is wet and being instantly soaked. Oh and it was pretty darn cold there too. I think high 30’s low 40’s. My inappropriate gloves were soaked and useless. BUT…I had the best time ever! It was so much fun. The dogs were excited, but other than that there was a peaceful stillness that is hard to explain.

129_zps0braziyl.jpg

135_zpsxvfysguq.jpg

They stopped twice to give the dogs a break. The first time, we were introduced to the dogs.

137_zps6fkqtosj.jpg

138_zpsbch9o05g.jpg

139_zpsx7ljgf1q.jpg

151_zpsvxknptqk.jpg

When you were in Juneau which company did you use for the Dog sled? This review is really wonderful as I have already requested bookings with all the same companies. Did you hear anything about the White Pass and Yukon Railroad when you were in Skagway?

Thank You for your response. Paul

When you were in Juneau which company did you use for the Dog sled? This review is really wonderful as I have already requested bookings with all the same companies. Did you hear anything about the White Pass and Yukon Railroad when you were in Skagway?

Thank You for your response. Paul

We used Coastal Helicopters. The railroad sounded great. The only reason I didn't book it was that I wanted to spend some time at Emerald Lake. If we ever return to Skagway, I would book the train ride to try it out.

We used Coastal Helicopters. The railroad sounded great. The only reason I didn't book it was that I wanted to spend some time at Emerald Lake. If we ever return to Skagway, I would book the train ride to try it out.

Thank you for your response. We already contacted them and waiting to book. I'm a train collector and have a White Pass and Yukon Engine for my model trains so it will be fun to actually ride the train.:D

Yes and yes. If you look at the picture of Tracy's you can see the ship right behind it. You stand in line to give your food order and pay. They give you a number but you have to find a seat and then they call your name out and deliver. Then right across is where you can get your drinks. It seemed to move quickly.

Hi, and thanks. Can't wait to go.

Virginia

Thank you for your response. We already contacted them and waiting to book. I'm a train collector and have a White Pass and Yukon Engine for my model trains so it will be fun to actually ride the train.:D

If the model isn't too big, you should bring it with you. It would make a nice photo opp.

Beautiful review. I may have missed it, but could you give some recommendations as to brand of rainwear and how much you needed to layer?

Booked for May 2016 and your pictures make me want to go now!

I believe you will have colder weather in May so temperature wise I can't say. I always wore a base layer of a tank top underneath long sleeve tees. I hate bulk and not being able to move. I'm also not fond of turtlenecks but you will see my sister-in-law wore them a lot. She also had nice rain pants by Columbia that she got at Bass Pro Shops. She wore them for the dog sledding and fishing and they kept her dry. I wish I would have gotten them. She also had a nice pair of waterproof hiking boots from Columbia as well. She had a fluffy parka which roles up into a little ball and packed into a small drawstring bag that was regally nice.

I started collecting clothes for the trip after I booked so I didn't have to spend it all at the same time. I actually bought everything online. NorthFace 3-way jacket. You can wear it altogether or just wear either layer, fleece or waterproof outer by itself. My jacket was a previous season so it was a little cheaper. I got a pair of waterproof sneakers by Keen from Zulilly. The waterproof rain boots were by Kamick and they worked great. I ordered them from Amazon.

It all depends on what is comfortable for you but I highly recommend waterproof.

Thank you for all of your review and pictures and tips. We had decided to take the Alaska cruise but you really made us want to go.

Thanks for the info on where you got the clothing. I just have one question. Where did you get the bear had? For some reason I just love that hat. I definitely need to get one. I may only be able to wear it on that cruise but it just really tickled me.

Sherry