Places to Stay in LA and Transportation

CBCruiser1960

Shuttle or black car or similar is the way to go. Takes about an hour.

Steve--Thanks for the price comparison. Public transportation for one person is cheaper. But not for two and it can take up to 4 hours to get to Pomona from San Pedro.

Per person costs-Super Shuttle to LAX ($17), Union Station Flyaway bus ($8), Metrolink train to Pomona ($12).

There is a bus and train to Union Station but it's (the bus) NOT conducive to anything more than a tote held in your lap.

We take the trains/bus to Long Beach and drive to San Pedro.

Visitors to our area have absolutely no idea how large 'Los Angeles' is. There's a reason we talk time, not distance.

Edited by SadieN

...Visitors to our area have absolutely no idea how large 'Los Angeles' is. There's a reason we talk time, not distance.

Very true! I will add that public transportation will take you through some dicey areas if you are going any distance at all, so I avoid it in L.A. in general. It is not just a time/distance thing with public transit in L.A., but a safety thing also. I'm sure I'll get flamed by someone for saying this, but I'm just giving my honest opinion.

Very true! I will add that public transportation will take you through some dicey areas if you are going any distance at all, so I avoid it in L.A. in general. It is not just a time/distance thing with public transit in L.A., but a safety thing also. I'm sure I'll get flamed by someone for saying this, but I'm just giving my honest opinion.

It's a comfort issue. Mom, Sis and I are taking the trains to Long Beach this Saturday. We've done this many times (they park at Union Station, $6/day) and have plans to do so in November and January. The downside is the time it takes. I'll leave on the 8:45 train and get into Long Beach around 11:30, about 20 minutes is waiting for connections. We're an hour drive from the ports. We drive in for weekend cruises and cruises leaving out of San Pedro.

We've taken the Red, Purple, Orange, Light Blue and Blue Metrorail lines. Also the San Bernardino and Ventura Metrolink trains. For whatever reason the Orange line bus (San Fernando Valley) has the most issues. Even more than the Blue line going thru Watts/South Central/Compton or the lines going thru the 7th street transfer station.

• 4 weeks later...