Houston to Galveston

c&d

We used a car service. We went in two nights early so ship shuttle wasn't an option. I think we paid about $150 for an SUV. It was only two of us so if you can split it with somebody it would be cheaper. We got in really late so I didn't want to mess with hunting and looking.

After hours and hours of research I found that Galveston Express is the least expensive option, however not necessarily the most convenient.

That said...we booked a one-way car from IAH to Galveston through Enterprise as we're flying in a day early & this gives us transportation to look around during our limited time in Galveston (and that one day rental is less than the fare for 2 via cab or other shuttle service) - on the ride back to IAH we booked with Galveston Express due to their inexpensive rates (we paid $55 for 2 seniors). :)

It really seems (to me anyway) that getting to Galveston port from either of the 2 Houston airports is a hassle and pretty expensive too. :confused:

Hi,

We used Galveston Express for our cruise this past week on Triumph. $75 round trip for two. We tipped $20.00 for the trip down there. On the return trip, we went to give cash and the driver high-tailed it back to the van before we could do so.

Keith picked us up at the airport within minutes of our flight. Good conversation. We even stopped at Buckees for some treats along our scenic drive. Dropped us off at The San Luis Resort (Great hotel and location) for the night as our cruise wasn't until the next morning. We were the only pick-up so things were super easy.

The return trip to Hobby yesterday wasn't as smooth, but we were fine with it. Pick-up should have been between 9:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. We weren't sure exactly where to meet up. Could have been our fault because I didn't read the information the morning of. We phoned and were told our pick-up would be there shortly. Pick-up was about 25 minutes late. Although I feel that it was due to the group that had to be picked up and brought to port. Just my hunch. We were fine with time since our flight wasn't until after 1:00 p.m. but one of the other group members wasn't overly happy since they felt they would be late for the 1:00 p.m. IAH flight and there was still another group that needed to be picked up. I could understand, but I felt that there would be enough time.

Would we use them again? Yes.

• 2 weeks later...
Booked Galveston Limousine Service for shuttle to Galveston hotel the day before cruise and back to airport. Times suited us better than Galveston Express.

How much was the transfer? Were there any extra charges other than just the transfer cost and sales tax?

I'm looking to rent a car one way also, but I'm having trouble finding one. Where did you get yours?

Enterprise is literally the only rental car place in Galveston and they don't always have 1 way's available. We used Galveston Express last week to get down to the port but rented a car to get back to Houston (we were staying for a few days).

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking to rent a car one way also, but I'm having trouble finding one. Where did you get yours?

we booked with Budget, they are in Texas City which is about 20-30 minute drive to the pier. I figure we can taxi or uber it to the pier once we drop the car off. Enterprise wanted to add $100 drop off fee so that's why we didnt use them. We booked thru priceline and got a pretty decent deal :)

our cruise is Oct 25th... I'll come back and let you know how it all went and if its worth it. :)