What is off-season for cruising?

waterwatcher

This thread was originally posted in the Carnival forum. Since Carnival tends to focus on the Caribbean year round with the majority of its fleet in the Caribbean and Bahamas, my original response was in that context -- cruising during the Caribbean off season.

Outside of that context, all the other responses are correct -- there is no real off season for cruising since it is essentially world wide.

I have found the 3 or so weeks immediately following Thanksgiving to have exceptionally good rates. I will say however, if flying to the port, you'll get much better airfare if you avoid flying out Thanksgiving weekend or flying home the weekend before Christmas. That's how we ended up choosing our cruise on December 6 this year - great prices on both cruise fare and airfare.

From the UK, there's a cheap slot just before the Christmas break, and immediately after the New Year, on ships which have remained at their home port before setting off on their world cruises soon after New Year.

Other ships have already fled to the Caribbean or Canaries for the winter season, and not many people want to sail down, then back up the Atlantic coastline and through the Bay of Biscay for a single week...we love it! :cool:

Was just wondering what is considered off-season for cruises? What time of year would you get the best rates?

OP, I don't know if you're still checking this post, but it might have been better to ask what is considered "off-peak ?". Off-peak periods are when the demand is lower and you typically find lower prices. And, there's something else to consider. The older ships that have fewer on board amenities are usually cheaper than the newer ships that have all of the "bells and whistles". Of course, those older ships typically only do the short itineraries, the ones that are three, four, or five days, which are typically the Bahamas or Western Caribbean.