Gift card question

LewesBeach

My daughter is getting remarried and wants to take her new "blended family" of 6 on a Disney Cruise. I want to give her a gift card for a wedding present that she can use towards the PURCHASE of the cruise, not on board use. Has anyone done this? Is it available? Thx!

Berni

My daughter is getting remarried and wants to take her new "blended family" of 6 on a Disney Cruise. I want to give her a gift card for a wedding present that she can use towards the PURCHASE of the cruise, not on board use. Has anyone done this? Is it available? Thx!

Berni

Disney Gift Cards can be used toward the cost of a cruise. As well as applied to the onboard account.

Be sure you get Disney Gift Cards that display the DCL logo. There are also Disney Store Gift Cards that are not good toward DCL.

We used gift cards to pay for our last cruise in its entirety. A couple of caveats/gotchas that you or your daughter should be aware of:

1. If you use multiple gift cards (we could only get the gift cards in $500 increments), you are better off calling DCL guest services to make payment. The web site is not set up to handle multiple gift cards for a single payment.

2. KEEP THE SPENT GIFT CARDS UNTIL THE CRUISE IS OVER!! If for any reason DCL needs to refund you money, the refund will be applied to the gift card(s). If you don't have them any more, getting the refund can be tricky.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rgds

Eric

Another tip--if you have a Target credit card, you can get a 5% discount on the gift cards (pay $95 for $100 value of gift card).

As above, keep the used cards until after the cruise and be sure that you get DISNEY gift cards, not Disney STORE gift cards. The store cards can only be used in the store or at disneystore.com.

How can you use the DCL gift cards on the ship..this might be a good idea as a gift for my grandson going on the Dream for his birthday. That was he could purchase things he wants himself...Is this possible :)

There are a few places on the ships that you can use a Disney gift card--basically the gift shops and only then if you get a cooperative CM. The ship was originally set up as a totally cashless system with all charges going to the KTTW card. All forms of payment were handled at Guest Services. Then they started allowing credit cards for big purchases in the gift shops, and now they sometimes accept gift cards. The bars (you get smoothies and stuff there too), etc. are not set up for anything other than KTTW cards. You CAN take a gift card to GS to pay off a KTTW account.

Remember that there is NO security with a gift card--if a child loses it, too bad. With a KTTW card, they are trained to ask for your room number when you use it and to verify with their on screen info. It also gives them the name, age, etc. of the person and in some locations a photo.

There are a few places on the ships that you can use a Disney gift card--basically the gift shops and only then if you get a cooperative CM. The ship was originally set up as a totally cashless system with all charges going to the KTTW card. All forms of payment were handled at Guest Services. Then they started allowing credit cards for big purchases in the gift shops' date=' and now they sometimes accept gift cards. The bars (you get smoothies and stuff there too), etc. are not set up for anything other than KTTW cards. You CAN take a gift card to GS to pay off a KTTW account.

Remember that there is NO security with a gift card--if a child loses it, too bad. With a KTTW card, they are trained to ask for your room number when you use it and to verify with their on screen info. It also gives them the name, age, etc. of the person and in some locations a photo.[/quote']

Thanks for getting back to me. He is only 5 so we would hold his gift cards. The cruise is a birthday surprise for him, no party this year. We thought the Disney gift cards from family members and friends would be an option for a gift since he will not be home on his birthday but sailing on the Dream. It was hoped he could use his gift cards to purchase gifts and goodies he liked while cruising. Maybe we need to rethink it :confused:

Thanks for getting back to me. He is only 5 so we would hold his gift cards. The cruise is a birthday surprise for him, no party this year. We thought the Disney gift cards from family members and friends would be an option for a gift since he will not be home on his birthday but sailing on the Dream. It was hoped he could use his gift cards to purchase gifts and goodies he liked while cruising. Maybe we need to rethink it :confused:

With a child, you can choose whether they have charging or not on their KTTW card. For a 5 year old I'd say not, but to each his own. The good thing is that at this age the child will not be running around the ship on his own and you will also be keeping his KTTW card. He does not need it in the programming.

The easiest thing would be for you to pay if you are allowing him to buy something. If you choose, you can hand him the KTTW card and let him give it to the CM at the register. If he doesn't have charging, this would be your card with you standing right there. You can even take him along to GS to apply any gift cards he might have and you can teach him about the process. If he purchases "take home" items on the cruise, remember to plan in advance for room in the suitcases!

With a child' date=' you can choose whether they have charging or not on their KTTW card. For a 5 year old I'd say not, but to each his own. The good thing is that at this age the child will not be running around the ship on his own and you will also be keeping his KTTW card. He does not need it in the programming.

The easiest thing would be for you to pay if you are allowing him to buy something. If you choose, you can hand him the KTTW card and let him give it to the CM at the register. If he doesn't have charging, this would be your card with you standing right there. You can even take him along to GS to apply any gift cards he might have and you can teach him about the process. If he purchases "take home" items on the cruise, remember to plan in advance for room in the suitcases![/quote']

You have given me an idea...:D If I read you correctly,...I can take the little guy to GS to have any birthday DCL gift cards applied to his KTTW card....That way while on the cruise, if he sees something he really wants (like a Mickey) we can allow him to swipe his own card and teach him how to work the process. I think he would get a kick out of that :) Will he get any balance applied back to his card if he doesn't use all his funds? I think I read we need to save the card...And thanks for the tip about allowing space to bring his presents back...lol...I forgot all about that :eek::D

You have given me an idea...:D If I read you correctly,...I can take the little guy to GS to have any birthday DCL gift cards applied to his KTTW card....That way while on the cruise, if he sees something he really wants (like a Mickey) we can allow him to swipe his own card and teach him how to work the process. I think he would get a kick out of that :) Will he get any balance applied back to his card if he doesn't use all his funds? I think I read we need to save the card...And thanks for the tip about allowing space to bring his presents back...lol...I forgot all about that :eek::D

Yes, he can take any DISNEY gift cards to GS to be applied to his account, and he can hand his KTTW card to a CM to pay for purchases. Yes, any remaining balance can be re-applied to the gift cards. Be aware that lines at GS on the last day can be long! DO keep the gift cards. The process to get a refund if the gift cards are missing is quite lengthy.

Be sure they are DISNEY gift cards, not DISNEY STORE cards. The store cards are no good on the ship.

Also, his standard tips will be applied to his account if you keep charging on his card. You can work around this by going to GS and placing the tip amounts on your credit card or by pre-paying the tips for the entire cabin. And if you book any excursions for him, they will also show up on his account.

If there is no charging on his card, all the above charges will show up on your account.

Yes' date=' he can take any DISNEY gift cards to GS to be applied to his account, and he can hand his KTTW card to a CM to pay for purchases. Yes, any remaining balance can be re-applied to the gift cards. Be aware that lines at GS on the last day can be long! DO keep the gift cards. The process to get a refund if the gift cards are missing is quite lengthy.

Be sure they are DISNEY gift cards, not DISNEY STORE cards. The store cards are no good on the ship.

Also, his standard tips will be applied to his account if you keep charging on his card. You can work around this by going to GS and placing the tip amounts on your credit card or by pre-paying the tips for the entire cabin. And if you book any excursions for him, they will also show up on his account.

If there is no charging on his card, all the above charges will show up on your account.[/quote']

The cruise is already paid in full. His KTTW will only have his birthday DCL gift cards on it, "IF" he gets any. Most of the family doesn't know yet that he is going on a cruise for his birthday instead of his mom having a party. Once they know, I am sure someone will get him a few gift cards plus, they will most likely give him plenty of Disney stuff to take with him. I just want it to be all about him and that he has a very special birthday cruise. He is Autistic and already tells us everyday "my birthday I want to go on Disney Cruise and play in Nemo pool" Time to get in the car and go to Disney Cruise" I smile and cry at the same time because he never shows this much excitement about anything and it brings joy to my heart and soul to see him so happy. He even searches the internet for Disney (AND FINDS IT) to look at the ship and splash areas. I just love this little guy to pieces. THANKS for your help :D

Of course your cruise is paid in full. It has to be. But that doesn't mean you paid the tips in advance, and you don't pay for any excursions till you actually board the ship.

Um....I hate to tell you this, but if you allow a 5 year old to have charging, you have to sign financial responsibility for him. There is no limit to the charging he will have and his KTTW card will have to be tied to your credit card or your other pay source. One of the biggest weaknesses in the DCL system is that there is no way to limit the charging that a kid may have. They either have it or they don't, and if they do it is unlimited.

Of course your cruise is paid in full. It has to be. But that doesn't mean you paid the tips in advance' date=' and you don't pay for any excursions till you actually board the ship.

Um....I hate to tell you this, but if you allow a 5 year old to have charging, you have to sign financial responsibility for him. There is no limit to the charging he will have and his KTTW card will have to be tied to your credit card or your other pay source. One of the biggest weaknesses in the DCL system is that there is no way to limit the charging that a kid may have. They either have it or they don't, and if they do it is unlimited.[/quote']

I guess I didnt make myself VERY CLEAR...He is Autistic,..HE WILL NOT have possession of his card, WE WILL....WE will however allow him to be a BIG BOY and use the card to swipe the machine "IF" that is how it is done, other wise WE will do it all for him. Just trying as you had mentioned earlier to allow him to see how process works. Even without being Autistic, I/WE would not allow a 5 year old to be responsible for his own card. That would be irresponsible on our part. Lol..He doesnt know how to buy/purchase/swipe or anything else. He doesnt know about money or buying. He is a sweet innocent little boy who can't wait to cruise on Disney ship and see Nemo. His spending will be HIS BIRTHDAY GIFT CARD applied to his KTTW card "IF" allowed. Whatever else he needs or wants we as always, will be more than happy to get for him. We dont plan to do any excusions and gratuities are done, so as I said the cruise is paid for :D I appreciate your concern and advice. :);)

I hope the cruise is everything he's dreaming of.....enjoy.

Unless the system has changed, we never swiped our own cards. We handed them to the CMs who did that on their registers.

In case you want to know--the chicken fingers are good. Once upon a time, that was my DD's favorite on the ship.

I hope the cruise is everything he's dreaming of.....enjoy.

Unless the system has changed' date=' we never swiped our own cards. We handed them to the CMs who did that on their registers.

In case you want to know--the chicken fingers are good. Once upon a time, that was my DD's favorite on the ship.[/quote']

Awwwwww so sweet!!! He has just learned to eat and like chicken fingers. That is good to know because he is limited to what he eats. We just recently added chicken nuggets after trying for 4 years...lol...I am one proud Gi-Gi :D It is the small things for us that makes him and us happy. Most people who dont live in our world can never get it. Those families who share our sniff-sniff...well you get the picture...they totally get how something so small as eating a chicken nugget is huge :) Thanks again for your help..I too hope his birthday cruise is ALL HE DREAMS it will be;)