Recent Cruisers: Warm Cabins?

Midwestern Cruiser

This thread concerns me a little bit. My wife and I are taking our first cruse on the inspiration in October. We will be in cab E5 an interior cabin at the front of the ship.

Anyway temperature is more then just a comfort thing for us. My wife has MS and if she gets over heated she can have real problems walking. Have a place where she can cool off is paramount. Especially at night. Is there anything I can do to avoid these issues? What can be done if they show up mid cruise?

Probably nothing if Mother Nature is keeping the air warm and humid.

I've never once experienced a cabin too warm for my personal comfort. In fact, it's usually too cool in my wife's opinion. But then, we don't keep our thermostat at home at a ridiculously low temp. I have a feeling that most complaints you see on CC about "warm cabins" are from folks acclimated to indoor temps of 68 to 72 degrees. Before marrying, I used to keep the thermostat on 72 myself. Now, after having acclimated to 76 degrees, I realize how much electricity I wasted back then, and for no reason. In summary, if you are used to temps in the upper sixties to low seventies, then yes, your stateroom will probably feel a little warm to you.

Edited by Towel Critter

I've never once experienced a cabin too warm for my personal comfort. In fact, it's usually too cool in my wife's opinion. But then, we don't keep our thermostat at home at a ridiculously low temp. I have a feeling that most complaints you see on CC about "warm cabins" are from folks acclimated to indoor temps of 68 to 72 degrees. Before marrying, I used to keep the thermostat on 72 myself. Now, after having acclimated to 76 degrees, I realize how much electricity I wasted back then, and for no reason. In summary, if you are used to temps in the upper sixties to low seventies, then yes, your stateroom will probably feel a little warm to you.

Yes there are many that 76 is a "tad warm"... in fact to many with an interior room that would be like a sauna. As you stated it's an opinion and doubtfully held by many.

Edited by bobsfamily

Yes there are many that 76 is a "tad warm"... in fact to many with an interior room that would be like a sauna. As you stated it's an opinion and doubtfully held by many.

Why would an interior room be warmer than an ocean view room or balcony? Physics says it should be just the opposite. Ocean view rooms have exterior walls and a large window. Balcony rooms have those two things, plus a glass door. Also, I never stated that any room stays at 76. I stated that 76 is what our home thermometer is set at. I will say, however, that I've never had a stateroom on a Carnival ship that wouldn't cool off to a minimum of what felt like 76 degrees. In fact, in every room we've had, had we chosen to do so, we could have gotten the temp down to below 76. 70? Probably not. 74, or 75? Probably. At any rate, arguing temperature in regard to personal comfort is pointless. It's relative... which was the point I made in my earlier post.

Why would an interior room be warmer than an ocean view room or balcony? Physics says it should be just the opposite. Ocean view rooms have exterior walls and a large window. Balcony rooms have those two things, plus a glass door. Also, I never stated that any room stays at 76. I stated that 76 is what our home thermometer is set at. I will say, however, that I've never had a stateroom on a Carnival ship that wouldn't cool off to a minimum of what felt like 76 degrees. In fact, in every room we've had, had we chosen to do so, we could have gotten the temp down to below 76. 70? Probably not. 74, or 75? Probably. At any rate, arguing temperature in regard to personal comfort is pointless. It's relative... which was the point I made in my earlier post.

Exactly...in Phoenix where the air temperature is 110 degrees an air conditioned home at 78 degrees feels wonderful (and it works wonders for the pocket book). Conversely if the outside temperature drops below 68 degrees I know many people who crank on the heat to "warm" it up and locals tend to haul out the winter woolies and coats if it gets below 60. Where I now live kids head off to school in shorts and t-shirts even on the coolest fall days.

Your funny... ever thought of writing for a comic?

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by bobsfamily

Your funny... ever thought of writing for a comic?

I've had enough - Have a wonderful cruise!

I am funny. :D I'm also speaking the truth. Please correct me where I have misspoken, but thanks for the compliment. ;) And thanks for the well wishes on my cruise. Back at you. I hope you're next cruise is a great one too. Seriously.

We were on the freedom recently deck 7 interior and the cabin was FREEZING. We had to set it on the warm side of the dial several times to warm it up. Not sure if leaving the curtains open warms it up but it was ice cold in our cabin

Am I married to you? ;)I kid, but I know exactly what you're saying. We sometimes have to turn the dial toward red too, as my wife gets cold easily. I wish I had a link, but I read an article a while back about temperatures in offices and comfort levels in regard to males and females. The article stated that most males are comfy at 74 degrees, whereas most females are more comfortable at 77. It didn't mention it in the article, but I suspect one's weight factors into that as well, probably even more so than gender.

Usually I'm not that worried about things but a warm cabin is a deal breaker. We had one a couple of cruises ago ( it seems to be no rhyme nor reason sometimes) and I called and went to desk right away. No one came so about an hour later I was back at the desk and stayed their until someone came with me to see how hot it was... not happy people but guess what? It got fixed! Some "valve" was turned the wrong way, some other passenger was freezing, blah, blah... whatever the room now was cold! Stayed that way the rest of the cruise and yes people got a nice tip.

We had this exact same issue in 2010 on the Valor.

On the previous cruise, the occupants in our room had apparently been cold and had the "valve" or whatever turned off. A a staff-member turned it back on in response to our complaints!

We had this exact same issue in 2010 on the Valor.

On the previous cruise, the occupants in our room had apparently been cold and had the "valve" or whatever turned off. A a staff-member turned it back on in response to our complaints!

It's not just Carnival, this last time it was on Celebrity. Same valve "problem", go figure.

This thread concerns me a little bit. My wife and I are taking our first cruse on the inspiration in October. We will be in cab E5 an interior cabin at the front of the ship.

Anyway temperature is more then just a comfort thing for us. My wife has MS and if she gets over heated she can have real problems walking. Have a place where she can cool off is paramount. Especially at night. Is there anything I can do to avoid these issues? What can be done if they show up mid cruise?

My college age daughter has the same disease. Heat can affect her walking, and also makes her throw up. Carnival has a special needs department. We requested a fan for the cabin through them on our past couple cruises, and it was there when we boarded. I always pack a small one, just in case. We have started cruising from November through the end of March, and have not had an issue with hot cabins since then. Although when she was around 16, we had a cabin that was fine when we went to sleep, but got up to around 76 in the middle of the night. She came back from the teen club and after 15 minutes got sick. I immediately called guest services, told them she threw up from the heat, and they immediately came and fixed it. It worked fine after that, so they can fix the problem if they are inspired to do so.

We've had warm cabins, but our two HOT cabins have both been on Carnival.

On Carnival Victory, we had a beautiful OV on deck 2 at the back of the ship that was too warm the entire time, despite multiple visits from maintenance. They even removed the grill entirely, which proceeded to blow a bunch of black foam bits onto the floor. Luckily, the spa showers were nice, as I didn't dare take a shower in the cabin to add more humidity.

We had an inside cabin on lido deck on the Sunshine that was miserable beyond belief... After 2 days of bi%&^ing and 3 maintenance visits, it got the temperature down to barely tolerable. I would have slept outside if it didn't pour rain every night.

We had the same problem the other way in Alaska on the Miracle. We couldn't shut down the heat! As soon as we got to the room, the clothes would start flying.

Conversely, we had an inside on the Empress deck on the Dream that would just about put ice on the mirrors. Just right. ;)

Others have been OK. Hopefully, our upcoming trips will be fine...

Wendy

My college age daughter has the same disease. Heat can affect her walking' date=' and also makes her throw up. Carnival has a special needs department. We requested a fan for the cabin through them on our past couple cruises, and it was there when we boarded. I always pack a small one, just in case. We have started cruising from November through the end of March, and have not had an issue with hot cabins since then. Although when she was around 16, we had a cabin that was fine when we went to sleep, but got up to around 76 in the middle of the night. She came back from the teen club and after 15 minutes got sick. I immediately called guest services, told them she threw up from the heat, and they immediately came and fixed it. It worked fine after that, so they can fix the problem if they are inspired to do so.[/quote']

Thank you. That's good to know. It sounded pretty bleak for a while there. 76 would be uncomfortable but I'd deal with it, but she can have real problems. It's good to know that things can be done. I don't mind being a plight squeaky wheel.

We are traveling at the end of October so hopefully it isn't a issue at night.

Hi, just off the Carnival Dream, stayed in a grande suite, ac was always set to lowest/coldest setting, I never got cold, we even kept the balcony door closed! Most nights I was sweating hot.

68 to me is too hot to sleep...

But we knew we'd be warmer since it's Aug/Sept. We didn't have these issue when we traveled in cooler months.